Geek toy... Logitech MX Revolution cordless mouse

• Administrator

It takes a lot to make me want to talk shop about computer gear anymore, but this one has to be mentioned.

Last week one of our graphics artists (at work) had their Mac's mouse croak on them, so I gave them my Logitech MX510 mouse and took their mostly dead mouse and made do with it for a few days until a replacement arrived. I tend to use my laptop at work more than my desktop anyway, so it wasn't a big deal.

Yesterday the replacement arrived and I think I'll be keeping it at my desk instead of forwarding it to the user. They have a nice MX510 now. ;)

The replacement is a Logitech MX Revolution cordless mouse and this thing freaking rocks. It uses a docking station to charge itself up and the LiION battery lasts for about 15 days of average use according to the manual and the power meter software. The wireless receiver is a little USB dongle that I have plugged into a USB port on the back side of my Dell 24" widescreen LCD. Yeah, life at work is rough.

The mouse has a very nice heft to it thanks to the battery. I love the added weight. It feels like you're moving something sturdy and precise around on the desktop rather than just gripping a light, flimsy piece of plastic.

It's got a myriad of programmable buttons for page movement, application control, etc. Four way scroll wheel as a middle button, and a two-way scroll wheel at your thumb. I'm already seeing a lot of uses for the additional scroller. Nice!

At $70-90 depending on where you shop, it's not a cheap item. But it's worth the money from what I have experienced so far. I'll probably pick one up for the desktop computer at home too. :D

1501.1.0.jpg1502.1.0.jpg

1503.1.0.jpg1504.1.0.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
I have a cordless mouse now and HATE it, but like its flexibility. This looks like a real alternative.

I have a little Logitech bluetooth travel mouse for my laptop and its performance is sketchy to say the least. This MX Revolution is absolutely nothing like it, in a very good way. ;)

Can you shave with it too? :)

Looks pretty neat, either way. I'll have to check one out.

It does look like a Braun shaver when it's sitting in the charging cradle! :D

we used to have a cordless mouse. The oldest grandson would take it and hide it, finding great humor in his actions. But he would always cough it up when I would take away the play station controller. One day he hid it and then went home before anyone knew i was missing. I tore he basement up looking for it. Little punk stuck it in his toy box, I never found it. Since then I have just left the corded mouse on the computer. He was not smart enough then to know I could just follow the three foot cord to where he would stick it, lol. No problem now, except I still hid the playstation controller on him:p

Thats pretty sweet I have one of the older Logitechs with the adjustable weights and multiple dpi settings but its corded. I had a cordless one but due to my L33T gamer status I was tearin through batteries like no tomorrow...course these days I dont have as much play time so cordless would probably be ok.

Guest GT_Rat

I used an MX Revolution for a long time for gaming and it does work well. But there is a little latency in the system that can be a problem for gaming.

I'm now using a corded Razer Lachesis.

Specs:

• 4000dpi Razer Precision 3G Laser™ sensor
  • 32KB Razer Synapse™ onboard memory
  • Nine independently programmable Hyperesponse™ buttons
  • 1000Hz Ultrapolling / 1ms response time
  • On-The-Fly Sensitivity™ adjustment
  • Variable true dpi setting adjustments in increments of 125dpi
  • Always-On™ mode
  • Ultra-large non-slip buttons
  • 16-bit ultra-wide data path
  • 60-100 inches per second
  • Ambidextrous design
  • Scroll wheel with 24 individual click positions
  • Zero-acoustic Ultraslick™ Teflon feet
  • Gold-plated USB connector
  • Seven-foot, lightweight, non-tangle cord
  • Approximate size: 129mm (length) x 71mm (width) x 40mm (height)

I use an apple mighty mouse which works great for what I do (working on audio.) But it sucks when Master Chief tosses a grenade instead of shooting a rocket like he intends to. So ya...Ive been looking around....I'll go fondle one of these at the store this week.

I have a question. Can one of the buttons be programmed for [ESC] ? The reason I ask is that my old Logitech RM63 Laser is getting really old and of all the available programable button mice I've tried, few are able to be programmed to [ESC].

Guest ProguninTN

That's nifty. I have a similar device. I like the lack of a wire, it reduces the big mess behind the computer. :D Also, it does not get snagged on anything. However, mine mysteriously stopped working for several months, then started working again. :rolleyes: Hopefully, you won't have the same weird problem.

everyone of my PC accessories are Logitech. i have the G11 keyboard, the G5 V2 (2 thumb button) mouse, the Logitech 5.1 surround speakers, the Logitech pro gamers headset and webcam. they rock on the accessory side for sure. my son has the old mx510 mouse, and my gf has my old G5 and old logitech multimedia keyboard too. nah, im not a fanboy.

My favorite mouse of all time was a Logitec. This was a long time ago and mouse wheels, etc., were un-thought of. What I like about it was that it was.......small.

I have one about the same size for use on the laptop when I can't stand the touchpad any more. But it also is missing the features involving the mouse wheel that I've grown used to.

BTW, I still have a ball controller and touchpad for the Atari 800, if anyone needs one. :D

You people are just puppies........ :D

Guest GT_Rat
My favorite mouse of all time was a Logitec. This was a long time ago and mouse wheels, etc., were un-thought of. What I like about it was that it was.......small.

I have one about the same size for use on the laptop when I can't stand the touchpad any more. But it also is missing the features involving the mouse wheel that I've grown used to.

BTW, I still have a ball controller and touchpad for the Atari 800, if anyone needs one. :D

You people are just puppies........ :D

Hey now. Don't make me break out my TRS-80 Color Computer stuff... How do you connect a small furry rodent to a computer? Do you have a program for it on tape?

Hey now. Don't make me break out my TRS-80 Color Computer stuff... How do you connect a small furry rodent to a computer? Do you have a program for it on tape?

Hey now yourself....

I have the tape drive for storage. Paid $500 in 198? for an 89K Atari floppy drive that I modified to copy protected software. I distributed pirated software all over TVA. Moved up to an Indus drive and changed out the board to let me run CP/M with it. Had WordStar that would run that way in only 16K of RAM.

Also had a laptop - TRS 100. It also ended up with both a tape and disc drive. POS. :D

Puppy........ :hiding:

Guest GT_Rat

I wonder if you know I mean Cassette Tape. I'd connect to BBS's with my 300bps modem as long as the phone call wasn't long distance. :D Mom would kick my ass if I ran up long distance charges. You've got 21 years on me age wise but it sounds like we were playing with similar toys. You just had more money than I did. :)

I don't think I got a disc drive for my TRS-80 until around 85.

:hiding: