Canoe nitemare!

UncleJak

Saturday, I took the kids canoeing at the lake. BAD IDEA! It was my littlest first time(she is 7) so i was trying to keep her at ease. The water was super choppy and the wind was blowing crazy! We put in and were instantly swept towards the dam (a small dam- not really dangerous). It took everything me and my son had to spin the canoe around. We finally got it going in the right direction and were once again swept back! He was scared and I was trying to decide what to do. I told him we needed to get the boat to shore, and fast. Several times we had to lean forward to keep the boat steadier from the massive waves! We got a few feet from the shore and could go no further. My son (who is only 11) was riding in the front and I was trying to power paddle. He bravely jumped out of the boat and pulled us to the shore through thick mud and crazy cold water. We finally got my daughter out and she never realized anything was wrong. What a day!

• Like 1

I had a bad canoe experience also, but it would take too long to write.  Let's just say fat guys shouldn't be in canoes because they turn over, and your kid gets dunked, and his happy meal goes all over the cove with thousands of french fries covering the water.  Was a day we will always remember...funny now, but not then :)  B

That's good for that boy though. Learning bravery and acquiring the balls to what is necessary cannot be accomplished over night. Kings to your boy for manning up for his old man and his sister. When your a crusty old fart in a nursing home somewhere that'll be a great story for reminiscing. "Hey pops, remember when.............."
  • Like 4

Canoes and choppy water can be a little sketchy.  Glad you guys made it back ok.

I still have the Coleman Scanoe that I grew up fishing in with my dad.  We would go down to Decatur, AL and fish the back waters of the Tennessee River.  Once day dad decided he wanted to fish the other side of the river.  We had a little 3.5 hp motor mounted so we scooted across to the other side with no problems.  While on that side, a thunderstorm blew up.  That had to be about 1980 and I still vividly remember crossing the main channel in the thunderstorm and real choppy water.

Cold water is very dangerous.  I would never go out in a canoe in the winter.  Even with a life jacket, that water will sap your energy and kill you a lot faster than you would think it could.

Some of my deer hunting is by canoe in December and January. I have had my 16 footer loaded with 2 people, stands, guns and often times one or more deer. Stabilize your loads, use some common sense and all will be fine. Life jackets are a MUST in winter, but should be worn at ALL times! Nothing like busting through a skin of Ice to get to your hunting spot!

Dave S

• Admin Team

Dave's right. 

When you've got to be around cold water, you need to be wearing a proper PFD at a minimum!  People react differently to the shock of cold water immersion, but it's not uncommon for people to pass out or even have a cardiac event if they're already at risk.

With kids out there, you owe it to them to be in a position to help them if you wind up in the drink.

As the old saying goes, discretion is often the better part of valor.  That said, if you're going to be out there, don't give the reaper any easy shots.

Me and my "bitter-half" took a ride yesterday through Tellico and up North River to the Skyway...

on the way back the Tellico River had a lot of crazy folks in their kayaks! The river was running high and wild after all the rain we've had!

View from Bald River Falls Bridge... which was ice covered from the mist of the falls...

555164_586178028075812_675933855_n.jpg

184665_586166231410325_1645925757_n.jpg

• Like 1