Open Carry video that actually ends well.

Guest Brutnus

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, he was very professional.  While not something I would do, I don't really have an issue with what those guys did.  They didn't break any law and weren't complete douchbags to the officer.  I tend to agree that the officer was trying to get them to willingly give more info and he should have, but just the same, they had every right not to give it.  

Again, not what I would do, but nice to see an officer know the law and not try to bully them into doing something they didn't have to.  

Didn't have time to watch the whole video, did they show the officers toys. His stuff sounded cool. He did a very good job. With all of these videos coming out, they should use this as a training video to avoid confrontations. As I understand with a HCP it is legal to carry a loaded long gun in TN without one in the chamber, but I don't think it would be very practical(even if you didn't incite a riot in a major city). I wanna go to the range with that officer. Edited by jtmaze

As I understand with a HCP it is legal to carry a loaded long gun in TN without one in the chamber, but I don't think it would be very practical(even if you didn't incite a riot in a major city)

My understanding is that it is legal, with an HCP, to have a loaded long gun in your vehicle without one in the chamber.  That doesn't seem all too impractical, to me.  I am not so sure that the law allows for carrying a loaded/unchambered long arm around in public, as in slung over the shoulder, etc.

Guest confidence

Didn't have time to watch the whole video, did they show the officers toys. His stuff sounded cool. He did a very good job. With all of these videos coming out, they should use this as a training video to avoid confrontations. As I understand with a HCP it is legal to carry a loaded long gun in TN without one in the chamber, but I don't think it would be very practical(even if you didn't incite a riot in a major city). I wanna go to the range with that officer.

My understanding is that it is legal, with an HCP, to have a loaded long gun in your vehicle without one in the chamber.  That doesn't seem all too impractical, to me.  I am not so sure that the law allows for carrying a loaded/unchambered long arm around in public, as in slung over the shoulder, etc.

No, you can't carry a long gun slung over your shoulder even if you have an HCP. Vehicle carry is okay with an HCP with it loaded but no round chambered. As to whether cops actually know the law? Don't count on it...

Guest Keal G Seo

Yeah I have seen this and while I like Markedgardian's (Warren) videos most of the time, as I fully support any form of open carry, I thought he missed an opportunity here however. How often is a cop cool with a stranger handling their full auto? I thought if he, Warren, had shared maybe he could have become friends with the cop and had the chance to go shoot it at some point as well.

Guest confidence

It is a relief to actually find a police officer that handles the situation very well and the citizens look like idiots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N30TagPCNE4

I'm kind of divided on this type of thing. These guys did not act rude or inflammatory to the cops like most of the videos you see with open carry. I'm glad that somebody is out there testing the boundaries of the law without actually crossing the line into being illegal. I think if I was single, I might do something like this if open carry of a long gun was legal in my state. As a husband and father, however, I would worry about some rogue cop throwing me in the slammer and then losing my job or whatever just for activism. The goal of this kind of activism, if done in the right manner would be:

• Condition the public (and the police) that firearms carried openly do not automatically = crime
  • Stake out and hold onto currently held legal territory - use it or lose it
  • Keep the police accountable for respecting rights. Not just firearm rights, but the right not to give ID if not suspected of a crime, etc.

I am not sure. Wouldn't do it anyway. Kinda like a buddy of mine keeps a mac11 semi in his truck cause he can but come on. Some of these videos get plumb stupid.

A Mac11 probably wouldn't be my choice for a truck gun but I can see wanting a rifle or shotgun handy.  Heck, around here, until just a few years ago, it was common for most pickup trucks to have a gun rack in the back window and a rifle, shotgun or both in the rack.

Guest confidence

It is a relief to actually find a police officer that handles the situation very well and the citizens look like idiots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N30TagPCNE4

As far as the policeman's behavior... Judging by modern standards and the current status quo of our culture, I would say that the policeman struck quite the good balance between checking out a potential threat and not violating citizens' rights. However, if you cut out the emotionality and flawed thinking regarding firearms in our culture for a moment, you start to remember that openly carrying a rifle strapped to the shoulder should not mean that you have criminal intent. In fact, some would view it that concealing a firearm would mean that you are more likely to have malicious intent because you plan to suddenly brandish and commit a crime.

