Google Chrome, IT Question

Lumber_Jack

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

most if not all companies and their IT people do not like their employees to install software on company owned machines unless it is approved by the IT department and higherups

Yes I understand that, but I want specific reasons NOT to reinstall Chrome.  I also know that some IT guys get their panties in a wad over brands and not specific issues.  I can override IT if I can prove it does not have a track record of problems

Yes I understand that, but I want specific reasons NOT to reinstall Chrome.  I also know that some IT guys get their panties in a wad over brands and not specific issues.  I can override IT if I can prove it does not have a track record of problems

I am in IT and use Chrome. I like it. However the reason you seek is that the computer you are using doesn't belong to you and therefore you don't get to make the rules. That being said, as long as it doesn't turn into an HR issue I would just keep reinstalling it. It only takes a minute. Or hide the icon somewhere less obvious.

I
am in IT and use Chrome. I like it. However the reason you seek is that
the computer you are using doesn't belong to you and therefore you
don't get to make the rules. That being said, as long as it doesn't turn
into an HR issue I would just keep reinstalling it. It only takes a
minute. Or hide the icon somewhere less obvious.

hit the nail on the head

Edited by luke9511
Guest uofmeet

Wow, your IT department in easy. I don't allow ANYONE to install anything on there computers. If they want something installed, they have to come see me. Now, I would allow google Chrome, and Firefox.....but I do not allow them permission to install programs.

First off, Google is the Devil.

Secondly, most organizations have standards.  They settle on a browser and that's what they support.  In the past Chrome was a well-known tracker.  I don't know if that's still the case but it is a corporate consideration.

Well my company is a little different than most.  We are a small buisness and my direct supervisor is part owner.  We have full admin permissions, but also shit rolls downhill if we install something that isnt approved and buggers up the machine.  They dont like Chrome or Google Earth, both are tools that i find useful, especially earth.  We can create a GPS track in the field and then import direclty into Google Earth and you have a good clear, zoomable aeiral photo.  I just dont put the icons on the desktop and they usually wont erase them.   

If there is a malware issue I wont resinstall

There could be a million reasons, but it is almost solely based ont he fact that those computers are configured to operate in a controlled environment. If you install an untested program, not only does it have the possibility of interfering with other systems or applications, but it is also another vulnerability risk that must continuously be monitored.

I would suggest that if it is not approved, that you don't use it because if there is a security incident involving your computer, the first thing they will do is look for someone to blame so the company does not have to accept liability. Even if the incident is unrelated, they can (and I've seen this done a lot over the years) place the financial and legal responsibilities on to you personally, especially if you've signed any usage agreements.

As for Google Earth, if you look at the licensing included in the program, it states that you can not use the free version of google earth on business systems, you have to use the pro version which is a couple hundred $. We had this exact issue at work and had to remove it from every system and blacklist the application.

So it's not about malware, or Google being evil; it's about taking on a liability and creating more vulnerabilities on what is supposed to be a controlled environment.

As for Google Earth, if you look at the licensing included in the program, it states that you can not use the free version of google earth on business systems, you have to use the pro version which is a couple hundred $. We had this exact issue at work and had to remove it from every system and blacklist the application.

So it's not about malware, or Google being evil; it's about taking on a liability and creating more vulnerabilities on what is supposed to be a controlled environment.

This is a completely reasonable answer.  I did not know the licensing agreement contained such language.  and I guess what kind of irks me most is they didn't send and email saying "because of licensing agreements we cannot use ......." or whatever, they just delete it like you wont notice.

So with that I guess Google Earth will have to upgraded to Pro, but I still dont see how Chrome is a liability.  I guess its time to send them and email and see what THEY actually think.  Commuication isnt their strong point. 

Wow, your IT department in easy. I don't allow ANYONE to install anything on there computers. If they want something installed, they have to come see me. Now, I would allow google Chrome, and Firefox.....but I do not allow them permission to install programs.

Chrome can install itself on a per-user basis which does not require admin rights. We block it's known installer filenames with a GPO but a savvy person could get around that. The problem lies when it makes itself the default browser and resources that require IE no longer function, then it generates a trouble ticket.

Most likely it's standardization. It's much easier to control your environment if everyone is using a pre approved template. Cuts out the variables such as app X interferes with app Y.

Personally, i don't have an issue with Chrome but there was a study awhile back that pointed out (and i hate to admit this but..) that IE is one of the better browsers for stopping mawlare. Not foolproof, but better.