Henry Rifle: Thinking about buying one. A good purchase?

glock55

Have been thinking about buying a Henry Rifle for awhile and was at Bass Pro today so checked one out. Looked at the 22LR with the 18 1/4 inch barrel. I must admit it really felt like a fine rifle. I was wondering if anyone could give an opinion on this model. I have done some research on them and it all looks good but would appreciate a hands on view point. If you guys advise they are a wise purchase I think I will get one next weekend. Thanks in advance for your input.

I have a golden boy and it's the most beautiful rifle I own and love.  It's one that deserves to be on display! Every time I hold it I feel like I'm holding a piece of American history in my hands even though it's a modern piece of firearm art.

Edited by RobertNashville

I'll join the chorus with my Henry H001 .22.  After owning two Ruger 10/22s I was ready for something else.  Now nothing's gonna replace that lever gun.  I also have to give a cheer to Henry for customer service.  When I first got the rifle I had a few FTFs--I wasn't sure if it was the gun or the ammo.  A call to Henry was all it took.  They sent a pre-paid shipping label to me and I had the rifle back in 10 days with a new carrier.  No problems since.

My Big Boy .357 is a hoot to shoot.  It's dead on at 100 yards. Drops 6" at 175 yards.  Depending on the loads.  38 specials feed well and have zero recoil, they just go "poof". .357 have very little recoil and offer some stopping power to boot. The Henry loads from the muzzle through the tube, it does not have a loading gate. It loads faster than using a loading gate but you can't do it in the prone position. The rifle's octoganal barrel make the rifle barrel heavy but that is the only drawback I can see and it does tame the recoil very well.

Edited by Will Carry

I middle tn gunsmith I know, who I will remain nameless, claims that they are made very cheaply based on having to work with them. I'm sure they work fine based on what other have said.

While I am not all-knowing about anything and while I'm not a gunsmith, I've never before head anyone say anything like that about a Henry rifle.  "Cheeply made" has certainly not been either my personal experience nor the experience of anyone I've ever known who owned one (including a couple fo gunsmiths).

Not trying to badmouth your friend but I truly don't understand where he would be coming from with that statement.  :shrug:

Guest ochretoe

I have a commemorative golden boy.  Love the way it feels but I can't use the iron sights.  I have very poor eyes and cannot see the back sight for some reason.  My so shoots the crap out of it though.

While I am not all-knowing about anything and while I'm not a gunsmith, I've never before head anyone say anything like that about a Henry rifle. "Cheeply made" has certainly not been either my personal experience nor the experience of anyone I've ever known who owned one (including a couple fo gunsmiths).

Not trying to badmouth your friend but I truly don't understand where he would be coming from with that statement. :shrug:

He's a well know gun smith in the area. Also I don't want to offend anyone that has one. While I can't speak to metal actually used but the rimfires exceptthe brass receivers appear to be made of the same material hi points are made of, some kind of pot metal. Also if you look closely the finish is some kind of paint. I'm not saying they don't shoot or arent accurate but there's a reason they're <$300

He's a well know gun smith in the area. Also I don't want to offend anyone that has one. While I can't speak to metal actually used but the rimfires exceptthe brass receivers appear to be made of the same material hi points are made of, some kind of pot metal. Also if you look closely the finish is some kind of paint. I'm not saying they don't shoot or arent accurate but there's a reason they're <$300

They look to be a lot pricier than that... maybe the .22's... http://henryrepeating.com/index.cfm

Doing some further research the on the rim fires that the receiver alone is made of 3 different types of metals. Steel, zamac (which is what I think hi points are made of, and brasslite if you have a golden boy model to "cut production costs". Compare that to a marlin receiver it's all steel.