FYI... Krav Maga classes now available in Nashville

• Administrator

Link: http://www.midsouthkravmaga.com/frame_nashville.htm

Krav Maga (Hebrew for "contact combat") is the official self-defense and fighting system of the Israeli Defense Forces. It has been recognized as the most efficient self-defense system for real-life situations, emphasizing practical defenses against real attacks. Since 1964, Krav Maga has been taught to hundreds of U.S. law enforcement agencies and thousands of civilians.

Krav Maga is a simple, effective self-defense system emphasizing instinctive movements, practical techniques and realistic training scenarios. Plus, because it's based on a person's natural reactions, it is easy to learn. You can become proficient in months rather than years. The Krav Maga system incorporates fitness, self-defense and fighting like no other system. Krav Maga's top-rated Fitness classes compliment training by toning muscle and dramatically improving strength and stamina.

Krav Maga's self-defense classes are a total-body workout that combines kicking, punching, street fighting, ground fighting, and defenses against weapons, getting students into prime physical shape.

Krav Maga is not a traditional martial art. No katas. No rituals. No nonsense . Based on simple principles and instinctive movements, this reality-based system is designed to teach real self-defense in the shortest possible time. You'll learn to defend against common chokes and grabs from all angles, punches and kicks, and weapons such as guns, knives, and sticks.

Just as important, Krav Maga will teach you to function under the stress, shock and adrenaline rush of a sudden, violent encounter. Tested on the battlefield and in today's streets, Krav Maga's practical approach to self-defense will make you safer and more secure. And believe it or not, you'll have so much fun working out, you won't be able to wait for your next class!

Classes are being offered at the Coolsprings YMCA and at the Jewish Community Center in the Bellevue / Bellmeade area. I am in no way affiliated with this group but I am considering joining as a student very soon.

I first heard about Krav Maga several years ago and have been hoping that someone would start offering it in Nashville ever since. This is a very effective, very simple and very potent form of what I would consider "structured street fighting" techniques. One of the best things about it in my opinion is that it also teaches you how to deal with weapon retention and how to wrestle a weapon away from an attacker.

As an additional bonus... if I do end up taking this, it will be a great opportunity for anyone here who hates my guts to show up and try to kick my ass in a controlled setting. Be warned that I hate losing and will be trying equally hard to kick your ass in the process. :D

Seriously though, I wanted to pass this information along. It's a great way to invest into your own self-defense abilities and gives you an additional tool to use rather than just having to rely on a gun.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
This is tempting. Does anyone know the cost?

The classes taught at the YMCA (Coolsprings only!) and the Jewish CC are $80 per month with a 1yr contract or $100 per month w/o contract. Please check and confirm with their web site as I'm just going off the top of my head here.

I took it for about a year here in Memphis...it has its ups and downs, but overall, it was a positive experience. I learned quite a bit. I already had problems getting off work early enough to go, and then they moved to midtown, and that was all she wrote. If they were still out east, I'd probably still go. The guy who owns Krav in Memphis opened the new one in Nashville, I believe.

Guest db99wj
I took it for about a year here in Memphis...it has its ups and downs, but overall, it was a positive experience. I learned quite a bit. I already had problems getting off work early enough to go, and then they moved to midtown, and that was all she wrote. If they were still out east, I'd probably still go. The guy who owns Krav in Memphis opened the new one in Nashville, I believe.

So when you say ups and down, what do you mean? They are the only provider here in Memphis, as you already know and I am looking hard at it. What is the cost if you don't mind me asking?

I think it was about $80-$90/ month back then (1.5 yrs ago). I think they have since gone up, but offer different "packages."

Krav stresses staying on your feet. On the street, this is sometimes a bit optimistic. IMO, some training in striking (Krav, Muay Thai, etc.) combined with grappling (judo/jiu jitsu) will result in a more well-rounded toolbox for hand-to-hand self-defense. The Krav guys talk about grappling and how to avoid going to the ground, but rarely train for it. As one advances in Krav, grappling, avoiding being taken down, etc. become a little more prevalent in training. Lots of advanced students were always ready to train for it, but we felt like they were leading us on a little. All we really did was kickboxing. The attitude in Krav seemed to be that grappling was a good skill to have, but really not necessary. I think this is a flawed way to approach self-defense on the street.

Also, the owner seemed to become more interested in making it a commercial venture and less a training center for fighting and self-defense. I like him; he's a great guy and a terrific instructor (when he was there), but the place seemed to gradually take on more of a "health club" type atmosphere, and drift away from the "fight club" mentality that it had when I started. Fees for everything began popping up. Full-contact "fight classes" became fewer and farther between. Some of the weapons defense classes disappeared, only to return in a seminar that could be attended for a fee.

I think it was more useful than what you would learn in a typical karate or TKD school. I would probably go back, depending on the prices and what instructors were still there. Who knows, their midtown location may be totally different from what I saw developing. They did some training that you may never see in a karate or TKD school, such as how take take away a gun (in certain situations), how to break chokes, etc. If I were still going, I would probably be 10 pounds lighter and probably wouldn't be eating these damned baked cheddar and sour cream chips between each keystroke!! Hope this helps a little. PM me if you want to talk about Krav in more detail.

Edited by deerslayer
Guest db99wj
I think it was about $80-$90/ month back then (1.5 yrs ago). I think they have since gone up, but offer different "packages."

Krav stresses staying on your feet. On the street, this is sometimes a bit optimistic. IMO, some training in striking (Krav, Muay Thai, etc.) combined with grappling (judo/jiu jitsu) will result in a more well-rounded toolbox for hand-to-hand self-defense. The Krav guys talk about grappling and how to avoid going to the ground, but rarely train for it. As one advances in Krav, grappling, avoiding being taken down, etc. become a little more prevalent in training. Lots of advanced students were always ready to train for it, but we felt like they were leading us on a little. All we really did was kickboxing. The attitude in Krav seemed to be that grappling was a good skill to have, but really not necessary. I think this is a flawed way to approach self-defense on the street.

Also, the owner seemed to become more interested in making it a commercial venture and less a training center for fighting and self-defense. I like him; he's a great guy and a terrific instructor (when he was there), but the place seemed to gradually take on more of a "health club" type atmosphere, and drift away from the "fight club" mentality that it had when I started. Fees for everything began popping up. Full-contact "fight classes" became fewer and farther between. Some of the weapons defense classes disappeared, only to return in a seminar that could be attended for a fee.

I think it was more useful than what you would learn in a typical karate or TKD school. I would probably go back, depending on the prices and what instructors were still there. Who knows, their midtown location may be totally different from what I saw developing. They did some training that you may never see in a karate or TKD school, such as how take take away a gun (in certain situations), how to break chokes, etc. If I were still going, I would probably be 10 pounds lighter and probably wouldn't be eating these damned baked cheddar and sour cream chips between each keystroke!! Hope this helps a little. PM me if you want to talk about Krav in more detail.

Thanks for the info. Mmmmmm cheddar and sour cream....well at least they are baked!

I might check in on it, the most training I ever had was in the military, we were armor so......not the most in depth training was given. I am leaving in the morning for Chicago for a week will be on here some. When questions come up, I will be sure to ask, thanks again.

Guest matt8185

Hey guys,

I have been taking classes with Mid-South Krav at the Cool Springs YMCA for about a month or more now, and it was really great stuff. I don't know how it compares to other Krav schools, but the instructors are great, you learn a LOT, and you get a rediculous workout. Its really very well rounded and WELL worth the money.

I highly recommend it to anyone,

Matt