parking lot storage

Caught something on the news this morning about workers being allowed to keep handguns in a car at work. Thought it said you might have to show employers you have a permit at something similar - seems kind of odd and since I didn't catch the whole story I'm trying to look into it. Anyone have any more info?

Thanks.

I'm curious to find out if an employer against the new law will go person to person asking. Or would that be a privacy issue? I'll be more concerned about this law when I get out of this 4 year drought I've been in. 

Guest kj4gxu

It is legal to keep your weapon in your vehicle if you have a HCP, however your employer can still fire you for it if they find out that you have a weapon on company property against company policy.  As far as I know you are not required to notify anyone.

It is legal to keep your weapon in your vehicle if you have a HCP, however your employer can still fire you for it if they find out that you have a weapon on company property against company policy. As far as I know you are not required to notify anyone.

That's assuming the lot is not posted in accordance with 39-17-1359. If it is, then our new law applies. But according to the AG, it's chock full of caveats that could still make having it in the car past a proper sign a violation.

The firing thing is 100% correct. The new law changes nothing there.
Guest ab28

I'm curious to find out if an employer against the new law will go person to person asking. Or would that be a privacy issue? I'll be more concerned about this law when I get out of this 4 year drought I've been in. 

If my employer asked, I'd lie, in that case. Your means of self defense are your own business and concern.

Company policy is not as important as my life. I carried anyways at work, when the employer rules mentioned no firearms. I kept it hidden, didn't talk about it at work. Those rules are going to be small comfort if I needed my weapon.

Carrying a personal weapon is one of the few times when your rights supersede property rights, because your life is more important than property.

Edited by ab28
  • 3 weeks later...

I wonder who all these people are who tell all this stuff at work. I am sure people at work assumed that I had a gun in the car and that Dad has a gun in the car, but they can't prove or disprove without a search and they are SOL in that respect.

That's assuming the lot is not posted in accordance with 39-17-1359. If it is, then our new law applies. But according to the AG, it's chock full of caveats that could still make having it in the car past a proper sign a violation.

The firing thing is 100% correct. The new law changes nothing there.

The parking lot statute clearly mentions 39-17-1359 as being negated. Where is the AG opinion that says it isn't? Surely he can't be that stupid?

- OS

Thanks.

But as I said, if handgun is possessed under the terms of the statute, 39-17-1359 doesn't come into play.

I admit the devil is in the details of conforming to the statue though, the three points of the AG being:

- can still be fired for it

- has to be YOUR car

- gun can't be observed in any manner (including the example of video surveillance, which I see as quite the stretch as "ordinary observation")

But no doubt the bill sucks, that's for sure.

Best thing it does, if you dot i's an cross t's, is take away possibility of felony for having one on school property.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot