Wine Sold In Grocery Stores.....And Maybe High Gravity Beer?

The Tennessee State Legislature is currently considering allowing wine to be sold in grocery stores. The "Tennessee Malt Beverage Association" has decided to support the change in the law if grocery stores and convenience stores will be allowed to sell "High Gravity" (higher alcohol content) beer as well.

I know there are a lot of Beer Afficianados on this board and I was wondering what you think about this idea.

http://www.tennessean.com/viewart/20130312/NEWS0201/303120050/Brewers-support-wine-strong-beer-TN-grocery-stores

Edited by waynesan

I think it's an excellent idea.  More competition in the market is always a good thing.  Liquor store owners certainly aren't happy about it as they're likely to lose their cheap wine business to the grocery stores.  But liquor stores manage to survive in plenty of other states where wine is sold in grocery stores.

• Like 2

I'm all for it and can't see any reason why not.  I can buy nails at a hardware store and I don't have to go to a nail store to buy big nails.  I can see why liquor stores may object to this but it's pretty common around the country.

I'm all for it and can't see any reason why not.  I can buy nails at a hardware store and I don't have to go to a nail store to buy big nails.  I can see why liquor stores may object to this but it's pretty common around the country.

Relocated from Virginia in 2005. It's normal there to run to the ABC Store to get your bourbon.  Milk and wine at the grocery.  Won't bother me now anyways, I've been dry for 4 years. There are a few shops in my neighborhood I wouldn't mind seeing vanish.

I'm a wine guy now and I really like doing my shopping in a store that specializes in wine but competition is a good thing. Maybe the specialty store will have to step up there selection and offer better prices, that would be good. I'm all for getting the government out of our lives anyway, stop controlling our choices and let the free market decide

I don't like the heavy regulation and territorial nature of the alcohol business. My local wine store should have access to any wine or drink in the world (as long as its legal for import of course). They can't get a lot of my favorites because the distributor isn't allowed access to them because of the region.

I'll still shop at my local favorite liquor/wine store for the same reasons that I go to my favorite gun stores over Walmart or big sporting goods stores when I just want to look at guns and deal with people who are knowledgable on the subject.
I'm used to grocery stores selling beer, wine and spirits. The liquor stores still did good business with a better selection and better pricing.

I'm all for it, it's a hell of a lot more convenient to shop all at once instead of making two stops. I can't see the original purpose for the blue laws in the first place?
  • Like 1

I have no doubt this will all get voted in.  It will hurt all package stores.  Some will survive and some will not.  I have been hearing estimates from 10% to 30% loss of wine sales.   That will be an unbearable burden to some stores.  

The real only downside is that money that has stayed in TN will be going out of state to places such as Arkansas.  Surely the local ownership law will be scrapped.

There is still a lot to be determined still.   Got a long time until it can even be voted on.

Edited by Mike.357

You can walk into a grocery store in Michigan and buy wine/beer/liquor just fine.  They still have liquor/wine/specialty beer stores that function just fine.... of course none seem to carry Sam Adams Imperial series beer.  The liquor laws regarding sale in TN are silly.  I'm tired of hearing liquor stores whine about how this will kill their business.  It shouldn't be up to a few businesses protected by the gov to decide the market.  That isn't supposed to be how it works here.  Liquor stores will feel the pinch, but will remain in business just fine so long as they adapt.  I still intend on buying my wine and fine beer at Mulligan's in Clarksville, because they have always been awesome folks, but I don't like that choice being made for me by some stupid law.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

Personally, I came from a state that allowed sales of all forms of alcohol (Beer, Wine, Hard Liquor) in grocery stores. Its good to see that they are working on making it easier to buy said items in grocery stores.

Since I work at Wally World, I constantly have to tell customers from out of state, that TN State Law prohibits sales of wine and hard liquor in grocery stores. 

I have no doubt this will all get voted in. It will hurt all package stores. Some will survive and some will not. I have been hearing estimates from 10% to 30% loss of wine sales. That will be an unbearable burden to some stores.

The real only downside is that money that has stayed in TN will be going out of state to places such as Arkansas. Surely the local ownership law will be scrapped.

There is still a lot to be determined still. Got a long time until it can even be voted on.

You are about spot on. Truthfully there should be no restriction, except for being of age, about any store selling liquor, wine, or beer.

This is my prediction, and I have some ties to wholesale liquor and wine sales.

TN grocery stores will be selling wine in grocery stores within 1 year. Even on Sundays.
TN Liquor stores will not be allowed to sell corkscrews, mixers, beer, and etc. Pretty much no changes for them.
You will see 30% of package stores close in the next 3 years.
Package store prices on liquor will increase 20%.

The current TN laws were established to help small buisness' and communities. The revenue from package stores was meant to help the community. Did you know that in TN it is against the law for one person or incorporation to own more than one package store?

Truthfully it should be all or nothing for these stores.

I'm not much of a wine or liquor drinker but I do like a good beer. I live 3 miles from the Virginia border and just 5 miles to the first grocery store across the line. And it amazes me how much better the beer selection is over there compared to what we have here. There is a tremendous amount of GREAT beer that becomes available when you get to the 6.5% to 8% ABV content, and at grocery store prices it's even better.

I couldn't care less about wine, but I'd love to see high gravity beer at the grocery store. I've got no problem going to the liquor store to get it, but I'm hoping there would be a bit more variety to choose from.

The Great Prophet of Corryton. :)

Shot down today in committee by one vote. That generally signals death of a bill.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2013/mar/12/wine-in-grocery-stores-possibly-killed-by-house/

- OS

I am astonished this did not pass out of committee.   But I am glad it didn't.  :)

Assuming it is truly dead the next chance is next year and maybe 3.5 years before wine sees a grocer's shelf.

This really sucks. Trader Joe's sells my favorite cheap wine, and I was hoping I'd be able to buy it. Looks like I'll have to resort to begging my family to bring me some when they visit.

Crane Lake and Franzia box wine comes from the same winery as Two Buck Chuck and other Charles Shaw wine.  It is the same stuff.  

Guest 270win

I think the liquor stores here should be able to sell beer, cokes, candy and have drive up windows.  Then let the grocery stores and gas stations sell wine.  That would be the only fair way.

.There are several D Asti Moscato's labels available in TN.  Asti is a region in Italy fwiw

it is sweet wine with slight effervescence.  There is a lot of that in state.

I've tried several, but none that I cared for. I'm not much of a wine drinker at all, but I do love that stuff. I was really looking forward to buying it locally.