Boy Scouts Allow Gays

Please tell me what I said in the post you quoted that in any way led you to think I am ambivalent toward pedophilia or child sexual molestation.

Or do you just assume that a homosexual scout leader = a child molester?

that is what they think.  Gay boys are now all of the sudden going to attack other boys,  gay adult leaders would assault kids.  They are gay for God's sake they can't help but sexually assault others.   Gay people do not have common decency like straight people.  Yep never seen any PDA's out of straight people,  it is them damn queers always playing grab ass out in public.  They ought to be ashamed.  Blasphemers

• Like 1
Here is an idea;
We have the boy scouts, the girl scouts, why not the gay (Male genital parts ) scouts and the lesbian (female genitals) scouts

I only went as far as a life scout (20 merit badges), order of the arrow and junior assistant scout master.

Sorry all I just had too ;)

Here is an idea;
We have the boy scouts, the girl scouts, why not the gay (Male genital parts ) scouts and the lesbian (female genitals) scouts

I only went as far as a life scout (20 merit badges), order of the arrow and junior assistant scout master.

This is the root of the problem.... the gay lobby has put so much political pressure on the BSA that they apparently felt like they had no choice but change the membership standards. The pressure has come mostly in the form of funding from corporations that already have a "non-discrimination" policy.

It's bullying, plain and simple. Why force an existing group to change? Why not just start your own organization and leave the rest of us alone?

Edited by daddyo

This is the root of the problem.... the gay lobby has put so much political pressure on the BSA that they apparently felt like they had no choice but change the membership standards. The pressure has come mostly in the form of funding from corporations that already have a "non-discrimination" policy.

It's bullying, plain and simple. Why force an existing group to change? Why not just start your own organization and leave the rest of us alone?

Why would anyone want to be part of an organization that's willing to forego their morals, religious beliefs and the safety of the innocent children for money? 

Why would anyone want to be part of an organization that's willing to forego their morals, religious beliefs and the safety of the innocent children for money? 

Good question, and I believe we're going to see, over the next few months, the consequences of selling out.

Edited by daddyo

No, Robert, the Boy Scouts had nothing to do with promoting any kind of sexual proclivity. They were about taking

young men and preparing them to be responsible adults and leaders in their community, plus everything else in the

Boy Scout oath, and motto. If they put it in their charter to not allow gays, I still agree with them. You ain't supposed

to be having sex at twelve, Robert, at least in the Boy Scouts, I thought.

Maybe I'm missing your point???

I agree that the BSA had anything to do with promoting any kind of sexual proclivity but they certainly placed a restriction on who could join based on a boys alleged sexual proclivity didn't they?

That is why I think the formal restriction on "gay scouts" was an inappropriate restriction in the first place; hence why I think dropping that restriction is not only not a big deal but a good thing.

Edited by RobertNashville

Here is an idea;

Here is a better idea; how about people stop going apoplectic about a kid's alleged sexual proclivities or over a private, non-governmental, non-religious organization's decision about who can and can't join and let boys enjoy the great things that scouting can teach them?

• Like 1

What are the morals of the BSA that they are foregoing?

What "religious beliefs" does the BSA have that are being compromised here?

How is the "safety of innocent children" being affected?

Edited by RobertNashville

The post you're referring to was posted while my tongue was placed firmly in my cheek.

• Like 1

What's happening with the BSA is just symptomatic of a society in decline.

Anyone who's been involved with Scouting in the past decade has seen this coming. We knew it was a matter of time. I'm just glad my son got through the program before it went down the tubes.

Edited by daddyo
  • Like 1

Are the girl scouts allowing lesbians to join or are the lesbians not being as vocal and demanding as the gay men?
Makes you wonder doesn't it

Girl Scouts changed their membership requirements some years ago I believe. That's why I don't buy Girl Scout cookies anymore.

Either way, I respect the opinions of others, no matter how strongly I disagree. Not that I am assuming anyone cares, but I don't allow these discussions to have an ill effect how much I generally like most folks here on TGO. If I liked you before (which is almost everyone), discussions like this don't change a thing. 

• Like 2

What's happening with the BSA is just symptomatic of a society in decline.

Anyone who's been involved with Scouting in the past decade has seen this coming. We knew it was a matter of time. I'm just glad my son got through the program before it went down the tubes.

