Cellphone Jammers - Illegal

Sam1

Ran across this tonight while doing research for class: http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-12-347A1.pdf

Says cell/GPS jammers are illegal to use, import, advertise or sale in the US now (FCC 3/2012). The thread that was discussing them previously was locked, & this was important info to share with everyone asking - I was ignorant of the law myself.

[quote name="Sam1" post="872723" timestamp="1356926176"]Really good for bomb squads working on on a cell trigger[/quote] I'm certain that organizations that deal with such threats have such equipment available. I'm certain that they aren't too different than the ones we had downrange.
[quote name="Sam1" post="872723" timestamp="1356926176"]Really good for bomb squads working on on a cell trigger[/quote] I should probably amend my previous statement, I have heard of mostly petty reasons to use them. As with most anything there are good uses and bad uses. A bomb squad using one to jam a signal on a remotely detonated bomb is a good use, turning one on in a store/movie theater because your offended by others cell usage is not. I don't think they should be illegal, but anyone who uses one capable of effecting others outside of their property should be fined.
  • Like 2
That's where I'm coming from Will H. So many people here would never think of leaving home without a gun because they are the most efficient way to protect you and yours, would you be without the most effective tool for comunication? Keep in mind you are statistically less likely to use a firearm in self defense within two lifetimes than you are to have a legitimate use for a phone. Personally I would not step foot in any business that used them, more pleasant movie experience or not.
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Will H" data-cid="872770" data-time="1356928575"><p>
Unless someone in that theater did not get an emergency call that something had happened to someone important to them. Then you might would feel a bit bad.</p></blockquote>

What did we do before we had cell phones?
[quote name="orientalexpress" post="872798" timestamp="1356930437"]< What did we do before we had cell phones?[/quote] People often died from medical emergencies that could have been mitigated had there been communication to emergency services. What did we do before 911? What did we do before antibiotics? What did we do before an Internet to bitch about there being too much connectivity?
  • Administrator
Not exactly the same. Unless YOU are a surgeon/doctor I doubt you or anyone reading this has ever had a life or death situation that could have been resolved with a cell phone.

I was personally afforded a few extra minutes with someone I cared about deeply as the result of a cell phone.  Had I not received that call, they would have passed away and I wouldn't have had that chance to tell them I loved them one last time.

So, uh... no.

• Like 2
[quote name="orientalexpress" post="872809" timestamp="1356930979"]Not exactly the same. Unless YOU are a surgeon/doctor I doubt you or anyone reading this has ever had a life or death situation that could have been resolved with a cell phone.[/quote] Haha, okay pal. If I see you having a heart attack I'll remember not to whip out my cell phone and call 911 for you, since it would do no good in your opinion.

I think people are just frustrated right now with what is going on politically, with an inability to locate ammo, with all the bad press out there about gun owners, etc.  People are upset, touchy, and argumentative.  Hopefully things will get back to "normal" and people can calm down.

• Like 1
No, I would have responded that way regardless of the times. The individual making the comment was being disingenuous or purposefully ignorant. Either way, to suggest that having commo does nothing in the realm of saving someone's life is incredibly stupid. If that were the case we wouldn't have 911, ambulances or fire trucks. What would be the point if you couldn't get a hold of them. Just plain stupid.
  • Like 1
[quote name="Will H" post="872839" timestamp="1356932934"]My comment was not aimed at you good sir.  Sorry for the CORNfusion.[/quote] Oh, I just figured since I came off surly I was included. Just wanted to clarify I'm always like this. Carry on!

I despise talking on a phone, can't tell you why I just don't like it.  After living in an area where my phone did not work at home, work, or in between I quit carrying a cell phone.  Now that I'm living back in civilization I still don't have one, nor do I plan to get one.  As necessary I do have a Straighttalk phone that I activate as needed for trips and stuff.  It just wouldn't bother me if my phone didn't work in a certain location.  You always have the option not to patronize that place if you don't like it.  I know that a phone can be a great tool, nothing against people that carry them.  Coming unplugged has made my life a lot simpler though. 

• Like 1
Unless someone in that theater did not get an emergency call that something had happened to someone important to them.  Then you might would feel a bit bad.

Those are the same people that will turn them off when they are tired and want to sleep.  The same people that cause accidents using them while driving.  The same people that will come into the store with one stuck to their face and then wonder why the staff "ignored" them while they wandered the shop.  The same ones that WILL use them while operating their heavy equipment like a fork lift, in contravention of the local company policy claiming they don't want to miss that emergency call when it's clearly stated the company has land lines, don't use them, but the next day when they want some folks to come in early, that cell phone don't work worth a damn!  Screw cell phones and the society that has become dependent upon them.