12 Gauge Shotshells

Where is everyone finding the cheapest #7 1/2 - #9 shot shells? I am trying to decide if it's better to reload for shotgun or buy shells.  I know they have gotten ALOT more expensive since I last stocked up on #6 loads for Y2K,

This will be for 3Gun and maybe clays.

Not shopped for any lately, but the 100rd value pack at wally is hard to beat. 

Yep.  Right around $25 for 100 rounds.  If you are in the right place at the right time, you might even have your choice between Winchester or Federal.  I have read where more than one person said they liked the Federal better because Federal's shot cup does a better job of controlling spread for a longer distance but I haven't done a side by side comparison for myself.

A lot of the bulk packs I see are #8 shot but one Walmart location (Madisonville) had #8 in Federal and Winchester in addition to #7.5 in Federal (the boxes for both sizes of Federal looked pretty much the same.)  This was about a month ago, though.  I was looking more for general use (varmints, etc.) in addition to casual 'plinking' shells so I wanted at least #7.5 and I would have preferred slightly bigger shot than that.  If I were to come across bulk packs in something like #4, #5 or #6 then I'd be all over them.

Spiffy:  We used to buy trap loads by the case from Gamaliel Shooting Supply, Gamaliel, KY.  Web address here:  http://www.gamaliel.com/

They are good folks and have reasonable prices.  They have been in business for years. 

My take on the reloading of shotshells thing is this.  You have to use the same components ..... period....  You cant mix federal, ww, flochi, etc etc --- ya get the picture... hulls and buy whatever components are the cheapest; it never works. 

I've loaded WW trap loads (...12 gage, 2 3/4 dram... 1 1/8 oz shot, ...) loads literally by the thousands.  We had zero problems.  We used the same components (...WW Double A hulls, WW double a wads, 209 primers and Red Dot powder...).  We did all this on a humble MEC 600 jr.  If you are dead set on reloading shotgun hulls; i would sugguest that ya decide on the components and powder recipe ya like and stick with it. 

Havin said that, we found that if ya count the first cost of the hulls; loaded rounds from Gamaliel were just about as cheap as the ones we loaded on the 600 jr.  After the first cost of the hulls; the reloads got cheaper.  That wuz in the early eighties.  It's been a long time since then.

leroy

leroy

Second the notion of looking at Gamaliel - have ordered lots of components from them, and our club buys from them as well.  And dont forget to look for the Win and Remmie rewards programs each year.  The major hiccup to rolling your onw right now is the cost of shot.. New stuff is $40 or more for a 25lb bag. Buying in bulk is the key to cost-effecitve relaoding for shotgun. I load my own trap loads on a MEC 650, and even using the club discounts from Gamaliel, I am not very far under the breakeven point.  Our club reclaimed several tons of shot this year and is offering it to club members for $30/25 lb, and that has helped tremendously.

BTW - I use Rem Gun Club hulls, Nobel Sport primers, 18 gr of Red Dot, Downrange JXL wads and 1 oz of 7 1/2 shot.  The GC hulls will give you 8-10 reloads, The NS primers are at a very nice price point and give very little probs (I've had 1 dead one in the last 3 years).  I buy wads and primers in cases of 5K and Red Dot by 8 lb kegs (looking at going to Promo powder, actually, when I shoot up the last of a 24 lb order).  I bought 2000 GC hulls for .01 apiece from a guy in S Fl which will be several years worth.  And if you buy shot from Gamaliel, you get a bit of a shipping price break since they use USPS "If it fits it ships" for each order of 2 bags (50lbs).

• Like 1

I have several totes full of hulls.  I can still get Cowboy match shells for about $5 at Academy & Wally World so it's not worth my time to reload, although I can.  I just wait until they go on sale and then buy a case.  My shotgun belt always looks interesting, I alternate pink, red & green shells, depending on what I've got at the time.

Cherokee Slim

I have several totes full of hulls.  I can still get Cowboy match shells for about $5 at Academy & Wally World so it's not worth my time to reload, although I can.  I just wait until they go on sale and then buy a case.  My shotgun belt always looks interesting, I alternate pink, red & green shells, depending on what I've got at the time.

Cherokee Slim

Spiffy:  We used to buy trap loads by the case from Gamaliel Shooting Supply, Gamaliel, KY.  Web address here:  http://www.gamaliel.com/

They are good folks and have reasonable prices.  They have been in business for years. 

My take on the reloading of shotshells thing is this.  You have to use the same components ..... period....  You cant mix federal, ww, flochi, etc etc --- ya get the picture... hulls and buy whatever components are the cheapest; it never works. 

I've loaded WW trap loads (...12 gage, 2 3/4 dram... 1 1/8 oz shot, ...) loads literally by the thousands.  We had zero problems.  We used the same components (...WW Double A hulls, WW double a wads, 209 primers and Red Dot powder...).  We did all this on a humble MEC 600 jr.  If you are dead set on reloading shotgun hulls; i would sugguest that ya decide on the components and powder recipe ya like and stick with it. 

Havin said that, we found that if ya count the first cost of the hulls; loaded rounds from Gamaliel were just about as cheap as the ones we loaded on the 600 jr.  After the first cost of the hulls; the reloads got cheaper.  That wuz in the early eighties.  It's been a long time since then.

leroy

leroy

Cherokee Slim

You guys pretty much answered my questions. The more I read the more I see that lead shot will be about as much to load as it is to buy shells. On the bright side I can pratice with my #6 shot and use 7 1/2 and 8s at matches. 

IF you can find shot for less than $30 / 25#, then you can make a go of it.  I've loaded tens of thousands through the years to keep the family appetite in check for sporting clays.  If you can find Nobel, Rio, AA, Gun Club, or Rem STS around the $6 mark, then that is the way to go.  Shot shell reloading is a far cry from the days of reloading for $2 a box.  Don't see how anyone can make out with the component situation the way it is........let alone figure in the purchase of a good reloader, time, etc.