How many defensive handgun calibers do you stock?

hlb14

I'm not sure if I asked this in the right section but how many different calibers do you stock for your self defense pistols? I've slowly stocked up on 9mm and. 45 but after recently getting my carry permit I've tossed around the idea of 40S&W just cause its been somewhat always available lately.

Edited by hlb14
As long as I have at least 50rds for every pistol I have already tested I feel comfortable, the exception is 40 which is my SHTF caliber and I keep a Minimuim of 1500. Currently 7 different calibers of handguns in the safe.
  • Like 1

I have gotten it down to two: 9mm and .32ACP (for my Seecamp).  I also keep some .45ACP around for my 1911 and some .38/.357 for my wheel guns, but I don't typically use them as a defensive carry piece.  I used to keep .40 S&W as well, but I decided to consolidate my carry guns to 9mm thinking that in an ammo shortage it would be easier to find than .40; so much for that stroke of genius.  I think that 9mm is more than sufficient for defensive carry as long as I do my part.  

Edited by East_TN_Patriot
  • Like 1

Pistol- 9mm & .40 cal

Rifle - .22 & 5.56

Shotgun - 12 Ga

( I know a .22 isn't a defensive round, but if i ever was to run out of my other defensive ammo, anything is better than nothing). It may not kill( though if you look at the stats, more people are killed by .22 than any other caliber), but It'll hurt like a B****.

Three.

9mm-- from Memorial Day to Labor Day (or whenever lighter summer clothing is appropriate, which sometimes stretches into mid-late Oct. here in TN)

.45ACP-- for the months & times not covered above

and .22WMR-- every day of the year, in my NAA Black Widow (last resort BUG).

I use Hornady Critical Defense most of the time for each caliber, but I have carried other types of JHP as well.

Edited by tartanphantom

As long as I have at least 50rds for every pistol I have already tested I feel comfortable, the exception is 40 which is my SHTF caliber and I keep a Minimuim of 1500. Currently 7 different calibers of handguns in the safe.

This. I keep a box or two for all the calibers except 45ACP. I hover around 1000 of those. Fact is, if I'm going to have to use a lot of rounds, it will be from my AR's.

.380, .38 SPL, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 45 Colt

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1
Guest RedLights&Sirens
I only have a .40 right now and two boxes of Critical Duty as well as 3 (rounds total) of WWB hollow points. Pathetic, I know. I have plenty of target ammo though.

Im considering getting something compact for the summer as well as a kydex holster. My Communesticut blood has not adjusted to these southern summers just yet and with my high blood pressure I sweat like Niagra Falls.
Assuming you mean how many handgun calibers do we stock defensive ammo for:

9mm Luger
9mm Mak
.32 ACP
.380 ACP
.45 ACP

Like the others, I keep defensive ammo for my go-to long guns too:

.223/5.56
20 ga
12 ga
7.63X39

Assuming you mean how many handgun calibers do we stock defensive ammo for:

9mm Luger
9mm Mak
.32 ACP
.380 ACP
.45 ACP

Like the others, I keep defensive ammo for my go-to long guns too:

.223/5.56
20 ga
12 ga
7.63X39

When I read the term "defensive caliber" I automatically assumed handguns as well. I didn't bother to list the other 6 calibers I use for longarms. :whistle:

• Like 1
Guest ochretoe

I have 600 rnds of.357/.38(interchangeable) for pistol and rifle and 1000 rnds. of .40 for pistol and rifle.

Also have assorted long gun ammo for AK, M1 and shotguns

Guest Lester Weevils

"First call" defensive handgun, 9mm and .357 mag. Also have rifles chambered for those. Since I also shoot em recreationally, have a couple thousand rounds of 9mm and components for about three thousand more in stock. Only about 1000 .357 mag loaded up and only about 1000 in components. Maybe ought to get more .357 bullets and magnum primers some time but I don't recreationally shoot as many rounds of .357 mag.