What I would love to see is a climate where the police don't stop someone open carrying a rifle at all. Short of that, it would be nice if it at least went like this:

Officer: "Can I ask why you're carrying a rifle down the sidewalk, today?"

Citizen: "I'm just exercising my right to bear arms, sir."

Officer: "Ah....One of those guys. Okay, just promise me one thing..."

Citizen: "What's that?"

Officer: "If zombies attack while you are here open carrying....Head shots.....Ammo is gonna be issue, so don't waste any on center mass."

That would give the activist guys nothing to whine about and they would likely get bored of such videos. ;)

Guest confidence

jy7ybadu.jpg

sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

I'm assuming you are currently experiencing a self defense situation. Otherwise, there would be a rifle in the rack. Let us know if you need backup...

• Moderators

As far as the policeman's behavior... Judging by modern standards and the current status quo of our culture, I would say that the policeman struck quite the good balance between checking out a potential threat and not violating citizens' rights. However, if you cut out the emotionality and flawed thinking regarding firearms in our culture for a moment, you start to remember that openly carrying a rifle strapped to the shoulder should not mean that you have criminal intent. In fact, some would view it that concealing a firearm would mean that you are more likely to have malicious intent because you plan to suddenly brandish and commit a crime.

What I would love to see is a climate where the police don't stop someone open carrying a rifle at all. Short of that, it would be nice if it at least went like this:
]
Officer: "Can I ask why you're carrying a rifle down the sidewalk, today?"

Citizen: "I'm just exercising my right to bear arms, sir."

Officer: "Ah....One of those guys. Okay, just promise me one thing..."

Citizen: "What's that?"

Officer: "If zombies attack while you are here open carrying....Head shots.....Ammo is gonna be issue, so don't waste any on center mass."

That would give the activist guys nothing to whine about and they would likely get bored of such videos. ;)

There is a metric crap-ton of truth here.

The Police Officer was very professional, wish I know what state Albany (yea, I know there is an Albany, NY but doubt it was there) and send an email to the Chief commending the officer's actions.

I deplloyed to Iraq in 2003 and Kuwait in 2010, second deployment, we ran missions into Iraq.  Second deployment, we were provided new slings for our M-16's, it was a tactical sling where the weapon could be easily carried in the low ready. 

When I went through Military Police training back in the 90's, there was some discussion but not indepth that how a weapon is carried (openly) displays a posture.  There is a difference with a rifle is slinged over the back (like the person in the video)  and how I carried in Iraqi 2010 in the low ready. 

One day someone is going to make a wrong move and a bad thing will happen, my opinion is if you carry a firearm like we all do please carry it smart and conceal it - why would you want to carry a long gun in a middle of a downtown in a big city - you are just going to make your self a target and make everyone else nervous - others don't know you and don't know your intentions - it may be our constitutional right to do so but just be smart and put some logic to it, leave it in a car and carry your pistol or 2 pistols if you want and conceal it - others don't need to know who you are and what you have on you.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest The Itis

A nice compromise would be giving out free long gun socks, so if anyone has the compulsion to carry a long gun out in public, it could just be in a sock. They retail for under $5, so it would cost even less than that on large scale. It would be a halfway point for people to acclimate to seeing firearms and even the gun owner can't object to wanting to protect it while transporting.

Guest Keal G Seo

A nice compromise would be giving out free long gun socks, so if anyone has the compulsion to carry a long gun out in public, it could just be in a sock. They retail for under $5, so it would cost even less than that on large scale. It would be a halfway point for people to acclimate to seeing firearms and even the gun owner can't object to wanting to protect it while transporting.

Well there is a problem with this: It isn't open carry anymore. Me for instance in AL, I never had a HCP so I OCed everywhere I went. Never a long gun but in Warren's case here he is in a state where long gun open carry is legal...not just transporting it. I like his vids but am not sure if he has a CCW permit and if not and he put a sock on it then he would be breaking the law.