Internet service providers in Nashville

Billco

I am just about at the falling out stage with AT&T as my phone/internet provider and I eliminated Comcast years ago. Can anyone tell me of a High speed/broadband service in the Nashville area that you are satisfied with?  I am looking for internet only. Any suggestions or information is appreciated.

Never noticed that. Maybe if you didn't spend so much time on Tube Galore. :P

lolol ...

I'm rarely on the tube, but do like to click facebook and forum links for the Tube :)  For a 1 minute video, it takes 20 minutes to load!

Never noticed that. Maybe if you didn't spend so much time on Tube Galore. :P

lolol ...

I'm rarely on the tube, but do like to click facebook and forum links for the Tube :)  For a 1 minute video, it takes 20 minutes to load!

Yeah, something's not right there. I suspect it's not a throttling issue. I use my phone or tablet via wifi far more the computer, and I've never experienced such an issue.

Does anyone else with Comcast in this area deal with YouTube throttling at night?

I get 25+ down, and I can't even watch a YouTube video between 6-11pm :(

Cable internet depends on your node ( believe that is the word). If everyone in your area is all downloading or using the web it will slow you all down.

I've had Comcast forever now. Had 50Mbps and switched to 105Mbps when it first came out. They just recently dropped their prices, so now I pay for 105 what 50Mbps users used to pay. Internet bill went from $207 down to about $122 now for what basically amounts to 120Mbps up and 22Mbps down when I speed test it.

My home network is heavy. We have 6 laptops, 3 desktops, 3 iPhones that switch to the home network for data, a Roku and a PS3 on the net, so we needed the bandwidth. We stream movies on the Roku in HD, all the while my wife will be doing work on her laptops streaming HD news (video) and a lot of time I'm streaming radio while browsing forums and up/downloading things. It doesn't hiccup at all. :up:

I've not had any problems out of the higher speeds. They did have to run new line in the walls as the old stuff couldn't do these speeds.

Cable internet depends on your node ( believe that is the word). If everyone in your area is all downloading or using the web it will slow you all down.

I live close to a large college campus and the lowest speeds I see are at night. I hit up to 120Mbps on my 105Mbps service during regular hours, but at certain times of the night I see a little slower speeds.

I'm getting this right now:

2668050310.png

Google fiber cannot come soon enough.

My friend's parents have fios in the middle of nowhere in Indiana and they get a 1ms ping 200+ miles away to Cincinnati, that stuff is crazy. Surfing feels almost like the computer is predicting what you do next

My friend's parents have fios in the middle of nowhere in Indiana and they get a 1ms ping 200+ miles away to Cincinnati, that stuff is crazy. Surfing feels almost like the computer is predicting what you do next

I get 0 pings. :cool:

2669143407.png

I get 0 pings. :cool:

2669143407.png

What your seeing aren't your true results, your traffic isn't leaving even leaving comcast's infrastructure and they heavily favor their customers traffic on their pipes.

Here's my "speedtest" from comcast's server (they are dramatically slowing my traffic b/c I'm not using their services)

2669190806.png

Move to a server that doesn't have bias to any traffic and my ping drops by half and my upload doubles despite the 10x increase in  distance traveled. . . 

2669224646.png

What your seeing aren't your true results, your traffic isn't leaving even leaving comcast's infrastructure and they heavily favor their customers traffic on their pipes.

Here's my "speedtest" from comcast's server (they are dramatically slowing my traffic b/c I'm not using their services)

2669190806.png

Move to a server that doesn't have bias to any traffic and my ping drops by half and my upload doubles despite the 10x increase in  distance traveled. . . 

2669224646.png

Ping gets higher going north, but my speeds test nearly the same outside of Comcast pipes where the infrastructure has the capability to support top tier speeds:

2669270786.png

2669286148.png

Edited by JohnC

Ping gets higher going north, but my speeds test nearly the same outside of Comcast pipes where the infrastructure has the capability to support top tier speeds:

2669270786.png

That ping is more realistic of good service, comcast's traffic is top tier on other providers in the US as well as due to mutual carry agreements with other high bandwidth partners. I'm not saying that your service isn't worth what your paying or that it's bad service it's actually great you just have to be wary of where the speed test data comes from.(keeps 'em honest :) )

My connection here speeds up greatly when I'm not sharing it with several thousand coworkers. :woohoo:

2110153266.png