Why am I drawn to a 1911?

espacef1fan

I've fired many pistols, but never owned one. Yet here I am on the cusp of buying a 1911. I have the option to get a Glock in 45ACP at almost half the price with more magazine capacity(among many other options that are "better") , but yet I am still drawn toward a 1911. I'll admit alot of it is aesthetics. But there is still that "something" it has that draws me to it.

Anyone else feel this way about 1911s?

Since you brought up the option to buy a Glock .45, I have to ask what is the purpose of this purchase?  Carrying for self-defense or for fun?  I am more comfortable with a DAO Glock-like trigger for carry purpose, but for putting the biggest grin on my face at the range, my 1911 is King. 

• Like 2

Since you brought up the option to buy a Glock .45, I have to ask what is the purpose of this purchase?  Carrying for self-defense or for fun?  I am more comfortable with a DAO Glock-like trigger for carry purpose, but for putting the biggest grin on my face at the range, my 1911 is King. 

More of a house gun/fun gun. I guess it( 1911) matches up with my M1 Garand (Current house gun...YIKES right?)

I agree that a striker pistol or DA/SA pistol makes a better carry gun.

i love the 1911 but dont own one ... i have to say i love the design because it was by far and away the best handgun design of the time, but that being said i believe a 1911 is a "gun nuts" gun as in it's fairly complicated in its field strip and reassembly (compared to other handguns) and needs to be maintained more so than many other handguns ... if i had the money to "collect" guns i would own several 1911's but i want function over aesthetics, and if i had to rely on something to save my life and had other options i wouldnt grab a 1911 ... before the bashing of my post begins let me say again i AM a fan of the gun .. just dont think it's the end all be all of pistols that it was 50 or maybe even 25 years ago  

i love the 1911 but dont own one ... i have to say i love the design because it was by far and away the best handgun design of the time, but that being said i believe a 1911 is a "gun nuts" gun as in it's fairly complicated in its field strip and reassembly (compared to other handguns) and needs to be maintained more so than many other handguns ... if i had the money to "collect" guns i would own several 1911's but i want function over aesthetics, and if i had to rely on something to save my life and had other options i wouldnt grab a 1911 ... before the bashing of my post begins let me say again i AM a fan of the gun .. just dont think it's the end all be all of pistols that it was 50 or maybe even 25 years ago  

I don't consider it maintenance. It's more of a bonding experience.
  • Like 1

I've carried a Glock for a long time and it's a tough pistol that I know will go bang when I need it. Having said that, the Glock doesn't get my juices flowing like they do when I shoot my Wilson.

Its a Wilson!! Just owning one would get me fired up.. My .02.... 

Carry on...

• Like 1
First I will say to know without a doubt it will go bang every time, aside from bad ammo, get a revolver. They work every time.But if I'm ever in a bad situation I will grab any of my 1911's without hesitation. I think they also carry just as well as a Glock, or any other pistol. It is all about preference for your carry weapon. I just suck with a double action trigger. I just can't practice enough with one to get decent. I don't know why but I am naturally better with a single action, especially a 1911. If your a better shot with a Glock, get it. But if ever it comes to a fight, I pick my Les Baer over anything hands down. Always do what feels best to you. If its a Glock, 1911, or a off the wall CZ do what feels best.
Guest Bassman17SC

Do you mean because of the classic looks of the 1911?

Do you mean because of the 101 year old design from JMB (genuflect here)?

Do you mean because the 1911 has been used (and still in use) by both the military and law enforcement?  

Do you mean because the 1911 has been proven a reliable platform from which to throw a .45ACP bullet down range?  In other words, because the 1911 is a proven combat pistol?

Do you mean because excellent smiths (Wilson, Brown, etc.) are now producing 1911s that fire other calibers (9mm, 10mm, .38 Super)?

Do you mean because NO ONE will ever describe a 1911 as "tupperware?"

Well, the reasons above are good enough for me...

1911's keep you in compliance with NY state gun laws?

It makes a nice counterweight if you are carrying a cinder block by your weak hand?

It makes a nice piece of Wall Art alongside a sling and spear?

A 1911 can be functionally disassembled with no tools, like a slingshot?  

Last, but not least - its the trigger, the 1911 has the capability of having the best combat handgun trigger ever conceived and can have a very nice target trigger also.

Shooting a well made 1911 is like driving a Ferrari while shooting anything else is like driving a Buick Roadmaster.

If you do buy a 1911 don't waste your money on a Kimber. Also, I'm a purist at heart and don't care much for the Sig with its external extractor. YMMV
  • Like 1

Shooting a well made 1911 is like driving a Ferrari while shooting anything else is like driving a Buick Roadmaster.

If you do buy a 1911 don't waste your money on a Kimber. Also, I'm a purist at heart and don't care much for the Sig with its external extractor. YMMV

There are so many models from each manufacturer to choose from, but for the look and features I wanted, the Kimber cost less than the Springfield and S&W. I had avoided Kimber due to the price perception, and when SA and S&W didn't have exactly what I wanted, I took a look at Kimber's website. And found exactly what I wanted. Stainless RL TLE II.