Anyone driving in any lane, left one or not and doing the LEGAL SPEED LIMIT is breaking NO law! 

Dave S

In KY there are signs posted "Left lane for passing only"

In TN there are signs posted " Slower Traffic Keep Right"

I dont think these are laws, just advice.

Edited by RED333

Anyone driving in any lane, left one or not and doing the LEGAL SPEED LIMIT is breaking NO law!

Dave S

In KY there are signs posted "Left lane for passing only"
In TN there are signs posted " Slower Traffic Keep Right"
I dont think these are laws, just advice.

In KY it's law on roads that are posted. I don't believe it applies on roads where you can make left turns.

I can't even read this thread anymore. It is like deja vu all over again.   So I will just post my 2 cents and move on, LOL.

I figure if someone is riding my ass and driving aggressive they must have a good reason to do it.  Maybe their house is on fire, or their mother just had a stroke or something.  I give the benefit of the doubt and get the heck out of the way.  Just let them go on.

Slowing down to the point people get pissed off has no real purpose.  Just seems like a dick measuring contest or something.  

Carry on.

• Like 7

While many here don't like it, for any state (and TN is one of them) who follows the Uniform Vehicle Code "a car driving below the "normal speed of traffic" should be driven in the right-hand lane." Because it indicates "normal speed" instead of saying "speed limit" a driver going above the speed limit but slower than most traffic is still in the wrong. TN LEOs may not care and may not ticket you but it is what it is. Other states absolutely WILL ticket you and KY is one of them.

So, for those who think that they can't be breaking the law if they are driving the speed limit I call Bovine Scatology on that assertion.

Of course many won't think so as they don't like being confused by the facts which was so eloquently stated by Garnfa when he said...

...Half the people here understand the unwritten [and I would add "written"] rules of the road, the other half think they own it.

Edited by RobertNashville

Dave S

55-8-115.  Driving on right side of roadway -- Exceptions.

B. Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
  • Like 2

55-8-115.  Driving on right side of roadway -- Exceptions.

B. Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

Tractors, bicycles, wagons, horse and buggy, broke down slow moving vehicles, baby buggies, me in a wheel chair ect ect..  Passing is not a reason to speed either....just saying.

Dave S

What an interesting read. It's amusing to see how a certain few members seem so emotionally involved in this thread. 

I don't have patience for people who drive slow in the left lane, or drive below the speed limit, especially when I'm in a hurry. If they have that much time to kill, move over and let me by!

I try to do the same for others who seem to be in a hurry when I'm driving at a more relaxed pace. I'll slow down in a passing zone on a 2-lane, or move back over to the right as soon as I can on a multi-lane. I'll gladly pull over on the shoulder for anyone with their flashers on. If nothing else, I might try to bump my speed up a little just to help them out, since I want the same thing done for me.

However, if I'm on a 2-lane road and someone is riding my tail and not taking advantage of passing zones, I like to knock my cruise control down one notch every 30 seconds. They usually go on a pass when they realize we're running 43mph.

Edited by Q-tip

I take a similar tact.  Residential areas, I'm pretty strict on the speed limit.  Around town and on the interstate, I push it a bit.  If someone is riding my butt, I find the speed limit and set my cruise, relax and enjoy the ride.  :0)  I don't even worry about how pissed the idiot behind me is getting.  It's satisfying, really.

The problem I have with that is when you are in the left lane and could easily merge back into the right. You do realize it's illegal to pass on the right, even if I wouldn't have to speed to do so?

Now for the record, I am not talking about me being 6 inches off your bumper at 70mph, I'm talking about following you at a safe distance for 12 miles while you putter along.

**edit** Didn't realize this thread was 6 pages long and I am beating a dead horse. Just worked a 12 hour shift so I think I will go away before I say something really stupid.

Edited by Makiaveli

Six pages and nobody has said anything about the morons who come down the "acceleration" lane onto the interstate doing 40 mph and stop at the end cause you couldn't get over to let them in due to traffic and look at you like your the idiot?  Man, y'all are slipping.

Edited by hardknox00001
  • Like 3

In the old days if you were being an idiot someone would pull you through your car window and kick your azz. Now a days they put you in jail for that. biggrin.gif

I don't drive like an idiot, but if someone tried to pull me out my window, they would get shot multiple times.

I love to drive. Its one of the things that I enjoy the most. For me, its the drivers that are uneducated, pre-occupied, or just simply too arrogant to let traffic flow a smooth pattern. Recently, I've encountered too many distracted drivers who find its my fault when I'm trying to drive safely and enjoy my commute. Soccer mom in her huge SUV on her phone, yelling at her kids, taking up two lanes wasn't helping at all this morning. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok quick little story. This just happened yesterday going home and on a 4 lane road I look in my rearview and notice a White Tahoe running up on my bumper. Then he proceeded to slam in to the slow lane while I am doing the speed limit in the middle of MtJ. then slam back in front of me. So ya I flashed my lights in decuessed whit this nitwit and his driving only to see him do it to about 4 other cars. Where he finally got in the center turn lane to turn into .............CHRUCH shuch good church member hopefully he went in and asked for forgivness for his driving on the way to church..... oh wait bet not lol. Some people will never learn.

I drive an average of 100K a year. (lots and lots of that from West TN to Nashville, is Southwest EVER going to start flying out of Memphis?)

I leave in plenty of time to make my flight if I have a flat tire or two, if every set of semis I encounter are slow racing (my pet peeve) or there is a wreck that flat stops traffic.

I no longer have any feelings that can be hurt, and I do not get angry at idiots, it would only shorten my life span to allow the other person to dictate how I act or react.  I keep my vehicles in top shape, I run a little over the speed limit and will drive away from trouble or stop and have a cup of coffee if it seems I need to allow some idiot time to get on up the road and away from me.  I try to keep several car lengths of clear road between me and the nearest bumper, to no avial usually, as there seems to be this axiom about nature (and driver's) abhorring a void...

Edited by Worriedman

Now that this is 6 pages long, everybody take a deep breath and imagine what it's like out there on two wheels. It's so bad that I film every ride with a helmet cam just so my heirs will know what really happened.

Now that this is 6 pages long, everybody take a deep breath and imagine what it's like out there on two wheels. It's so bad that I film every ride with a helmet cam just so my heirs will know what really happened.

Very true.  Motorcycling has taught me to be humble when on the roads.  More people should have this experience.

• Like 2
Guest Darth Maul

I have had, for many years, a solution for over aggressive, roid like , imbecile drivers who like to swerve in and out, ride my ass and attempt to bully me out of the way even though I'm doing 10+ mph over the posted limit. While I will keep my methods to myself I will guarantee two things if you do it to me. You will never prove it was me and you will definitely think twice before driving like a douchebag again. And by some twist of fate that you're notnot intelligent enough to back off and want to further the encounter, well I have a plan B for just such and occassion. Plan B is life altering.

Have you ever seen that law enforced? The thing that gets me is these idiotic drivers having to pass me and immediately get in front of me using no turn signal. Had an old fart pass me in Tullahoma today( not that i was in any hurry or that he was bothering me) but when i leave a space in front of me ( the 10 ft per 10 miles per hour ) please signal before getting into that space( especially when pulling a trailer). That gives me ample time to brake or react in case the driver in front of me has to stop for something.