Very important! Rep. Joe Carr is looking to file a bill to protect our rights!

Representative Joe Carr is looking to file a bill that would state that the state of Tennessee will not enforce any new unconstitutional gun laws coming out of Washington. He expressed to me how important it is for everyone to email him a show of support so that he has the weight to push this through. Please pass this along to all of your friends and family and ask them to take just a brief moment to email support to him. The email address is joecarr48@gmail.com
Thanks,
Luke
Guest jeannen

That is fantastic!  He's my rep so I'll call and email right away to give my support.

Representative Joe Carr is looking to file a bill that would state that the state of Tennessee will not enforce any new unconstitutional gun laws coming out of Washington. He expressed to me how important it is for everyone to email him a show of support so that he has the weight to push this through. Please pass this along to all of your friends and family and ask them to take just a brief moment to email support to him. The email address is joecarr48@gmail.com
Thanks,
Luke

Even if he is not your Rep. email him anyways. This bill will be for the entire state so as long as you are a TN resident then fire away. And don't forget to have all family and friends do the same. I'm going to try and pass this to some of the radio talk show host and see if they will give it more exposure. I have no doubt that there is tremendous support for this bill but everyone has to let that support be known or it won't get any traction.

I got a VERY rapid response from my senator shown below. It took all of 9 minutes to get a reply!

Yesterday I co-sponsored legislation in the Senate that would prohibit any state funds or personnel from being used in any kind of federal, gun-confiscation program.  Thank you for your support and your concern.

Senator Bill Ketron
Republican Caucus Chairman
Tennessee State Senate•District 13
5 Legislative Plaza
Nashville, TN 37243
P: (615) 741-6853
F: (615) 253-0282
sen.bill.ketron@capitol.tn.gov

Sent: Friday, January 11, 2013 9:28 AM
To: joecarr48@gmail.com
Cc: Mike Sparks; Bill Ketron
Subject: Washington's Potentially Unconstitutional Gun Laws.

Representative Carr:

It is my understanding that you are looking to file a bill that would state that the state of Tennessee will not enforce any new unconstitutional gun laws coming out of Washington. I want to tell you that I’d support said action. My representative and senator are copied as well so that they know where I stand on the matter too.

• Like 1

Just realize that bill also states they will not do it "unless" the federal government pays for it.  Not quite the same as will not do it completely.  That is if it is bill HB0010.

Edited by Hozzie

Just realize that bill also states they will not do it "unless" the federal government pays for it. Not quite the same as will not do it completely. That is if it is bill HB0010.

Pay for what Hozzie? I'm not sure of the bill number. Rep Carr lives down the road from me and from what I gathered the bill he spoke of had not been put out there yet but I am assuming and we all know what that does. I did read part of the bill a Wyoming politician put forth and liked it a lot. It actually stated that there would be laws against anyone state or federal trying to enforce those laws within her state lines.
  • Moderators

HB0010 was introduced by Faison in the House and and the equivalent bill in the Senate is SB0040 introduced by Niceley. The origination of this thread is supposedly Rep. Carr is interested in introducing more legislature (hopefully even better than HB0010).

• Moderators

HB0010 (to me) isn't as much about protecting the 2nd Amendment, but more about protecting the budget against something the feds would be requiring. In essence, it is saying that we (TN) aren't going to do this unless you pay for it.

HB0010 isn't all bad though. Imagine if every state in the union passed a similar bill, stating that they will only cooperate if the Feds pay for it. That would in of itself be a blow against certain gun control measures.

HB0010 was introduced by Faison in the House and and the equivalent bill in the Senate is SB0040 introduced by Niceley. The origination of this thread is supposedly Rep. Carr is interested in introducing more legislature (hopefully even better than HB0010).

This is what I was told by him this morning. Not heard from a friend that heard from a friend but from Rep. Carr himself.
  • Moderators

This is what I was told by him this morning. Not heard from a friend that heard from a friend but from Rep. Carr himself.

I sent him an email stating support for such a bill and have yet to hear back from him. I hope he does submit such a bill. But until a few pro gun bills pass into law into Tennessee, I will still be skeptical whether or not Haslam will sign any of them. I also have no idea whether congress has the support to override such a veto. 

I would like to discuss with a representative about how likely some of this stuff is to be passed. Haslam has opposed a few things that would seem common sense to many people on the forum here.

Cz9mm, I just thought of something. Joe pushes some pretty important bills through each year and seems to work diligently on each of them. As of the last couple of days they passed a new limit of 15 bills per year that any one representative can bring forward. Which is why he wants to measure support before he burns one of them. If he pushes forward with it I would think that it means he believes there is a good chance of getting it through. My .02
  • Moderators

As of the last couple of days they passed a new limit of 15 bills per year that any one representative can bring forward.

Interesting. I did not know that.

Which is why he wants to measure support before he burns one of them. If he pushes forward with it I would think that it means he believes there is a good chance of getting it through. My .02

Well, something in the form of what Wyoming has proposed recently would probably be a step in the (more) right direction.

I was reading the bill Wyoming is proposing. (H.B. 0104). Amends W.S. 6-8-405. It basically tells the Federal Gov to butt out. Any law they pass that is unconstitutional and violates the Constitution, bill of rights, or the declaration of independence is null and void in their state.

And any federal officer that comes into the state will be arrested and spend 1-5 years in jail and face a fine.

This covers all guns, high capacity magazines, firearm accessories, ammunition owned and or manufactured in the state as long as they don't leave the state.

Texas, Oklahoma are following suite. Tennessee needs to do the same. The President is ignoring the congress and the Constitution.

We need to protect ourselves from this tyranny and unlawful President.

This is all about power and destroying our country. It has absolutely nothing to do with safety.

• Like 1

The question was asked by Peace but remains unanswered. Why is this going to a gmail address instead of his official email at: rep.joe.carr@capitol.tn.gov?

Edited by PapaB

The question was asked by Peace but remains unanswered. Why is this going to a gmail address instead of his official email at: rep.joe.carr@capitol.tn.gov?

I don't know the answer to this. It is just the one he gave me to have interest in this bill sent to. Could be an email that he personally checks versus political "official" emails that hired hands sort through and send back a generic 'thank you for your response" message.. I have no idea though.

I would email him, but why is it not his "official email" listed?? I don't want to be duped. ... And I don't want all of us to look foolish if we are copying our own reps on this. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sorry man i missed this one. I just answered this on the 1st line of the 2nd page. Idk why but it is the one given to me by Joe. Take a look at the post i made on the next page but i don't know why he wanted it sent there rather than the .gov address. Not to mention i dont think anyone will look stupid for expressing their desire for a bill such as this.. We all should be doing it regardless.

Letter sent and cc'd to my local Rep and Senator also. I've been wondering if language could be included to convey de facto legal status to law abiding firearms owners as members of a "well regulated militia". With roughly 2,000 existing firearms laws on the books, if that doesn't qualify for well regulated, I don't know what does, The language would simply reinforce the 2nd Amendment, as applies to a "free State". 

• Moderators

I went ahead and sent a supportive email to the Gmail listed, but I also carbon copied it to his official .gov. I did get a response from his Gmail. All it consisted of was "Thanks". 

:shrug: