Bee season is upon us!

Guest Longshot1

I learned the hard way that you don't let hornets build a hive.  We had some in the yard a couple of years ago.  I tried to take a live and let live approach, but it didn't work out.  the father in law took a couple to the head and neck, so we went to war.  Four cans of hornet killer later and there were bodies everywhere.  We were hitting them in the air, on the ground, and down the hole.  After the battle, we were surveying the wreckage, when I heard the sound of a chopper coming in from the left.  I braced for impact, and felt the searing, vibrating burn as the assassin exacted her vengeance on me.  I never saw the assailant, but the damage was done.  Three days of a swollen neck and a week of pain.  Never again I cry, NEVER AGAIN!  All hornets must die!  :0) 

• Like 7

I guess sawdust would work? something that is biodegradable yet as effective as grits and Rice. I don't eat grits, i guess that's about as good anything to use as a "bee killer" load.

Dang red wasps i really hate. I just don't have a badminton or tennis racket handy. And right now i don't re-load. BB gun is out as well, since i have neighbors close by. Guess a paintball gun would work, but that unpredictable trajectory might piss 'em off worse.

What are some favorite recipes for loading shotshells in 38spl for bees? So far we have "rice and grits"...

I think Buck1032 is using walnut nedia in his. I know they are deadly. I've been killing wasps for 4 days now. Even cut one in half @ 10ft. Wasps are really hard to hit while they are flying, they look like drunken sailors staggering from the bar.

What are some favorite recipes for loading shotshells in 38spl for bees? So far we have "rice and grits"...

I used crushed walnut hull, left over from when I changed the grit in my tumbler.  2 grains of Bullseye, over-powder (5/16") and over-shot (3/8") wads cut from card stock with gasket punches.  Not a recommendation for you or anyone, just what I use.

Carpenter bees......I have a bat for that. Destructive little buggers.

My pole barn is like Swiss cheese. I upgraded my weapon of choice to a tennis racket. After I achieve 3 - love, I pounce on them! Then more times than not, a few seconds later I hear their bizzz, and up from their eternal resting place they arise. Tough to terminate little buggers.

Tennis racket or Badminton racket but bad thing is you dont get to shoot your gun.You want a challenge? try using a bb gun.

Evidently you're not a seasoned "carpenter bee hunter"? Badminton rackets are only good for a hundred or so kills before the string webbing starts to unravel. After 100 swats, I'm just getting warmed up for the population in my pole barn so I need some "serious medicine", a tennis racket  :wave:

Better check the stupid Tennessee wildlife laws, as it might only be legal to hunt wasps, hornets and carpenter bees with a BB gun December - February :ugh:

I'm not much fan of Bumble bees. They don't bother me. Red wasps on the other hand are the devil. I hate those suckers. Haven't had a swarm of bees or carpenterbees before but friend of mine i used to work with has. He finally got so fed up with the darn things he put some sort of bee killer solution in the holes they was drilling. Not seen one since.

Thing about a badminton racket, they usually come in a set of 4 so when the strings get bad in one, you have spares. Tennis rackets are fine, just the badminton racket i think is quieter.

Carpenter bees......I have a bat for that. Destructive little buggers.

I got one of those cute little battery powered electical swatters from Harbor Freight. It works, but a pingpong paddle or an old tennis racquet does just as well.

I learned the hard way that you don't let hornets build a hive.  We had some in the yard a couple of years ago.  I tried to take a live and let live approach, but it didn't work out.  the father in law took a couple to the head and neck, so we went to war.  Four cans of hornet killer later and there were bodies everywhere.  We were hitting them in the air, on the ground, and down the hole.  After the battle, we were surveying the wreckage, when I heard the sound of a chopper coming in from the left.  I braced for impact, and felt the searing, vibrating burn as the assassin exacted her vengeance on me.  I never saw the assailant, but the damage was done.  Three days of a swollen neck and a week of pain.  Never again I cry, NEVER AGAIN!  All hornets must die!  :0) 

Yeah, the hornets are deadly, and the  finger size monsters that burrow in the ground are really aggressive. Those suckers have chased me into the house before. I keep several cans of Wasp and Hornet spray on each porch and in the garage just to try and catch any of the little buggers in a resting position.