home security

Can any one reccomend any home security like adt gaurdian fleenor ect ect. I work third shift and my house was broken into the other night. I know they were looking for guns because nothing else was missing. Luckily they only got one because all my other ones were locked up in the safe. They got my nightstand gun. I live in east tn so if any one runs across a beretta px4 sub compact in 40 caliber sn pz61117 please contact local law enforcement promptly. Thanks to all for reccomendations.

I use a Vivint system and i really like it.  Comes with video monitoring that auto records when the alarm goes off with pretty decent quality video saved to an online server.  It also lets me arm, disarm, lock and unlock my front door and adjust my thermostat from my computer or smart phone well as view the live video feed.  Programable cypher lock on my front door and user programable disarm codes so that when we go out of town we can give friends access to the house without giving them keys.  I can look online and see when the lat time a door was opened or the alarm was set or disarmed.  it came with a glass break detector to

Monitoring isnt the cheapest but its not terribly expensive either

Double barrel shotgun....just go out on the porch and shoot a couple rounds at the noise (sound shot for you deer hunters) and yer problems are over according to Vice President Joe Biden. We all know that 'ol
Joe don't tell no lies......but he is a bit on the ignorant side, so you might want to think this over and get advise from your local sheriff first. Edited by Randall53

Double barrel shotgun....just go out on the porch and shoot a couple rounds at the noise (sound shot for you deer hunters) and yer problems are over according to Vice President Joe Biden. We all know that 'ol
Joe don't tell no lies......but he is a bit on the ignorant side, so you might want to think this over and get advise from your local sheriff first.

We currently use simplisafe but they don't have video. Recommended by Dave Ramsey cause there's no contract and you own the equipment.

The one time maintenance came into our place, I got a text, within 5 seconds they were calling asking for the code word and had police verified on the way within 60 seconds of it going off.

what i am going to say will make some here mad.  before you buy a home system, any system, i would check on the respond time of the police.  if it take 20 minutes before they show up then you are wasting your money.  if it takes 5 minutes, you are still wasting your money.  does the alarm company call you first to see if you did not set the alarm off before calling the police?  if so more time more time wasted.   it take less than 5 minutes to steal you blind. the bad guys know how much time they have before the police arrive and they will be in and out with your stuff long before the police show up.  so you lose in two way, the stuff the bad guys steal and the money the alarm companies stead.  the only thing that i have seen that will work in today world is a big dog.  a big barking, mean looking dog inside your house has shown to stop more bad guys than the alarm company sign in the front yard. 

• Like 3
Doesn't make me mad at all, it sounds like personal justification for not wanting a system.

A few things to clarify:

You want the company to call to verify possible false positives

The alarm sysytem has mechanisms built in (for ours personally) panic buttons on keychains, panic button on the wall by the bed, that report an emergency request directly to police without question and sound off the sirens in/out of the house instantly.

The system is configured for carbon monoxide and smoke as well, they're no longer just physical security.

Alarm systems with dispatch also lower our renters insurance, and it lowers our new home owners insurance by a substantial amount, dogs do not do that.

Finally, if it takes a while for the police to respond, why worry about calling the fire department when your house in on fire? Cause they'll take longer and the house could be completely engulfed within 20 minutes. Point is, no matter what the situation, you need backup/assistance. We can't handle all aspects of an invasion/fire by ourselves, no matter how much we would like to think otherwise.
We had a dog. Pfft where I grew up up north you'd have a dead dog & an empty house without an alarm too. We had perimeter alarms on all the fence lines and gates with outdoor sirens & floodlights. Pissed our neighbors off especially the one that kept stealing stuff off our back deck. Wish wildgame cameras had been as cheap then as now. There is no one solution, its a combo of precautions to make it as difficult & undesirable for them to target you vs the other guy without all your deterrents. Unless you're home to actively repel an attempt nothing is guaranteed to stop a determined person. If they're that determined you've made some mistake to motivate them. Maybe dr.alarms can offer some advice on a good provider in your area if he doesn't service out there.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

I cannot recommend ADT -- i had them for three years and basically their gound floor system sucks.  I came home to officers in my driveway more times than I like to admit due to system failures.

I would recommend getting your own rig, cameras etc and put them in noticable locations not easy to get to.  I have a 8 camera setup i bought from SAMS and there are 6 cameras in the front of the house and 2 in the back -- i also have GSD's in the back yard.

I have Fleenor as well and not much complaints with their system...

ADT is aweful though.

Amazing to me some of us own thousands of dollars and some of us own tens of thousands of dollars in firearms and other vaulables but we wont spend 1k for a security system ... i was guilty as heck for a while and luckily it didnt bite me.  No matter how good your safe is all it does is buy time......

I've always wanted to try one of these but we have a small dog that stays home during the day and it would be hell on the dog or may even kill her to be stuck in this for a few hours. <br /><br />http://burglarbomb.com

Those are cool, but holy moly could you imagine having to decon the house after one of them tripped?

Greetings!

I had ADT at my previous residence in an urban area for quite some time. I moved here to the boonies a few years ago and entered another three year contract with ADT. I paid some additional cash to add other windows, motion detection, etc. because the basic package doesn't cover near enough security for me. I selected ADT because quite frankly, they seemed to be the only game in town, or I should say boonies.

I must say some of the above posts have valid comments. I pay $103.00 quarterly no matter how many sensors you have. They are not as good of a security company as I would desire but, better than going to bed and / or leaving your residence with nothing at all. In the roughly ten years I've had ADT, I've had three instances that triggered the alarm. Two were the activation of the smoke detector when the wife had something over flowing in the oven. Once was when the motion detector went off at 3:00 A.M.

Getting the verification call from ADT ranged from 3-12 minutes upon activation of the alarms. When my motion detector set the alarm off at 3:00 A.M. it took them about 5 minutes to call me maybe, I was under some stress and minutes seemed like hours. To make a long story short, they asked my wife if I was going to clear the basement or should they send the cops? At the time I thought that was a no brainier, send the police! Anyway...

It took the Sheriff's deputy about forty (40) minutes to arrive while I was covering the basement door with Mr. .357. Won't go into my experience with trying to exit my bedroom with my Remington 870 pump long gun and going back for my handgun to silence the alarm in the kitchen.

But anyway, it's slower than I would like and it's better than nothing. A burglar / home invader worth his salt can disable these types of systems pretty easily using only your standard hard wire phone line. IMHO, your best defense is getting those few extra precious seconds of warning to prepare. I will be getting me a barking dog in the near future too.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it  :wave: