Searching for ammo

Shug

Just wondering if there is anyone that has learned from recent and past experiences about keep some ammo and extra magazines on hand? All I see on TGO and a few other boards is how no one can find ammo at a fair price. I learned when the Brady Bill was enacted in 1993, to buy extra magazines and ammo. And when Obama was first elected and ammo was so scarce and everyone was scurring around trying to find ammo and buying up modern sporting rifles and accessories,You figured they would have learned..... Well things calmed down and ammo and firearms were becoming readily available again, But it seems that no one decided to buy a few extra boxes when they could find it. Then the tragedy in connecticut school shooting happened, and the masses are pushing for stronger gun control. Now ammo and the such is getting near impossible to find again. It can be had if someone doesn't care to pay the exuberant prices. Guess what Im asking is ya'll learned anything? Sock a few extra boxes away. Don't shoot up everything you have on hand unless your sure you can replace it. Try to think a little ahead.......This has been a public service announcement :2cents:  :cheers:

• Like 1

I had a small reserve, but most of it is gone now just from simple range time. It's ridiculous. Best believe as soon as things even out I will be turning some stockpiled cash into stockpiled ammo.

Best plan to use, no need to spend when things are to high.

• Like 1
Guest Wildogre

I have enough for about five more months of shooting at my current rate of twice a month, which is half of what I was shooting before this recent unpleasantness started. I have been able to find .380 at non inflated prices from time to time.

I've been a bit lucky finding some ammo at non-inflated prices, but I've not spent my money at all on inflated stuff. I'll just shoot sparingly right now. These times have pushed me back into reloading though, after a lull of about 25 years. So, that said, I'm not waiting on ammo to return to the shelves as much as the reloading supplies. I have a brand new ITB Dillon that I've actually had for quite a while and just hadn't made the jump. Mostly due to work load. I did recently order dies that I didn't have to go with it so I'll be ready when the supplies return. I'll be reloading 380, 38sp, 9mm, 45acp and 44.

I've cut back my range time a bit.  Aside from that, I learned a LONG time ago to stack it deep when it's cheap.  In fact, I still have some of that evil Czech 9mm +P+ SMG ammo made in the 1950's that I bought in 1980!  How about 124gr that clocks at 1325fps out of a CZ-75?! 

Twelve years ago you could buy .308 surplus and 9mm new manufacture for less than $.10/rd.  And it wasn't that long ago that surplus 7.62x54R and 7.62x39 were even cheaper than that!  And it was only six years ago that the excellent Polish surplus 7.62x25 was only $.06/rd.  About the same time, you could buy a full case of 2160rds 5.45x39mm for just $129. 

Prices will come back down eventually.  Due to the dollar devalued, we will never reach those prices for ammo again.  But, when you see a good deal for ammo will you be ready to jump on it?  Plan ahead.

The same is true for food.  How many are aware that corn is in short supply?  And that because of higher corn prices, beef and pork prices are also much higher?  Did you think ahead and buy when it was cheaper?  Why not?  Food prices are projected to continue to climb, and shortages are likely.  Do you have a year's supply of food?  Six Months?  Why not?

• Like 1

Buying ammunition or other supplies should really be no different than buying any other "essential".

While plenty of people won't, most of us know instinctively that we should be saving a minimum of 15-20-% of our income every month (at least in some form, investments, cash in the bank or cash, silver, etc in our home safe); have at least a few months of non-perishable food items put up and same with such things as TP and other non-food but nonetheless pretty important items.

As with most things "firearm" related; we tend to spend more (might even say too much) on getting the next new firearm and spend, far too little on things like ammunition, spare parts and especially training.

I haven't really cut back on my range time but I tend to shoot a little less ammo each visit that I might have otherwise...I had the good fortune of training with retired Navy SEAL Larry Yatch (Sealed Mindset) a couple of years ago and he really drove home the idea of training without ammunition (an outgrowth of the U.S.S. Cole tragedy when a friend of Larry stationed aboard saw the need for much better training but they had no money to buy bunches of ammo so they created training regimens that didn't use ammo). So, I do a lot of my "range time" at home using his ideas.

Anyway...not trying to chastise anyone here (except maybe myself) as most if not all of us could do better with being prepared (for whatever)...if we all just bought a little extra every time we buy we would probably all be better off the next time a "crisis" hits. ;)

Edited by RobertNashville
I feel like I got caught with my drawers down as far as .45 and 9mm ammo. I have enough.22, 12ga and.223 for my needs. I didn't think that ammo would be affected like this. I put my money into guns and magazines. I purchased so many mags that I started a thread recently about some G19 mags that I had hidden from myself. Live and learn.

If people refuse prepare for a hurricane when they get a weeks notice what makes you think there is any hope of preparing for gun control?

I've lost all hope in people. I've tried to bring up hurricane preparedness to my coworkers here in Florida and they just give me a blank stare. My brother lives on the coast and he has zero preparations. 

You can't fix stupid.

I try to stay stocked up on all calibers just for times like these. Haven't had to purchase any inflated anything but I still pickup a box or 2 at Walmart when it's available. I've sold some .380 and .22 to friends that were desperate. (No gouging on my part either) There's no stress in looking for ammo if you stock up in plentiful times.

I'm not sweating it. When I look at it, what I have in .45 and 9mm may be more than enough. However it looks meager when compared to what others have. Until things settle down I'll probably only shoot 9mm and .45 once a month. The rest of my time will be spent shooting 22. I still have three must have guns and I will probably still purchase them before turning my attention to obtaining a mountain of ammo.
I'm happy to have what I have. Like many here I saw something like this happening and started buying a little extra every time I could. I'd even buy a brick or two when out at Walmart getting milk or bread or whatever. Wish I had more but I'm thankful for what I've got.