TN Bill to remove restrictions on knife possession and carry

Details on the type of knife used aren't available just as details on the type of rifle or pistol used aren't.  All that I've ever found in years of studying this issue is anecdotes from LEOs and EMTs talking about how the vast majority of knives used in crimes are relatively inexpensive disposable kitchen/steak knives.  That makes sense considering a $100 switchblade isn't going to used for a throw away weapon and the cheapest thing a criminal can get their hands on is a kitchen knife filched from Wal/K Mart. 

Doug,

I doubt that information on the types of knives used in crimes would even be available without being able to see evidence photos so the knives could be accurately classified (if then).  That makes it effectively impossible to conduct a meaningful study.

As pointed out there are so few knife crimes in TN that to try to claim there's a threat is statistically indefensible (although fear mongers don't need facts). 

Edited by hso
Guest tangojuliet

Why give up until we have to?  The bill would had passed intact, preemption, switchblade, and length, in the Senate and would have passed last year in the House if it hadn't been subverted right before getting to the floor of the House.  That last hurdle where the Sheriff's association stabbed it in the back caused it to have switchblade and length provisions removed to pass preemption.  This year the Sheriff's association has participated in crafting the language of the proposed legislation and won't impede it.  So why quit before any serious opposition has been mounted?  Why cave before pushed?

just a back up plan good sir just a back up plan cause you never know what will happen..........

just a back up plan good sir just a back up plan cause you never know what will happen..........

This bill would make it legal for most folks to carry any length knife, or a club, not to mention loaded handgun or long gun. Doesn't address switchblades, though.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/76389-gun-rights-can-we-make-a-difference-for-tennessee/

- OS

Guest gunlobbyist
I'll tell you one thing...we are NOT waiting until next year. This bill is posed to pass. We just need folks to call their reps to help make it happen.

Todd Rathner
Knife Rights,
Director of Legislative Affairs

just a back up plan

hate to compromise but lets drop the switchblade and keep the length part some times we must pick and choose fights gentlemen and it seems that the switchblade part isnt gonna (excuse the pun) cut it

Sorry, I thought it was clear that you wanted to throw in the towel now instead of waiting for things to get tough.

Edited by hso
Guest tangojuliet

Sorry, I thought it was clear that you wanted to throw in the towel now instead of waiting for things to get tough.

sir i never give up but i do think tactically you must always have options open and to think this will go through without a hitch and not having a back up plan is foolhardy  to say the least will this bill pass as is ,more than likely. but in the current political spectrum things can change quickly 

Edited by tangojuliet
Guest tangojuliet

Could you guys not get the whole silly 'intent to go armed' with a switchblade knife felony charge removed for carrying a switchblade at a school?  The post about the boy in east TN getting a weapons charge over a knife shows how stupid this law is.

i think that is more a federal thing than state i unsure ill have to look in to it ....

Guest tangojuliet

I don't think there is a federal law against knives at schools.   In some states, you can legally carry a handgun at a school if you have a license.

its the whole weapons in school thing if i remember correctly 

its the whole weapons in school thing if i remember correctly 

The only federal law regarding schools and weapons I'm aware of is the very selectively enforced GFSZ, which concerns firearms only:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990

Federal law regarding switchblades has more to do with possession on federal properties and interstate shipping, and is even more selectively enforced, if at all.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest tangojuliet

The only federal law regarding schools and weapons I'm aware of is the very selectively enforced GFSZ, which concerns firearms only:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990

Federal law regarding switchblades has more to do with possession on federal properties and interstate shipping.

- OS

i thought it covered knives also hmmmmm well the more ya know ...

I had a lawyer tell me recently that the Lopez U.S. Supreme Court Case essentially struck down the federal government's power to regulate the bearing of arms in schools.  From what he said, it sounded like the Gun Free School Zone Act of 1990 was found unconstitutional and is now null.  I don't personally know how accurate that is, though.

Guest DCritter

The Tennessee House Criminal Justice Committee has passed HB1883. HB1883 now moves to the critical House Finance, Ways & Means Subcommittee. We need you to EMAIL or CALL the subcommittee members TODAY! HB1883 is the companion bill to SB1771 and would repeal the antiquated ban on switchblade (automatic) knives and possession of knives over four inches in length "with intent to go armed," a vague law subject to abuse.

If you live, work or travel in Tennessee, please contact the Subcommittee Members listed below and ask them to vote in favor of HB1883. If one of them is your Representative, then emphasize that fact when you call or email. You can find your Representative here: http://www.capitol.tn.gov/legislators/

Whether writing or calling, all that is necessary is to simply ask that they vote YES on HB1883. That's it, keep it short and to the point, PLEASE!

Rep. Mike Harrison, Chairman - rep.mike.harrison@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-7480
Rep. David Alexander - rep.david.alexander@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-8695
Rep. Joe Armstrong - rep.joe.armstrong@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-0768
Rep. Kevin Brooks - rep.kevin.brooks@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-1350
Rep. Karen D. Camper - rep.karen.camper@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-1898
Rep, Craig Fitzhugh - rep.craig.fitzhugh@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-2134
Rep. David Hawk - rep.david.hawk@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-7482
Rep. Gerald McCormick - rep.gerald.mccormick@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-2548
Rep. Steve McDaniel - rep.steve.mcdaniel@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-0750
Rep. Gary Odom - rep.gary.odom@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-4410
Rep. Dennis Roach - rep.dennis.roach@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-2534
Rep. Charles Sargent - rep.charles.sargent@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-6808

Here are just the email addresses to paste if you can make mailing lists with your email program, to send to all in one whack.

rep.mike.harrison@capitol.tn.gov
rep.david.alexander@capitol.tn.gov
rep.joe.armstrong@capitol.tn.gov
rep.kevin.brooks@capitol.tn.gov
rep.karen.camper@capitol.tn.gov
rep.craig.fitzhugh@capitol.tn.gov
rep.david.hawk@capitol.tn.gov
rep.gerald.mccormick@capitol.tn.gov
rep.steve.mcdaniel@capitol.tn.gov
rep.gary.odom@capitol.tn.gov
rep.dennis.roach@capitol.tn.gov
rep.charles.sargent@capitol.tn.gov

I've been sending this short email, FWIW:

"I urge you to vote yes on (bill number) regarding the lifting of prohibitions on knife carry.

It is absurd that I am trusted to carry a firearm in this state yet face a Class A misdemeanor for having a knife with a blade length of 4.1 inches, or a switchblade knife, which deploys no quicker than an already legal assisted opening model.

Sincerely,"

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 3