Best Day Trips around Tennessee

Guest AmericanWorkMule

Guest AmericanWorkMule

We've all done the Jack Daniel Distillery (dodging motorcyclist), Natchez Trace Parkway (dodging bicyclist), and a couple of Winery tours.

Can anyone suggest something out of the ordinary?

I'll offer up a place I like to go as trade to get things rolling.

Lookout Mountain Hang Gliding

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g35223-d1963508-Reviews-Lookout_Mountain_Hang_Gliding-Rising_Fawn_Georgia.html

Guest ochretoe

In East Tn. here are a few. Rafting the Occoee, Aquarium if the Americas in Chat. Ripley's aquarium in Pigeon Forge, Cave tour at Norris Dam State Park, Museum of the Appalachians in Norris Tn, 

In West Tn., for history buffs, Fort Pillow State Park is good as well as Shilo and Davis Bridge State Park.  And then there is the best day trip of all in Tn.  Meeman-Shelby Forest State Park.  Take a deep swamp canoe tour or hike the Chickasaw Bluff trail, or visit the FREE Nature Center or fish one of the two lakes.  Sorry, Had to put in shameless plug. 

If your looking for something relaxing to do for you and your significant other to do try Gorham's Bluff.

http://www.gorhamsbluff.com/

My wife loves it. It's just across the Tennessee state line in Alabama. You can sit up top of a 250 foot bluff and see back into Tennessee for miles and miles. There's nothing earth shattering there other than the views, the food (4 star rated) and lots of peace and quiet. You can rent a cottage or stay in the lodge. Check out the web site.
+1 for rafting the Ocoee! Where else can you raft in the same rivet used for Olympic competition (96 Atlanta)

Other suggestions in Nashville area:

Big pink Bus Tour
http://www.nashtrash.com/

Cheekwood

Bell Meade Plantation

Frist Gallery

Nashville Children's Theater - great place to take kids - excellent performances

Chattanooga:

Lookout mountain and Chickamauga battlefields

Watertown
Jazz festival
Stardust Drivein movie theater

• Like 1

Well, the obvious to me, being from Chattanooga originally are:  Rock City, Lookout Mountain, Ruby Falls, riding the incline, Chickamauga battlefield...in Nashville, if you like country music, id see the Hall of Fame, The old Opry house(Ryman Auditorium), Opryland Hotel is worth seeing I think, take the time to wander around all of the meeting room areas, as theres lots of music history  on the walls.  The General Jackson river cruise and the Hermitage

If you want something really out of the ordinary, go visit the Minister's Treehouse, in Crossville. This thing is amazing. He just keeps adding on and adding on. It's free, but they have a donation box if you feel inclined. I had heard that it was temporarily closed, but I found plenty of recent web pages talking about it as if it is open. Here is a random page of info and pictures from the web: http://www.slate.com/blogs/atlas_obscura/2013/06/11/world_s_largest_treehouse_built_by_divine_inspiration_in_crossville_tennessee.html

Another cool place to visit is Ozone Falls. It's free and just a short walk from the parking lot. http://www.tn.gov/environment/na/natareas/ozone/

Guest AmericanWorkMule

We've been to Shiloh. I only knew a little bit about it before going. I grew up in Colorado and studied more post civil war western history.
Anyway,..
The first thing I did once we got there was just get out of the car and walked around a bit.

The hair on my neck stood up from the vibe that Shiloh battlefield gives off. Especially walking up to that pond...  whoo  ooo  :stare:

Real Foot lake. I'm telling you it's gorgeous.
They got the only restaurant anywhere (to my knowledge) that can serve Crappie. Yum!

See some bald eagles, eat some fish. Good times.

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA........Now how can you tell us of a restaurant that serves CRAPPIE and not tell us what it IS???   There has to be a law against that Caster!!!!  and you done went and broke it!!

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA........Now how can you tell us of a restaurant that serves CRAPPIE and not tell us what it IS???   There has to be a law against that Caster!!!!  and you done went and broke it!!

Okay, sorry. It's been a while since I been up there. It's been on again off again legal since the 40's. apparently it's off again. I didn't know. Sorry. Give it a few years, it'll be back on again.
Guest AmericanWorkMule

is it Boyette's Dining Room?  they were on TN Crossroads

http://www.boyettesdiningroom.com/

Okay, sorry. It's been a while since I been up there. It's been on again off again legal since the 40's. apparently it's off again. I didn't know. Sorry. Give it a few years, it'll be back on again.

