Flashlight retention.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gsbell

When doing pistol reloads I do it with the same skill set required for a tac-load. I have small hands and I can still manage to hold both a mag and a light. Not really all that hard, I did it several times at a night time IDPA match just recently.

Thanks for the input.

I have been practicing retention by just dropping it back into the pocket it came from. I was just looking for other options. The strong side armpit looks like it might work for most things.

I'd rather not throw the light. I'd hate to step in my own crap in the dark while running away.;)

skwirl

Guest Phantom6

I think I'd have to agree that if you still need a flashlight AND a reload you are in deep poo poo. A small hand held surefire is easy to hold onto with the off hand while doing a mag change. I've not really practiced that but now that you mention it I've been fiddling with my gear and the ambidextrous mag release on my XD along with my Safariland model #123 mag pouch makes it smooth and easy. I'm not a fan of handgun mounted lights as they are difficult to find concealment holsters for and difficult to draw from when you do.

Here's one way of holding flashlight/handgun I've seen touted several places

(with pix):

http://www.suarezinternational.com/harries.html

edit: oops, just noticed original post re about "while reloading".

Oh well, can't delete a post, so just let it stand.

Agree that if needing to reload while being under fire, flashlight probably becomes a very secondary issue. If it's that dark, maybe it's better YOU are in the dark!

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I carry a flashlight, and a spare magazine, as supplements to the pistol. Given how poorly I shoot during normal lighting conditions, I can imagine how I might need to expend more rounds to solve the problem under low/no light conditions, under stress, and while firing without the support hand.

I'm sure the FBI has stats to show I'll never need to reload during a gunfight, but since I carry both a light and a reload shouldn't I plan for the off chance I may have to use both at the same time? Certainly I should train to clear a malfunction while using a hand held light.

skwirl

• 2 weeks later...
You flashlight becomes my target if you are reloading...think about that.

I have. My flashlight has a momentary switch and will not be on while reloading or clearing a malfunction. I will be strobing the light on/off while using it to search, identify, or shoot as well.

skwirl

Back to the original question...

I PERSONALLY have big enough hands that I can actually do a tac load with flashlight in hand- that is manipulating 2 hi cap mags AND a surefire 6P all at the same time. A straight up speed reload with flashlight in hand is no problem, I just maintain the flashlight , drop the empty mag from the pistol and grab the spare mag and slam it home.

Now as far as what I TEACH...I teach stowing the light under the gun side arm pit when using a pistol. Most people do not have hands big enough to work a reload with a light in hand and even if they do, is it something they ever really practice? Will they be able to do it under stress? Another reason Hi cap pistols offer more options than single stack guns....less reloads needed....

For long guns, I prefer weapon mounted lights. They are much easier to manage than a hand held...especially with a pump shotgun.... But then again most people really have no real point of reference for the context of how their weapon and light would really be used in a gunfight anyways....If you are a civilian and have already emptied a rifle mag (or a shotgun tube for that matter) the odds are you facing multiple adversaries and you are doing more harm than good by turning on the light any more.

The overwhelming majority of civilian gunfights where long guns are involved rarely go more than 5 rounds. And if it IS a situation (Katrina/LA riots/whatever) where you are engaging multiple adversaries BY YOURSELF, the light is probably a bigger liability than asset. Light either needs to be used momentarily to ID and confuse if you are alone or used continuously to overwhelm if you are in a team. You can't "overwhelm" as a single individual-you just can't carry enough light by yourself-, especially against multiple assailants......

Drop the light, get the gun loaded and back in the fight. After 6-15 rounds from a handgun in low light, your vision is toast anyway, and its a little late for positive ID on the target. :cool: If the threat is gone, you have plenty of time to pick the light back up. I feel the same way about the "Tactical Reload" (a misnomer if there ever was one).

DanO