What song do you absolutely loathe?

mav

While I was at the gym yesterday, a song came over the sound system that made me start thinking violent thoughts.  That is how bad I hate it.  It is Far East Movement's "Like a G6."  When I first heard the song a while back, I thought they were saying "like a cheese stick." 

Thankfully, I was just about done with my workout, so I didn't miss much when I just walked out of the gym when the song came on.

As a working musician, composer & songwriter (thankfully not my day job though!), I view "hate" as a relative term when it comes to music. Although my musical tastes are extremely varied and wide-- and have been since a very early age, there are still certain songs & genres that I do not care to listen to.

Nevertheless, when I listen to a tune I tend to approach it from a songwriting point of view most of the time. Whether or not I like or dislike the song is irrelevant many times-- I try to see if the songwriter was effective in getting their point across, or if they were just looking for a quick buck. Unfortunately, most of what is heard in the mainstream these days tends to fall in the latter category.

Regarding the song the OP mentioned, I'm not familiar with it, so I'm not sure if it was the writer's intent to provoke anger, but if so, they certainly accomplished the task with the OP as a listener! :popcorn:

Now we're diverting a little bit here-- are we talking about artists we don't like, or songs? There is a distinct difference. One artist can record a dynamite version of a song, whereas another artist can butcher it beyond recognition. In many cases the artist and the songwriter are one & the same, but many times they are not-- Taking the Helen Reddy example, she recorded songs written by Leon Russell, Graham Nash, and Van Morrison, among others. In fact, most of her material was not written by herself.

Guest RedLights&Sirens
Anything by Nikki Minaj. Altzheimers and dementia patients make more sense than her.

I like listening to all types of music and can go from Mettalica to Celtic Women in less than an hour but shes just an incoherrant babbaling fool. Edited by RedLights&Sirens

While I was at the gym yesterday, a song came over the sound system that made me start thinking violent thoughts.  That is how bad I hate it.  It is Far East Movement's "Like a G6."  When I first heard the song a while back, I thought they were saying "like a cheese stick." 

Thankfully, I was just about done with my workout, so I didn't miss much when I just walked out of the gym when the song came on.

I hate the original BUT some game nerds made a GREAT VIDEO AND SONG parody of it "roll a D6" that I advise anyone who knows what a D6 is to watch.    The non gamers can skip it, it would not make sense to em.

For me, it is not the music.  I can tolerate even bad music.  Its the idiot announcers that yap and cut up on the air and the dumb, loud, and over the top advertisements that get me to change the station.  Soon as someone speaks, I hit the button, and I don;t much care if its traffic, a commercial, or just a yapping announcer.  Mp3 players have eliminated most of this but I still get stuck with just a radio now and again, and when I do, it is usually an awful experience.

I know about 10 times a day they play what my wife calls the douche song on the radio, and she hates that one with a passion.  (blinded by the light, wrapped up like a douche...)  whoever wrote that was on the good stuff....

That was Steve Miller Band and I actually think he say's "Deuce".  And "revved up" not "wrapped up". Doesn't sound like it though. :cool:

No, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, and yes, it is revved up like a deuce.  I had to look it up one day because it does sound like wrapped up like a douche.  I dislike this song too.

No, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, and yes, it is revved up like a deuce.  I had to look it up one day because it does sound like wrapped up like a douche.  I dislike this song too.

Oh. I guess in my youthful age I have only ever heard the Steve Miller Band version. His definitely sounds like "wrapped up like a douche".

Oh. I guess in my youthful age I have only ever heard the Steve Miller Band version. His definitely sounds like "wrapped up like a douche".

Actually, the song was written by Bruce Springsteen. The original is on his debut album, "Greetings from Asbury Park."

Here's a little wiki snippet that is surprisingly correct about the story behind the lyrics:

"The Earth Band's recording of the song features several changed lyrics. The most prominent change is in the chorus, where Springsteen's "cut loose like a deuce" is replaced with "revved up like a deuce." This is commonly misheard as "wrapped up like a douche (the V sound in "revved" is almost unpronounced, and the S sound in "deuce" comes across as "SH" due to a significant lisp)." Springsteen himself has joked about the controversy, claiming that it was not until Manfred Mann rewrote the song to be about a "feminine hygiene product" that it became popular."

By the way, Steve Miller has never recorded a cover version of this song. :shrug:

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 1
Guest RedLights&Sirens
When that G6 song came out a coworker asked me why rappers would be singing about a cheap car like the Pontiac G6. I had to laugh at first because in that context the song was pretty funny. I think when it first came out the G6 (Gulfstream 6 jet) was not yet on the market. When I explained it to them later on that it was a plane she laughed and said that makes more sense.
Guest RedLights&Sirens

That one song by Nickleback, and by "one song" I mean all of them. They are all the same song and they are all just horrifically terrible.

They actually do have a few good ones. "Saving Me" and "If Today Was Your Last Day" arent all that bad. Probably not out of left feild for them considering their lifestyle but its not about heavy boozing and partying like usual.

Well after flexing my google-fu it seems you are correct. How in the world I came up with that I have no idea. I'll also blame that on youthful ignorance haha.

BTW, love your current member title... and your avatar. Class of '85 here, but I think I already mentioned that-- Yeah, before your time.

"Loves that chicken from Popeye's."

Edited by tartanphantom

American Pie

Wow. I think It's a classic. Brilliant lyric writing & imagery, although it's pretty cryptic unless you know the backstory.

Do you hate the song itself, or just because it's been run into the ground by endless repetition? (also applies to "Free Bird")