.380 is a defensive round but I only have one .380 pistol which doesn't get shot much, so only have about 300 .380 and components for a couple hundred more. If I ever get a cheetah for a range toy, would need to stock more.

One 1911 is 9mm, and the other .45 1911 mostly full-time wears a .22 adapter slide, so only keep about 100 .45 in stock.

Keep a few thousand .22 LR for rifle and pistol, and a couple thousand 5.56 for rifle and pistol. I shoot a lot of .22 and very little 5.56.

Old dad gave me his old bolt action chuckster rifle in .22 mag, which is a pretty accurate old gun, so I have a couple hundred rds of .22 mag but it hardly ever gets shot.

I don't mean to sound "mean" but I'm not sure of the point of the question (or maybe I just don't understand the question!).

I suggest that a person stock up the caliber(s) you use for defensive purposes...for those, I'd say only the size of a save place to keep it shoudl be the limiting factor in how much you keep on hand.   Anything else that you really have just for the enjoyment of shooting I don't see a need to keep a big supply.

That said, I think the current ammo situation should be a warning that buying a little on a regular basis is a pretty good idea; that way you don't have to panic or stop going to the range because you don't have "enough" and don't know when you'll be able to replenish!  :)

not sure what defensive means.... but I "stock" most of the calibers I have firearms chambered in, with the exception of a couple of rifles that I just do not shoot much. 

so, um ..

45 acp

45 LC

9mm

38 sp

357 mag

44 mag

22 mag

9x18 mak

12 ga (slugs & buckshot & more)

for sure are all "stocked" to some extent (at least 1 box of defense ammo owned + practice ammo).

Only 3 of those are actually carried, though, and a couple more are strategically stashed.

Edited by Jonnin

thanks guys,

I don't mean to sound "mean" but I'm not sure of the point of the question (or maybe I just don't understand the question!).

I suggest that a person stock up the caliber(s) you use for defensive purposes...for those, I'd say only the size of a save place to keep it shoudl be the limiting factor in how much you keep on hand.   Anything else that you really have just for the enjoyment of shooting I don't see a need to keep a big supply.

That said, I think the current ammo situation should be a warning that buying a little on a regular basis is a pretty good idea; that way you don't have to panic or stop going to the range because you don't have "enough" and don't know when you'll be able to replenish!   :)

I see your point, I use to believe only one caliber was needed. I was a noob. As stated, I just recieved my carry permit and am trying establish a well rounded system. Not trying to start a caliber war, just trying to get an idea of what others were doing.  I have recently come to the conclusion that it may be a good idea to be able to shoot as many different calibers as possible just because you never know what is going to happen or be available.

thanks guys,

I see your point, I use to believe only one caliber was needed. I was a noob. As stated, I just recieved my carry permit and am trying establish a well rounded system. Not trying to start a caliber war, just trying to get an idea of what others were doing.  I have recently come to the conclusion that it may be a good idea to be able to shoot as many different calibers as possible just because you never know what is going to happen or be available.

Many calibers has it's advantages but Iv'e gone the "other direction"...over the past year or so I've narrowed down my pistol calibers to two; my defensive handguns (as well as most of my "for fun" handguns) are either 45ACP or 10MM.

I did that so that I can concentrate on having plenty of both of those two calibers on hand and not have to split my resources among many.

• Like 1

Many calibers has it's advantages but Iv'e gone the "other direction"...over the past year or so I've narrowed down my pistol calibers to two; my defensive handguns (as well as most of my "for fun" handguns) are either 45ACP or 10MM.

I did that so that I can concentrate on having plenty of both of those two calibers on hand and not have to split my resources among many.

I have one focus, and 3 pistols in that caliber. But, I like my other handguns too. I'll always own a S&W revolver or two, even though I almost never shoot them. If I'm gonna own the gun, I'm gonna have some ammo for it. I understand consolidating calibers. I'm just too much of a gun junkie to do it :)