Alaska; The Last Frontier on Discovery Channel

Anybody else watch episodes of this reality based programs? Fasinating to me. They appear to know their weapons and how to use them.

One of the sons mentioned both the .308 and the venerable .284. Both known for their accuracy. But the scene with one of the Wives mustering up the courage to pull the trigger on a 4&5/8" single-action Ruger 44 mag. was a little humorous. The look on her face after the first round; priceless.  I can think of several alternatives to that firearm for a Woman. Especially someone not use to firing a hand cannon. I believe the husband was loading 300 gr. flat-nose bear-killers into the weapon. Not the most fun round to set-off by any stretch.

Edited by HvBikeWlTravel
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lived there. Fun place. Still got relatives living in Anchorage and down on the Kenai.

Cold long winters with 2 hours of daylight. Summers are much better 2 hours of twilight then the sun pops back up.

Lots of critters. My favorite old Red Salmon fishing hole on the Russian used to be fun but it's over run with bears now. Prior to that the only thing we had to worry about was a Moose and her calf. Everyone carries when they're fishing (mostly big bore rifles).

Cool as it all is cabin fever is a big dot deal in AK and cause's lots of folks to go a lil bonkers, if you get my drift.

Anchorage used to be open carry with anything you wanted to carry be it a pistol or .375 H&H.

I think it takes more courage for me to shoot a full load Ruger in .44Mag than most folks because imho the design is bad and causes the

darned thing to spin back and wack the web of your hand. I have  S&W in .44M and love em.

I started to watch one of the shows and it brought back memories so I turned it off. I like living here in W. TN. :)

Lp

I honestly cannot tolerate any more "reality" shows.

Discovery Channel you say?

if you don't do River Monsters you need to catch up.  mostly Actual reality.

All I know about Alaska is that 70Below's dad shot a moose from his back portch there

if you don't do River Monsters you need to catch up.  mostly Actual reality.

All I know about Alaska is that 70Below's dad shot a moose from his back portch there

I remember him saying "when I shot my first moose" like it was nothing.  :lol:

Edited by Garufa

Frankly, I'm not much on the Hollywood idea of reality with crap like Big Brother, Survivor, etc. But this caught my eye more or less for the scenery and the fact these people were dealing with their very existence.  I'm not detecting a whole lot of fabricated drama.

And yes I completely agree that the design of a double-action revolver tops most singles.  To beat it all, not only was this novice female dealing with 300gr. cannon loads but she had nothing but the stock wood grips to try to hold on to. For my money a .41 Mag in any configured revolver would have been the better choice. Less recoil and likely a little more penetration.

I never had any great desire to visit Alaska but seeing some of the topography has changed my mind. For all of you that have spent some time up there, I'm envious.

Fun fact...IIRC Atz Kilcher's daughter is the singer, Jewell.

I saw that yesterday. Her Brother spent some time in the lower 48 persuing a musical career.  It's really quite a family. No room for sissies.

Edited by HvBikeWlTravel

Anybody else watch episodes of this reality based programs? Fasinating to me. They appear to know their weapons and how to use them.

One of the sons mentioned both the .308 and the venerable .284. Both known for their accuracy. But the scene with one of the Wives mustering up the courage to pull the trigger on a 4&5/8" single-action Ruger 44 mag. was a little humorous. The look on her face after the first round; priceless.  I can think of several alternatives to that firearm for a Woman. Especially someone not use to firing a hand cannon. I believe the husband was loading 300 gr. flat-nose bear-killers into the weapon. Not the most fun round to set-off by any stretch.

I watch it and like it. Reality shows on Discovery are so much better than network reality shows! My tv rarely ever lands on a regular network channel.

I always thought I wanted to move to the Alaskan country side. After watching this show, and seeing how hard a life that is, I have changed my mind. I'm originally from Florida, and after more than a decade in TN, I still have not acclimated to the TN winters, there is no way I could stand 10 months of cold.

I always find it interesting that they seem to live hand to mouth, but they do it with a bunch of really expensive machinery. I don't see them making anything that could be sold for anything substantial. They spend all their time gardening, hunting and fishing just to stock their own pantries. So, I'm not sure how they get all that stuff. Still the show is pretty cool. I love to see how resourceful they can be. It always seems like they are racing winter, and usually lose.

I'm hoping to find a website that allows me to watch this.

My GF and I would both love to visit Alaska. It's definitely on my bucket list.

I was able to visit MT and WY last year and that was fantastic but I know Alaska is an entirely different scene. 

Guest TankerHC

You know whos family that is featured on Alaska? The singer Jewel. Thats her father, mother and brothers. She said so when I heard her interviewed on Howard Stern a few months back.

Edited by TankerHC

You know whos family that is featured on Alaska? The singer Jewel. Thats her father, mother and brothers. She said so when I heard her interviewed on Howard Stern a few months back.

That was confirmed in post #6 above. Definitely makes for an interesting story. 

I always find it interesting that they seem to live hand to mouth, but they do it with a bunch of really expensive machinery. I don't see them making anything that could be sold for anything substantial. They spend all their time gardening, hunting and fishing just to stock their own pantries. So, I'm not sure how they get all that stuff. Still the show is pretty cool. I love to see how resourceful they can be. It always seems like they are racing winter, and usually lose.

