What's your ammo situation?

D3vo

Got a Double star M4 a month before the scare and started buying mags and ammo. Now have 13 loaded mags in 556 green point penetrators and a few hundred 223 fmj. Then the scare hit. I've never shot it and can't afford more ammo. They want double if you can find it. The gun never got sighted in. I'm seriously thinking about a trade for an AK and 762x39 ammo. I see it's available and cheaper. I'm bummed out.
I have enough to ride out the storm, but I have reduced my shooting until I get a feel for replacement cost. I fear, like gasoline, the price will never be as low as the good ole days. Edited by D3vo

Got a Double star M4 a month before the scare and started buying mags and ammo. Now have 13 loaded mags in 556 green point penetrators and a few hundred 223 fmj. Then the scare hit. I've never shot it and can't afford more ammo. They want double if you can find it. The gun never got sighted in. I'm seriously thinking about a trade for an AK and 762x39 ammo. I see it's available and cheaper. I'm bummed out.

Thats my main shooters right now, my ak and saiga 12. Both are still cheap to shoot and tons of fun, im glad i invested on them. 7.62x39 is alot easier and cheaper to find out there right now than any 223/5.56 ammo
Guest Victor9er

My 9mm is dry. I had about 100 rounds that I got to shoot through earlier this week. I've given up trying to find anything at the local Walmarts. Academy and Sportsman's Warehouse have been getting semi-regular shipments in. I try to pick up a box or two when I can so I can have something to take to the range.

Although I have more ammo than I'll probably will need if I had to defend myself against the govt if they were to come and take away my weapons. But I doubt that I have enough if I stopped buying now and went the rest of my life if I were to live another say 40 yrs. The way I see it is they may not take all our guns but they can do what ever to prevent us from having ammo so I look at it as after today I may never be able to make another ammo purchase again. This is my mindset so every day I'm looking and will buy ammo and reloading supplies in the calibers I own as long as it's available.  

Guest ThePunisher
I've got to slowly try to replenish all my ammo after the tragic boating accident trying to cross over fierce rushing waters in the river last weekend. Lucky I was wearing a life jacket. Gonna need another boat too, and new guns. I don't know if I will be able to replace them now b/c money is in short supply. Just a horrible accident, that's really traumatized me.

Of course, like everyone else, I'd like to have more on hand. But shooting is a perishable skill, so to me, practice is a necessity.

I have my "set aside" ammo. I reload and hopefully have enough components to last for a while.

I dry fire practice, and have recently started limiting my range trips to 50 rounds of quality, focused practice. I actually should have been working more on focused drills all along...This is the way I used to practice and I've simply become more lax about it the past few years.

I'm shooting more .22 than I did, but I'm also still shooting .22 ammo I purchased in the early to mid 1990's.

I have a fair amount of wheelgun ammo already reloaded so now is a good time to bring my J Frame skills up to par.

Nothing in life is limitless, except the stupidity of those in the beltway.

These cycles come and go. I'm Blessed to have stored what I did...but I'll certainly focus on having a greater supply of reloading components for the future... for my Son and grandkids...

I've got to slowly try to replenish all my ammo after the tragic boating accident trying to cross over fierce rushing waters in the river last weekend. Lucky I was wearing a life jacket. Gonna need another boat too, and new guns. I don't know if I will be able to replace them now b/c money is in short supply. Just a horrible accident, that's really traumatized me.

Next time, put the life jacket on the ammo - you can swim, can't you? ;)

Has anyone hit the Knoxville Gun shows lately (there is one at the Expo center tomorrow) I have been avoiding them as I have heard it is a MADHOUSE !! I just want to go back to browsing the tables and enjoying the atmosphere.

Has anyone hit the Knoxville Gun shows lately (there is one at the Expo center tomorrow) I have been avoiding them as I have heard it is a MADHOUSE !! I just want to go back to browsing the tables and enjoying the atmosphere.

Go on Sunday or later Saturday. Not bad at all. But don't even bother if you're after ammo.

Guest Averhoeven

I went by the 100 Oaks WalMart today and so decided to stop in and see if they had anything. It was my first time anywhere that sells firearms since the so called crisis started. Haha, there was one tiny box of 45 colt and 2 of 17 HMR in the big ammo cabinet. That was a crazy site to see....

It also made me a little more leery of going to the range now that I'm down to 500-700 of my 3 calibers (22lr, 9mm, 223)

SNAFU,never had to think before going to the range,it sucks,not enough time to reload,when i find 223 its near a buck a round...im using my old ammo funds to pay for a therapist to help me get through my reloading nightmares and empty shelf trauma,,,i never knew 1 disturbed a holes actions would have such an outrageous ripple effect......im shooting less but life is ok.....meh

Actually managed to get 3000 rounds of 5.56 for about .35 to .40 cpr shipped for brass.  Got lucky with a couple online purchases.  Not excellent prices but its much cheaper than most places.  Prior to that the stockpile was a little on the low side.  Just hope the ADI penetrators from AIM aren't as terrible as some claim.

Guest Dragonman
How many times hs everybody been through this? Every couple years something causes a knee jerk reaction and everybody panics and buys the shelves empty. Crisis abates and everybody goes back to happy go lucky keep one box of each caliber (if that much) and expect that when they head to the range they can head to the local store and pick up a box or 3. Newest "crisis" hits and the cycle repeats. Once was told by someone that they buy to shoot for a year but their preference in for three and rotate accordingly. Personally I always make it an effort to swing by the empty shelves just to laugh. Buy cheap, stack deep!