Broke one...

Guest Broomhead

Guest Broomhead

It's taken me a week to work up the courage, humility maybe, to post my royal screw up.

I was working on a farrier's rasp knife. It was a good sized knife with a nice chisel grind. I was dang proud of it, too. I had it machine finished to ~600grit and I was ready to heat treat it.

Through several re-heatings of two large pieces of scrap metal I finally got my canola oil from 41* to 130*. That took forever. I threw my knife in the forge, well placed gently, edge up and away from the flame to try and prevent over heating it. Got it to a nice cherry red and then a little further and check for magnetism, none. I let it soak for a few minutes. Then, I quenched it quickly in my nice warm oil.

After it had cooled down to where I could touch it, I took a file to it. It bit...dang. Back in the forge, back to critical, no magnetism, let it soak for a few. Then back in the oil that was a little warmer than 130*, about 150*. Let it cool to the touch, took a file to it again...it bit...DANG!

Now bear with me, I was getting mad and not thinking straight. We have a salt water pool. I thought, hey BRINE! I put the knife back in the forge and repeated everything, except this time I quenched it in a bucket of 40* salt water. Took a file to it...it appeared to bite...DANG IT ALL TO HELL!! Lol. Decided to temper it anyway, maybe it'll work after all.

After, I got inside I realized it was warped, towards the side of the chisel grind. GREAT!! That's wonderful. Now, here's more screwed up thinking, the water had cooled it to ice cold, I decided to clamp it during the first temper cycle. Clamped it too hard and it snapped right at the choil. dang, again. Thought, hey I could gently regrind the blade portion into a two- or three-finger knife after I temper it. I very, very gently clamped it just flat, nothing to over bend it like pennies. No crack!! I threw it the oven at 450*. After five minutes I heard a loud pop. My heart sank. It snapped again right in the middle of the blade.

Well, it was definitely hard, had a very fine grain, and was very brittle. After examining the remnants, I took a file to it to see why it didn't skate the file. It did...after I got through the decarb layer that is. Dang, I am an idiot. I had forgotten about that part. So, the oil probably did harden it the first go round, and I'm just an idiot.

Well, here are the remnants.
098df46b-187b-4c18-bcfc-0146ac4ba339_zps

Edited by Broomhead
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've thrown more knife shaped objects away than I care to admit. That sucks about the decarb layer. I was wondering why they weren't hardening, mine hardened well. Sorry to hear about it, but mistakes leave lasting lessons.

Sent from the backwoods of Nowhere
It happens brother. Some days I can do no wrong in the shop, some days I can do no right..... I wish I knew what kind of day it was gonna be before I get out there!

If it were me, I'd sand those broken pieces down so they weren't jagged and use them for "educational" pieces. I teach people how to do this, so I'd use them as examples for tapers, grind styles, add a hammon to it.... Etc.
Guest Broomhead

That's a good idea Sweets. I was thinking I could possibly make a tiny utility knife out of the middle piece for leather work and such. At least for practicing my post-HT grinding. I'm also working on a DIY electric etcher so I can experiment on them with that.

Something that chaps my hide, though, I already had handles cut and drilled. I wasted two pieces of good cherry. At least I can reuse the pins.

Edited by Broomhead
Guest Broomhead

Thanks for the kind words guys. I was royally pissed that night to be sure. I'm not going to waste the handle scales, they will go on another knife, whether the same shape handle or one where I can use the front pin hole and chop off the excess.

Hey, I'm amazed at guys like you that forge your own blades. Some day I'll do this, I hope, but the fact your even doing it would be satisfaction to me. Thanks for sharing, I don't fully understand everything that happened, but I do get the frustration - experience is not easy to gain.

Well, I don't forge...yet. :) All of mine so far have been stock removal, I grind away everything that isn't a knife.

Hey, I'm still buying from knifekits.com, so you're way beyond me. Thanks for sharing - things like this are good to recall when we screw up while learning.
Guest Broomhead

Hey, I'm still buying from knifekits.com, so you're way beyond me. Thanks for sharing - things like this are good to recall when we screw up while learning.

There's nothing wrong with knife kits, everybody has to start somewhere. Maybe once I finally get the shop set up the way I want it you can come over and grind one out.

Well, I don't forge...yet. :) All of mine so far have been stock removal, I grind away everything that isn't a knife.

You've done a decent amount of forging at my place.

Sent from the backwoods of Nowhere

There's nothing wrong with knife kits, everybody has to start somewhere. Maybe once I finally get the shop set up the way I want it you can come over and grind one out.

You're too kind - that would rule. Thanks.
Guest Broomhead

You are very welcome. I'll let you know when I finally get everything set up. Right now I'm just work out of my covered patio.

Spots, you're right. However, I want to start forging here at home. I've been collecting hammers.

Dude, that was a good looking knife. Just clear your head and cut another one. Your shapes are really nice. At least you ruined it trying to make it right.The ones I have royally screwed up were in an attempt to make them look good and ended up making a piece of steel shit.

• 2 weeks later...
image_zps65b93481.jpg

I hadn't broke one in a while until tonight! I was rushing and didn't heat the oil enough. It felt warm, but it must have been colder on the bottom. As soon as I heard the "pop" I instantly thought of you.... Lol

At least my hammon was coming through... I hear it doesn't show well on 1095....