I've noticed the machinery thing too.  I'd guess Discovery is paying them easy 5 figures per episode.  I think they get an oil subsidy just for living in AK and they sell/trade the cattle to fund various things.  But I'd assume their bills are pretty low too.... no mortgage, no cell phone, no internet, no TV, no power, no water, ....   that makes life pretty cheap.

Guest TankerHC

I've noticed the machinery thing too.  I'd guess Discovery is paying them easy 5 figures per episode.  I think they get an oil subsidy just for living in AK and they sell/trade the cattle to fund various things.  But I'd assume their bills are pretty low too.... no mortgage, no cell phone, no internet, no TV, no power, no water, ....   that makes life pretty cheap.

With Jewel being a multi millionaire and talking about how much she loves her family, doubt getting anything would be much of a problem for them. After seeing this post thought I might see why they have to rough it.

Turns out Jewels Grandfather was already wealthy when he immigrated from Switzerland and according to some articles PURCHASED his 800 acre homestead and others STAKED his 800 acre homestead.

Her Grandfather was elected as Delegate to the Alaska Constitutional Convention.

Her Grandfather was so famous they did a Documentary on the family in the 1950's.

Jewel and her family were not from Alaska, only her father, she, her brothers in the series, and her father inherited her grandfathers homestead and moved there from Utah.

Her Aunt already owned a world famous Bed and Breakfast and Horse Stable in Homer that people came from all over the world to stay on vacation.

Jewel was sent to Interlochen Fine Arts Academy in Michigan, she was already an Amateur singer, but that was paid for in full by her father.

Jewel claims that she lived in her car for a long time after attending the fine arts academy. I wonder how that would be considering her first album came out in 94, produced by Neil Young and James Taylors Producers, when she was 20.

Must be awfully tough to rough those Alaska Winters with only having a multimillonare daughter and a bankload of cash.

Was just wondering how much of that "Reality" was reality.

Edited by TankerHC

You bring up a good point about the expensive machinery. It crossed my mind when I saw that shovel used for the outhouse dig.

But none of that equipment looked all that new. Guess it could be acquired over a long period or purchased after the new wore off.

With Jewel being a multi millionaire and talking about how much she loves her family, doubt getting anything would be much of a problem for them. After seeing this post thought I might see why they have to rough it.

Turns out Jewels Grandfather was already wealthy when he immigrated from Switzerland and according to some articles PURCHASED his 800 acre homestead and others STAKED his 800 acre homestead.

Her Grandfather was elected as Delegate to the Alaska Constitutional Convention.

Her Grandfather was so famous they did a Documentary on the family in the 1950's.

Jewel and her family were not from Alaska, only her father, she, her brothers in the series, and her father inherited her grandfathers homestead and moved there from Utah.

Her Aunt already owned a world famous Bed and Breakfast and Horse Stable in Homer that people came from all over the world to stay on vacation.

Jewel was sent to Interlochen Fine Arts Academy in Michigan, she was already an Amateur singer, but that was paid for in full by her father.

Jewel claims that she lived in her car for a long time after attending the fine arts academy. I wonder how that would be considering her first album came out in 94, produced by Neil Young and James Taylors Producers, when she was 20.

Must be awfully tough to rough those Alaska Winters with only having a multimillonare daughter and a bankload of cash.

Was just wondering how much of that "Reality" was reality.

That's interesting information.  Guess only the producer/s of the show would know how much the family is subsidized per episode but again, the equipment, the hand tools, the fencing materials, the building materials, and most of the guns don't look new. About the newest thing I saw was that Ruger Stainless Blackhawk.

Guest TankerHC

That's interesting information.  Guess only the producer/s of the show would know how much the family is subsidized per episode but again, the equipment, the hand tools, the fencing materials, the building materials, and most of the guns don't look new. About the newest thing I saw was that Ruger Stainless Blackhawk.

Check this out.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/singers/atz-kilcher-net-worth/

And this

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-businessmen/business-executives/otto-kilcher-net-worth/

Yea, they are roughing it.

Edited by TankerHC

Yea, they are roughing it.

I would agree 'cause they got way more money than I, and they're living in way less comfort, risking way more chance of injury or death. I don't havta go outside to take a crap and I've yet to see Moose, Grizzly, Kodiak, or Wolf when I traipse thru my woods. And if I happen to suffer a heart-attack or accidentally get a severe cut there is a small satellite EMT/Fire Station about 25 mins. away. And nicely paved roads in between.

Edited by HvBikeWlTravel
Guest TankerHC

Except they dont live in the "Wilderness", they live right outside Homer, Alasaka. Pop. 5009. But I can see how they are roughing it though. All they have is Lakeside City Mall, Walmart is 81 miles away.

And where they live, are walking trails. Tourists walk those trails year round. wonder how many have been eaten by Bears and Wolves?

Should note that I did like that show until I saw the OP and started reading about it. (Thanks OP.. :x:). Seemed to be one of the only real, reality shows on TV. Think Ill go back to watching Discovery Documentaries on the Inuits. No money, live in shacks or mud houses in the middle of nowhere (No Malls or Walmarts), still hunt traditionally, still leave dead family members above ground if they die in the winter (Ground is frozen so they cant bury them until it thaws), still speak their traditional language. Only problem they seem to have is  alcoholism because they do have bars in their villages. And they have been living in the same locations for over 1000 years.

Edited by TankerHC