Pratical or not, I like this. What say you?

z90HD

Not practical at all, I'll take 2;-)

It could work if you were Jesse Ventura fighting the Predator but it would at least need a laser (or 3) to aim at all. The grenade launcher would be impossible to use with the ammo box in the way.

Replace the grenade launcher with an actual chainsaw and you might be onto something...if only for a possible Gears of War movie. Edited by Romad7

we used to have to film hobby RC aircraft with handheld cameras.  

One trick we learned was to rotate the viewer screen(it had a screen that shows what you are filming so not *that* long ago) 90 degrees to normal and film from the hip.  You can hold it rock steady that way and simply looking down you can see what you are pointed at due to the rotated viewer.

This gun begs for a modern targeting system of that sort.   I do not even know if such exists, though it would be easy to rig one up.  Anyway, put a screen that shows what you are aimed at on it that can be rotated several ways (and locked down and is recoil hardened etc) and you have a practical from the hip weapon.  

Better yet, route the viewer wireless to your shooting glasses .... its coming.   so yes, with tech, such a setup can be made useful.  

• Like 1
That still doesn't change the fact that you have to expose over half your body to deploy it. How would you fire it prone? How would you engage from cover? There's a reason you'll never see a Marine firing from the hip.

Like my uncle told me once years ago. He was in Vietnam and he told me he met Rambo while he out on his first patrol. He says Rambo died in the first twenty seconds of the exchange. Everyone else that survived was hiding and firing from cover. LOL
Why would you even think about taking cover if you were wielding such a superior piece of firepower? I think most enemy combatants would surrender upon contact if they even though you might be packing one of these bad boys. Those that don't would soon fall to the scorching wall of lead you could throw their way, and you'd look so cool doing it.

The only thing more effective would be a chest rig that would allow you to dual wield these suckers. One man army right there.

That still doesn't change the fact that you have to expose over half your body to deploy it. How would you fire it prone? How would you engage from cover? There's a reason you'll never see a Marine firing from the hip.

Like my uncle told me once years ago. He was in Vietnam and he told me he met Rambo while he out on his first patrol. He says Rambo died in the first twenty seconds of the exchange. Everyone else that survived was hiding and firing from cover. LOL

Prone is a problem for this setup, agreed.   From cover --- its like a chainsaw, you can hold it over your head or out to the side, look in the video feed, and fire it easily enough.   Shooting from the hip is silly, of course.  That is not the point, you can hold it straight out, or a dozen other ways.   The question is if any of the "chainsaw" positions are practical in any sort of combat.   I don't know, but at a guess, maybe?  I assume this gun weighs less than a chainsaw, allowing you to hold it steady over the head or out to the side or something.   Would have to have one in hand to really see if its of any use.   The standard design is standard for a reason though, and this would *never* replace it, even if it did possibly have *some* uses.

Seems like a silly toy to me with no purpose whatsoever. You can't shoot it off your shoulder which means you can't hit squat with it and worse, you have to be exposed to use it.

Maybe it would be useful in a specific, niche situation - say, laying down cover fire while retreating in an open/exposed environment?  Being that I am not military, ex-military or even all that 'tactical' (I'll take a lever action over an AR15 any day - they just suit my tastes better), I have to wonder if they might not work for such a use in such instances when you are 'exposed', anyway.

It could work if you were Jesse Ventura fighting the Predator...

Speaking of that movie, maybe it would work better if put to a use more aligned with an actual chainsaw.  Remember the scene where, well, this scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR37Z5DzsTg

That minigun sure did a heck of a job clearing away foliage.

Edited by JAB

Maybe it would be useful in a specific, niche situation - say, laying down cover fire while retreating in an open/exposed environment?  Being that I am not military, ex-military or even all that 'tactical' (I'll take a lever action over an AR15 any day - they just suit my tastes better), I have to wonder if they might not work for such a use in such instances when you are 'exposed', anyway.

Speaking of that movie, maybe it would work better if put to a use more aligned with an actual chainsaw.  Remember the scene where, well, this scene:

That minigun sure did a heck of a job clearing away foliage.

For sustained fire standing up, it's a great solution. However, if you are in a situation where sustained fire is needed and you are standing up in the open, you will be dead very soon.

Unless, of course, you are fighting a Predator in a jungle with a mini gun. Then it is appropriate to fire the mini gun in a blaze of pure awesomeness while flexing your muscles and causing the pretty girl to cower in awe of your amazing firepower!

Come to think of it a 7.62 mini gun is appropriate for just about any situation....