It Sure Gets Old

Seeing ammo sell out at legit stores like Cabelas for instance in an hour and pop up on forums or other websites in a day or two at 35 - 75 percent increase. its also amazing that people buy it at such inflated prices. Maybe the IRS is watching all these sales.....ya just never know these days.
  • Like 1

Its messed up for sure.. The ones that get me are the 50.00+ boxes of .22 lr..  Not selling mine but have been doing a lot of shooting lately. Probably going to run the Saiga  some this morning when I get home.. Its not the ones selling it that bother me.. Its the fools buying it that I would like to give a chop to the throat...

Of course this is not the answer for everyone, my justication for having my personal ammo depot paid off this year.  I have not needed any ammo whatsoever, none.   I do still shoot the same frequency as before.  For you guys that live hand to mouth on ammo, it pays to have a little ammo inventory on site.  My didn't come over night, my recipe for years was if I shoot 2 boxes of 9mm, I replaced my stash with 3 boxes within 48 hours.  I did this over a course of years, and it slowly built my inventory.   Actually this is the same recipe that I got me so overweight, that is anothet story.  While I was building, I didn't know why I was doing it.  I didn't have clear plan.  Come to think of it, my aquisition of guns is similiar, do not know why I just keep adding, and adding.  I have no clear plan with that either. 

My suggestion, IF and WHEN this crap is over, not all at once unless you are flushed with disposible income, start building your ammo depot, slowly.  Then if you do not reload, you may just want to have supplies on hand.  I can assure you if you have no desire to reload, you will when the ammo cubbard is dry.

• Like 6

I think the ammo supplies are loosening up. I don't see the frenzy that I've noticed in the past. FYI - I was in Houston yesterday (still in TX) and bought 500 rounds of 40 S&W and 9mm each. I have my ammo "stash" but needed some shooting stock. This retail store (an ammo manufacturer) was crowded but I didn't see panic buying and some customers were buying several boxes vs bulk.

I think the ammo supplies are loosening up. I don't see the frenzy that I've noticed in the past. FYI - I was in Houston yesterday (still in TX) and bought 500 rounds of 40 S&W and 9mm each. I have my ammo "stash" but needed some shooting stock. This retail store (an ammo manufacturer) was crowded but I didn't see panic buying and some customers were buying several boxes vs bulk.

Were you by any chance in the Freedom Munitions store?  A friend of mine was in Texas and went there and picked me up 500 rounds of new mfg and dropped it off yesterday.  They make good stuff.

This is a lot like spam.  Somewhere there is a dumb ass that's buying over inflated ammo.  As long as these dumb asses continue to buy the over prices ammo there will be people who will continue to buy it up and jack up the price.   When people stop paying high prices the problem will fix it's self just like when people stop buying the crap spammers are peddling the spam will stop.

Additionally, the number of Gunbot listings per caliber continues to grow.   Although prices have spiked back up since last night, during the week there were a number of semi-reasonable deals to be had.

There is no doubt the supply is growing compared to even two weeks ago.

Edited by R_Bert

Am I the only one trying to take notes on who I wouldn't do business with later on because of their actions during this mess?  Between ammo gougers and these people selling multiple "New in box!" firearms, I've gathered quite a list.  And that's only the a-holes who post their phone number or email address in their ad, and the occasional member on here.

• Like 5

Am I the only one trying to take notes on who I wouldn't do business with later on because of their actions during this mess?  Between ammo gougers and these people selling multiple "New in box!" firearms, I've gathered quite a list.  And that's only the a-holes who post their phone number or email address in their ad, and the occasional member on here.

Well....I haven't.  But I should have.  I've not bought anything above the normal price which has not been a lot.

Then if you do not reload, you may just want to have supplies on hand.  I can assure you if you have no desire to reload, you will when the ammo cubbard is dry.

Except the reloading supplies are gone as well and people are selling what they have for the same insane prices.  I saw a set of RCBS .223 dies go on GunBroker for almost $200.  I've been looking for some large rifle primers for a while with no luck.  MidwayUSA finally got some in and they sold out in less than 5 minutes.  Between the time I got the notification, added them to my cart, and went to checkout, they were all sold out.  Fortunately, I found a brick at a local gun shop and that was the LAST one. Powder, primers, and bullets for .223, .308, and 9mm are especially scarce.  I happened to buy several pounds of powder, primers, and bullets for reloading .223 and 9mm a couple of months before this madness started.  If I hadn't, I'd be in really bad shape.

I just shipped 1000 308 cal 175 SMKs for exactly what I paid for them. I'm sending off 2000 more next week for the same price. Not everyone is gouging. I do have a mutually beneficial arrangement with the people I send bullets and brass to. I'll send you 1000 SMKs for $*** + S&H , but if I need a barrel, gun smith work, or a car part I would like to have the favor returned. I don't believe I've paid for smith work for about two years and I have offered to pay every time. Take care of your friends and they'll take care of you. 

• Like 1

jdw174 - it was Freedom Munitions (Jersey Village location). I finally had a chance this weekend to "exercise" my Walther PPQ 40 cal. The ammo performed well (personal observation of a satisfied customer). Also, the staff is very friendly. If you're in the Houston area, check it out.

Regarding Academy, I noticed yesterday that they had CCI 22LR on the shelves (sorry - an east Texas location). But it does indicate to me that the ammo situation is getting better. 

Edited by TexasAggie

I just shipped 1000 308 cal 175 SMKs for exactly what I paid for them. I'm sending off 2000 more next week for the same price. Not everyone is gouging. I do have a mutually beneficial arrangement with the people I send bullets and brass to. I'll send you 1000 SMKs for $*** + S&H , but if I need a barrel, gun smith work, or a car part I would like to have the favor returned. I don't believe I've paid for smith work for about two years and I have offered to pay every time. Take care of your friends and they'll take care of you. 

Amen!

Yeah I have been swapping out my labor for some ammo lately for some friends of mine. works out to the good. Went to walmart in Jackson TN yesterday and they had 12 boxes of 22 winchester x in 100 round packages in the middle of the day.

I've got a "naughty vs. nice" list as well, and I have a long memory.

The use of market forces for capital gain is a good thing. However, the total exploitation of them is something else entirely. 

Seeing ammo sell out at legit stores like Cabelas for instance in an hour and pop up on forums or other websites in a day or two at 35 - 75 percent increase. its also amazing that people buy it at such inflated prices. Maybe the IRS is watching all these sales.....ya just never know these days.

That last bit may be the key. When you see the same person selling ammo a lot at marked up prices, give the IRS a call. It may not do anything, but cause them some hassle, LOL.