I Know Where There Is Tons Of Ammo For Sale,,,But

I know where there is tons of ammo for sale, but the problem is you don’t have enough money to buy much of it.

Went to Benton shooter supply today to look around.  They got tons of rifle and pistol ammo.  Lots of guns in the cases and on the walls.  When I walked in I could see that the ammo shelves were full.  Boxes of ammo all over the place. Never seen this much ammo in one place in a long time.  What I can see with their prices they will have them for a long time. Old army ammo cans on the floor full of 5.56.  But then you walk up and see the prices you will jump back like you have step on a snake.  A box of 525 rounds of Winchester 22 lr is marked $100.00.  We got big problems when 22 lr ammo is $100.00 a box for 525 rounds.  9mm is over $40.00 a box of 50 and that is for the cheap brand.  The bigger boxes of 9mm were sky high.  45acp and 40 s&w are the same as the 9mm, higher than normal.  Tula 7.62x39 is $15.00 for 20 rounds. This is the Wal-Mart $4.99 box of Tula ammo at the $15.00 dollar price.  The 5.56 ammo was so high I blew the top of my head off looking at it.  30 caliber ammo cans with 5.56 priced over $300.00 for 250 rounds.  I should have written down the ammo prices, but I went into shock and could not think for a while. They had some basic bushmaster AR’s that were priced around $1,400.00.  I look at the primers and powder prices and I almost had to call 911. Thanks for David when I need reloading supplies.  There were lots of people in the store looking at the ammo. They would pick up the 22 ammo and all most drop it when they saw the price.  Best show that I have seen in a long time was when I was standing next to the 22 lr ammo. I was in the store for some time and did not see any ammo/guns sales. Saw lots of picking it up and putting it down fast. 

Im glad no one was buying it!  i hope that continues.  I HATE gouging.  When this frenzy settles down, Im gonna remember who was gouging and who was not in my local gun stores. I try toi buy a small amount of ammo almost everytime i go top a store, but not at huge prices.

• Like 1

Bentons is the best free museum there is.  They don't charge to park or charge a entry fee (not yet anyway).  That is where I go to take tours of guns, fondle, touch and see many differnt guns, safes, and accessories.  Only a wealthy fool or a uninformed guy who is desperate and does not want to do his homework will buy from there.  That was long before Sandy Hook too.

I can't believe you posted this......I was told TODAY by a very good friend of mine that said he drove up there from Chattanooga area because of a radio ad he had heard that they had plenty of ammo.  He drove an hour up there and came back empty handed.  He said he would NOT every go to Benton's Shooters Supply for anything no matter what the price after what he saw. You confirmed everything he said. 22LR and every other ammo for totally outrageous prices. He took enough money, he thought, to buy quite a bit of 22LR and some handgun ammo.  He left empty handed.  He said he only had enough money for 2 bricks of 22LR.  I asked him how much money he took, he said $200, but he wasn't spending it at Bentons. That's way past ridiculous. I have marked them off of my list.  I won't buy a thing from them no matter what the price. I hope they have to close their doors when things get back to normal.

Unfortunately this is the only way that the ammo hoarding will stop. It takes this kind of shock to the system to get people to stop buying every bullet they can get their hands on.

Oh, now I get it. Everyone jack their prices so no one can afford to buy it and there won't be a shortage! :wall:

Maybe we need to start making a list of all the price gouging shops and websites like Benton's and Cheaper Then Dirt.

Somthing like a "Guns & Ammo Wall of Shame"

I think that's a great idea myself. And PIN IT.......for future reference.

I understand that ammo prices, when you can find ammo, is high and I understand that people don't like to pay more for something than they are used to paying. However, the great thing about our free enterprise system is that when someone wants to sell something they can ask any price they want and if someone want's/is willing to buy it at that price then fine. If not, then they don't sell it until they lower their prices.

One parting thought...whether someone is "price gouging" or not is something that you cannot know unless you KNOW what the re-seller had to pay for the ammo they are trying to sell.  While I know nothing of this store nor do I have any inside knowledge of what manufacturers/distributors are charging dealers, I wouldn't be surprised if those who have ammo in stock had to pay a good bit more for it to have it than they used to. If so then of course they are going to charge more to the end user.

• Like 1
Guest KCampbell

$75 p-mags last time I went in there.I wont be back.

That's ridiculous,heck even the 50.00 ones are ridiculous.I know for a fact Mikes in Morrisrown has them for 25.00.I was planning on checking this place out because I work in Chattanooga some days.Thanks for the heads up everybody

Every Citizen A Sentinel
Guest Brutnus

My dad went in there and he said "Son, they had your glock you are looking for. $700 bucks for a Glock 19." I told dad that was $150 dollars over retail. Thanks but no thanks.

Not all retailers have the same targeted audience as others.  Through my many years of my gun obsession journey, for every 10 gun shops, you will see one like Bentons. They always have the largest selection of guns, largest selection of accessories, and the attitude of the counter help, is horrible. Their pricing is always like 25-50% more than their competition. And on top of that, they charge the 3-4% credit card fee.

I have come to realize I am not their targeted audience (happy, happy, happy). I am guessing their targeted audience is those professional men that are flushed with disposable income, that likely works in a white collar job M-F, and on the weekends, they dress up in their name brand outdoor clothes and over priced boots. You know the type, their blue jeans look like they came from the dry cleaners, and their hats always look brand new. These men will drive over 100 miles to go to Bentons, its an all day event, and they will buy something when there. Nothing wrong with these men, they just have more money than most, and they don't care what the price is. Then the other targeted audience is the much uninformed guys. You know the ones, they want a Glock or something, a buddy of buddy told them Benton's has them, and they go and see, and they buy ignorantly. And for the next 24 months or the next income tax refund or both they make payments on a 20% APR credit card. Then the other group is the window shopper that has no patience, you know the type, there is what I have been looking for, its in front of me, and I don't care what the price is. I know Billy Bob's gun shop has it or can get it, I can save $200 from Billy Bob, but hey I can have it now. 

For penny pinchers like me, I am not their audience.  In fact, I probably don't fit anyone's targeted audience.  I much rather buy used anymore.

Edited by Runco

stopped at a LGS yesterday that has recently changed hands.

What really stuck in my mind about that place was 50 rd boxes of .22 priced at 9.99.   Once I saw that any interest in seriously considering anything else they had for sale was long gone.

Can't imagine I will ever go back.

I will quit shooting as a hobby before I ever pay those prices.   Guns will strictly become tools if this continues.