Full size pickup opine...Tundra, Titan, Ram, F-150, Silverado?

So, I currently drive a company supplied truck.  But now that Im in the replacement process they are really shorting me on what iI can get.  I have the option to purchase a truck and get paid mileage reimbursment.  After doing the math I feel that I can come out even with this option, so Im considering it. 

So, with that what full size trucks have yall had experience with.  I currently have a 2008 GMC Sierra with 240K miles on it.  It hasnt had any major repairs, just $200-$300 here and there.   Its been a great truck.  It does burn a lot of oil now though, so I know its coming up on a breaking point in its life. 

What I need,

• 4 wheel dive
  • good reiliablity, will occur 40-50K miles a year
  • comfortable (see above)

I have looked at Toyota Tundras, and if money wasn't an issue I would certainly buy one, but they are considerably higher priced than equal option in other brands.

Anyone have any opinions on the Nissan Titan?

How about newer model Dodge rams?  I am skeptical about their reiliablilty

F-150?

Stick with GM?

Stick with either A. the best selling truck for 30 something years. (they aren't there because of low price) B Go with another chevy or GMC. C is a dodge if you get the hemi. D. Toyota tundra E nissian titian.   Tundra does not have a boxed frame last time I checked which will give you this.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJZVUnOduH4  I know this is old but they have not changed enough for it to be out of date. Stick with the big three and you will be fine for a 1/2 ton. 3/4 or 1 ton go with chevy or ford.

You can pick up the Sierra and silverado cheap right now with the new models rolling out...

very ture, but for the math to work in my favor I have to minimize depriciation, so a slightly used 20-40K miles is probably what Im going for.

ford f250 with 6.7 with mine I get 25-27 miles per gallon lots of room 3/4 ton 4 door 4x4

ask 6.8 how it rides he drives it more than me

200,000 mile bumper to bumper warenty

the last one I traded in had 400,000 miles plus on it

Edited by dlm37015
  • Like 1

ford f250 with 6.7 with mine I get 25-27 miles per gallon lots of room 3/4 ton 4 door 4x4

ask 6.8 how it rides he drives it more than me

200,000 mile bumper to bumper warenty

the last one I traded in had 400,000 miles plus on it

sold, I'll give ya $25,000 for it :D

in all honesty thats exactly what I need, but Im not sure I can find on in my price range, I'll look though for sure

I have a 2011 Tundra 5.7 4x4 that I got in October of 2011 and it has been a sweet ride. No problems thus far but in all fairness, she only has 12k. I work at Toyota and there have only been like a couple of recalls, mostly pidly stuff like the C0M(window switch) and a couple of others. There was a air injection TSB that is ridiculous money but Toyota extended the mileage out to 60k or 60 months, whichever comes first but hey, at least I'm honest lol. I will say this, mine has about 10,500lbs tow capacity and will flat out stomp my dad's 09 Ford 5.4ltr.

Edited by whitewolf001
  • Like 1

I am on my second Titan and can say they ride and drive well. Can't speak for their longivity. I put 59000 on a 2006 then traded it for a 2012 in Feb. because I wanted a  crew cab. I use the Titan for my travel truck. I tried to wear out a '75 and a 79 dodge and couldn't, so can say they hold up. I have a 2001, 2500 Dodge 6 speed diesel with 60000 on it and runs perfectly. It's my farm truck now. If you can find a Nissan dealer with some 2012s left you can get a deal.    

Okay, when it came down to trucks I came down to two: F150 and a Titan. The tundra just came out a year or so earlier and was going for over 40k, back seats sucked (no room), Government Motors was out, Dodge was out unless it was a Diesel. I chose the Titan got a crackhead deal on it with 2k miles on it. If I could do it again, I would go with the F150, more aftermarket accessories and more parts inventory on the market.. And they have gotten better with each new release.. 

Though I do love my Titan, sucks in the city, but great on the highway.. 

A diesel would be your best bet. Better fuel mileage, better reliability, and better resale with higher mileage. That said I would look at ford or dodge. Both make a great hd truck. Look at the 3500 or f350 because they are usually only 2-3k more than the 3/4 ton and you get twice the loading capacity.

I had a dodge 3500 and ran 130k miles with no repairs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ford f250 with 6.7 with mine I get 25-27 miles per gallon

I have a very, very, hard time believing this. Are you doing the math David, or just looking at the computer on the dash?

My 4-banger Toyota doesn't do that well.

ford f250 with 6.7 with mine I get 25-27 miles per gallon

I have a very, very, hard time believing this. Are you doing the math David, or just looking at the computer on the dash?

I would agree with you if I hadn't done the same with my cummins I used to have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • Administrator

You've obviously never owned a Diesel.