Saw some rafting the Ocoee comments. If that's a little hectic for your blood, floating the HIwassee is an awesome way to waste time and enjoy the outdoors. 

As is floating both the Clinch (Norris Lake tail waters) and Nolichucky Rivers. Someday, I'd also like to get around to doing a two-day float on the Holston.

Cumberland County Playhouse in Crossville... We've seen several shows and it's always excellent.  http://www.ccplayhouse.com/static/shows.html

Barter Theater in Abingdon, VA is likewise excellent.  There's a number of B&B's nearby that can make for a really nice get-away weekend.  It's a beautiful area with lots of other stuff to do.  http://www.bartertheatre.com/

We typically prefer the comedies as 21st century life has enough drama for my taste.  I can immediately think of 3 or 4 shows we've seen where my stomach hurt the next day from laughing so hard.  Generally, I recommend you sit as close as possible.  Nothing like literally being a few feet away from the actors. 

The diamond in the rough around here is Graceland. It really is fantastic! Don't get your hopes up on seeing his bedroom or the toilet he died on because they don't show that. Elvis never let any guest upstairs so they have continued his wish. Even if you could care less about Elvis it will help you appreciate the road he paved for all the other rock and roll musicians out there. Other things worth visiting...Pickwick Lake, National Bird Dog Museum, Shiloh and pretty much any State Park.

Edit: Also the Gibson Guitar Factory Tour is awesome. Edited by Slappy

Barter Theater in Abingdon, VA is likewise excellent.  There's a number of B&B's nearby that can make for a really nice get-away weekend.  It's a beautiful area with lots of other stuff to do.  http://www.bartertheatre.com/

I second Abingdon as a cool place to visit.

The Virginia Creeper Bicycle trail is one of the most fun things I have ever done in my life. Go to Abingdon and head East to Damascus. For $26 a person they will rent you a bike and give you shuttle to the top of the mountain. You pedal the 100 yards or so to get out of the parking lot, then basically coast downhill for the next 17 miles. The trail is a very moderate grade, and is very well maintained with no pot holes, bumps or obstacles. It is very scenic, following a creek nearly the whole way. It's an old railroad bed, and it still has dozens of trestles that you ride over. Trust me you will love it.

Make a weekend of it, by riding the trail and then staying at the Martha Washington Inn in Abingdon. Very cool hotel, with lots of history and charm, but a little pricey (you only live once). Walk around town on the brick and cobblestone streets, take in a show at the Barter theater and go eat at one of the local pubs. It will be a weekend you remember for ever.

• Like 1
Guest TankerHC

Although I just moved here, I have been all over TN East to West and North to South the last 25 or so years and up here around Chattanooga and around East TN for the last 12, and all over the US Coast to Coast. In my humble opinions, short of the Colorado Rockies, there is only one place south of the Lower Shenandoah Watershed that I dont think anyone can say ca be matched by about anywhere else. Might sound dumb to people who have lived here all their lives, but Fall Creek Falls State Park is about as nice as it gets. Its one of the reasons I am here. Took my family up there a couple of weeks ago when they came down to visit from Gettysburg. Yes, my cousin is jelous, cause I only live 40 minutes away. All I can say is, if you live here, and havent been there, your missing out. Every time I go there I think to myself "Oh yea, now I remember why I want to live in TN".

Has the highest waterfall in the US east of the Mississippi River. Rock formations that are unbelievable. Places to swim everywhere. Hiking trails, and you CAN get above the falls by driving, the hike is easy really, over a couple of swinging bridges up some dirt trails. But you can drive above the Falls too. My mother is 79 and can hardly get around, I brought her up from Texas on vacation 2 years ago and she saw it from the drive up and decided she was going to walk down to the base of the falls. (Low as you can go at least). This woman could barely get across her house but wanted to see it so bad she did it. Took her a couple of hours with a lot of rest stops but she did it. Down and back up.

If I go there in the morning I try to get there at daybreak and find myself not leaving until its dark.  Here is a couple of videos. Not mine, others. And there are a few nice little shops outside and there is a Nature Museum Building. And the best part, no charge to get in and do everything.

http://youtu.be/tcxAsfZu8kw

http://youtu.be/VFJyrNpflFs

Edited by TankerHC