help picking 45

Joe357

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old, small, and weak hands has me worried that a auto could be challenging. My FIL has a Glock that he can longer load the magazine on and he has a hard time racking the slide but it is doable. Don't feel bad because I also know a athletic female that can't rack most slides without the use of a hard object. If this isn't a carry gun then a Glock 21 would be good option, it weighs so much it may recoil less than most all othe center fire autos. Of course 1911's with their weight recoil smoothly.
Let me explain a little more. I shoot m&p 9 compact, ruger sr9 compact, cz 75 p07 duty, sig p938 all 9mm
I don't have a problem handling these. What I am asking is a 45 with similar size, action and recoil. Edited by JoeW
I have a G30SF and I love the size vs a G21. I have normal sized man hands but prefer a slimmer grip. If you are set on a 45 then the 30SF might be a good choice for smaller hands. The 30SF is a great compact 45, I even use G21 mags in it and find its a great fit.

I actually sold my traded my G21 for my G17 because I liked the slimmer feel.

Are you looking for a full size .45 for the range, or a .45 to carry?  If carry, I just got the XDs and it's pretty sweet.  Needless to say, it's really small.

If you're looking for a full size, why not a 1911?  The single stack generally has a smaller grip, and the weight absorbs the recoil. 

Just my $0.02.

If you want to stay under a $1000 for a 1911,try looking at the Springfield Range Officer I picked mine up for about $780 total (with tax and backround) and it shoots as good as my NightHawk GRP,and my Wilson Combat CQB LE.

if you like that 1911 style...take a look at a sig p238 or a sig p938... academy sports in smyrna had like 4 different p938's in the case this morning

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't find the recoil on a .45 ACP any more unpleasant or more difficult to shoot than a 9mm. The .45 pushes back into the hand, whereas the 9mm has more flip at the muzzle end. But I enjoy shooting both.

That said, I would recommend a M&P 45 either full size or compact all day long.

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't find the recoil on a .45 ACP any more unpleasant or more difficult to shoot than a 9mm. The .45 pushes back into the hand, whereas the 9mm has more flip at the muzzle end. But I enjoy shooting both.

That said, I would recommend a M&P 45 either full size or compact all day long.

I can sure feel a difference with my Glocks. My 45 hand loads are a little toasty, and I always shoot 230's. I always shoot factory range ammo in my 9's.

I'm a Glock guy, but agree that M&P's are sweet shooters in any caliber. Can't go wrong.

Thanks for all the replies. What I am thinking is go to a few different gun ranges that have different types of 45's for rent and see which ones feel right if any. I do have m&p 9mm and sr9 both compact may start my search with these in 45, if they don't work move to the 1911. Which would be metal frame
Went to G&L today and rented a glock 45. Put 47 rounds down range without a problem on my part
I did have a few double strikes and 3 fail to fire.
I must agree that the recoil is different then a 9 mm. The
45 is more of a push, where as a 9mm is more barrel muzzle lift. Anyway no problem handling a 45.

I was wondering if anyone has any recent experience with the Remington 1911?