I don't think it's down the tubes.  There may be some hiccups for a bit and there will be some churches that leave the BSA program and migrate to AWWANA, or whatever it's called, but other groups will pick up the slack.  Sex will not be allowed to be discussed, as has always been the case.  The thing that will change is that if a boy come out or is outed, he won't be tossed out.

Girl Scouts changed their membership requirements some years ago I believe. That's why I don't buy Girl Scout cookies anymore.

Love Girl Scout Cookies!  That just means there's more Samoas and Thin Mints for me!!! :)

Just wanted to second what TripleDigitRide said about discussions and how I feel about everyone here. :)

For me, a discussion like this is very enlightening. It shows how diverse our board is.

Very refreshing

Yep I'm still waiting to see someone join the board who is an Arab that loves guns, and who is also an atheist and homosexual.  They'd qualify for an unholy trinity according to some of the threads around here.  I love this board and there are some awesome people here, but occasionally....

ug3Yo.gif

• Like 1

I can only answer one of those.  Back when I was in it, we had a chaplain and there was prayer at the big week long camps and a sunday service.   The chaplain was another patch on that kid's uniform and an official thing.  So there was *some sort* of nondemoninational christian belief system back then.  This would have been the late 80s maybe --- they probably long since removed this sort of thing.  And to be honest, it was mostly symbolic back then --- 99% of the scouts behaved exactly like teenage boys who had been forced into church by their parents or something, cutting up and bored with it.  Most were not openly/loudly disrespectful but most could not have cared less either and would rather have been doing something else.   Enforced services are of little to no merit for kids of any age, and esp useless for teens.

I can only answer one of those.  Back when I was in it, we had a chaplain and there was prayer at the big week long camps and a sunday service.   The chaplain was another patch on that kid's uniform and an official thing.  So there was *some sort* of nondemoninational christian belief system back then.  This would have been the late 80s maybe --- they probably long since removed this sort of thing.  And to be honest, it was mostly symbolic back then --- 99% of the scouts behaved exactly like teenage boys who had been forced into church by their parents or something, cutting up and bored with it.  Most were not openly/loudly disrespectful but most could not have cared less either and would rather have been doing something else.   Enforced services are of little to no merit for kids of any age, and esp useless for teens.

When I was in we had "church services" as well on Sunday mornings (when it was a weekend outing). I suspect, however that such was "allowed" by the BSA, not required and certainly no requirement that any particular religion be mandated.  My troop met in a Methodist church and that's who provided the service...no doubt had a Jewish synagog sponsored the troop that we would have had some type of Jewish service. :)

Either way, I respect the opinions of others, no matter how strongly I disagree. Not that I am assuming anyone cares, but I don't allow these discussions to have an ill effect how much I generally like most folks here on TGO. If I liked you before (which is almost everyone), discussions like this don't change a thing.

Same on this end.

I learned a long time ago to leave any disagreements on a forum, in the thread where it happened & not drag it outside of either the thread or into "the real world" so to speak.

I enjoy a spirited debate, occasionally a participant can get a little hot under the collar but for the most part I've found my fellow TGO'ers to be respectful even while vehemently disagreeing.

There have been a couple of incidents where I've seen some folks resort to using "personal attacks" but they seem to be few & far between.

Maybe someone can answer this for me....

Why is it so important for someone's identity to center around his or her sexuality?

I don't really make it a point to identify myself as heterosexual. From my observation by reading and listening to the news, it seems as though the majority of gays think that their sexual preference is the most important thing in their life.

The way things are going in our society, one day we will have "Gay History Month" and have a gay POTUS. I realize that I am part of a dying breed, but I just hope I'm dead and gone by then. Seriously.

• Like 1

Maybe someone can answer this for me....

Why is it so important for someone's identity to center around his or her sexuality?

I don't really make it a point to identify myself as heterosexual. From my observation by reading and listening to the news, it seems as though the majority of gays think that their sexual preference is the most important thing in their life.

The way things are going in our society, one day we will have "Gay History Month" and have a gay POTUS. I realize that I am part of a dying breed, but I just hope I'm dead and gone by then. Seriously.

I thought we had a gay POTUS
  • Like 2

Make whatever arguments you want about Boy Scouts and the church, but the fact remains (according to them) most are sponsored by churches. Most churches will not give the gays the stamp of approval they demand. I suspect a new organization that is clear in their moral and religious beliefs will rise from this controversy.

I also see comments about gay scout leaders. It is my understanding that gay scout leaders are still banned. No matter which side of this you are on I don’t see how an origination that says you can be a gay scout, but can never be a scout leader will survive.