Would-be robber didn't see this coming

The guy was pretty lucky that worked out well for him...could have easily gone the other way.

AT the risk of overstating the obvious, not only does it show how quickly this can go down it's also a good reminder of how essential it is that we stay aware of our surroundings; it's a lot safer to avoid a conflict like this than have to escape from it once we are in it!

• Like 4

Had the robber pulled the trigger as the victim moved the barrel away from him ~ whether or not it hit him, the percussion from a shotgun blast that close to your ears would have put the victim on the ground.

Happy to see the victim come away unscathed :cool:

actually I think the right move was to move the barrel away.  but at the same time he needed to engage the robber physically.  if the gun goes off you wont die, so you better be ripping his nuts off in the mean time.  

deflect the gun, and move into his personal space with a vengeance like he has never seen.  No way I could stand still with that barrel up my nostril

• Like 2

The guy was pretty lucky that worked out well for him...could have easily gone the other way.

AT the risk of overstating the obvious, not only does it show how quickly this can go down it's also a good reminder of how essential it is that we stay aware of our surroundings; it's a lot safer to avoid a conflict like this than have to escape from it once we are in it!

Good point. Situational awareness is a must but sometimes it happens so fast you can't prevent it or prepare. I'll have to go back and watch it to confirm if the guy was paying attention or not.

Guest 6.8 AR

The victim decided he wasn't going to be a victim. I wouldn't call that luck.

If you have a barrel pointed at your nose, and you let him use it, you're dead. What luck was involved?

He decided he wanted to live more than the coward who pointed it at him. Making an act of volition isn't

luck. Good video.

The victim decided he wasn't going to be a victim. I wouldn't call that luck.

If you have a barrel pointed at your nose, and you let him use it, you're dead. What luck was involved?

He decided he wanted to live more than the coward who pointed it at him. Making an act of volition isn't

luck. Good video.

Well, the guy could have blown his head off before he got close enough to grab it. I'd call that luck.

But I agree he refused to be another robbery statistic. Good for him.

Well, the guy could have blown his head off before he got close enough to grab it. I'd call that luck.

Honestly it looks like the guy let him get close/was stunned for a minute.

Luck? Preperation? Awareness? I'm sure all these may factor into what occurred. But the willingness to act is primary. In any situation, especially one like this; you  realistically have two choices. Do something or not. I think it's that simple.

And from what I could see on this video, and granted that isn't much; the would-be robber made one great mistake. He allowed his victim within reach of the weapon threatening him. Really looked like it was inches form the vic's head.

At that point, I'd think it's react or die time. Yes this guy took a risk, but it was a risk just to stand there as well.

I hope I'm never put into that situation and have to make that choice. But if I should be there one day; I hope to be able to react this quickly and decisively. I don't think I wish to be that close to a shotty, or any firearm, and freeze up.

Yes, could go either way, but most of us will hopefully never have to make that choice.

Then there's the other side of this video. And I'm not saying this is true. But...it sure was an awfully conveniently placed camera. And it sure picked up the sound of racking that shotgun really, really well.

Just sayin'.

Guest 6.8 AR

Well, he could have danced a jig and drank a bottle of Irish whiskey. :D

If the victim had shot the thug and killed him, would it be self defense?

Maybe if the victim had fired instantly it could be argued self defense but If I remember the video correctly the thug disengaged (ran away) almost instantly so I think you would have a difficult time claiming self-defense.

And, presumably' you've just disarmed him making him less of a threat almost instantly.

Now, if the thug doesn't disengage or wants to reengage...that would be a different matter; whether he's armed or not.

Edited by RobertNashville
Guest uofmeet

the thug(or wanna be thug) instantly gave up the second the would be robbed man made a move. Or at least it looked like that to me. In my mind the thug(wanna be) is just a little bi$@h. Prob pissed his pants. I think he went up there with the mentality that since i have a gun, he will do what i say, and when he didn't, he did not know what to do because he is a little pu$$y boy and ran home to mommy.

Another thought, with that short of a shotgun, and how close he was, any chance if he could tell if it was loaded or not by looking in the barrel or any other indicators? I know on my gun, that if there is a round in the chamber, their is a physical difference on the top of the gun when there is a round in the chamber versus not in the chamber.

Edited by uofmeet

This was one of the major points from the first permit class I attended.  I still  remember being made to say repeatedly. "If I'm invited to a gunfight, I will run."  If I'm not there, no one gets hurt.