Pretty sure a guy that bought ammo this morning

I gave up making predictions a good while back. But I do believe this is temporary. The shortage that began in 2008 lasted a couple of years. That's including "evil" guns and parts. We're less than a year from the last election and Newtown, and EBRs are already back to reasonable prices. I believe ammo won't be far behind.

Again, I'm not making a prediction. Just saying what I think based in past experience.

I see you're from Knoxville, and I don't shop there, but around here several things have been in short supply since 2008.

I contacted a guy this morning on GOC that had some 22 LR for .20 each.I asked him how long he had to stand in line for it and he told me it was shipped UPS and then called me a dirty name . LMAO.So I hope he sells a lot of ammo acting like that.There are some REALLY GREAT people getting into the ammo business.
  • Like 1

I contacted a guy this morning on GOC that had some 22 LR for .20 each.I asked him how long he had to stand in line for it and he told me it was shipped UPS and then called me a dirty name . LMAO.So I hope he sells a lot of ammo acting like that.There are some REALLY GREAT people getting into the ammo business.

Somebody will pay it, that's the crazy part. Even crazier is the fact that if everyone just stopped paying stupid prices everything would go back to normal.
  • Like 2

Maybe I'm wrong but it sounds to me as if you contacted him for the primary purpose of getting a rise out of him; if so, how would you expect him or anyone to react?  If I post something for sale it's no one's business how much I paid for it. If they don't like my price then they should move on or inquire if I'm wiling to negotiate...anyone calls me just to accuse me of doing something underhanded would probably get a similar or worse response from me than this fellow gave you.

-----------

While I'm still on my soapbox (directed at no one in particular let me just say that all these threads about people "hording ammo" and  complaints about them "just buying it to resell it" are getting really ridiculous; remembrances of small children crying on long plane rides come to mind as an apt analogy.

If people want to buy ammunition at whatever price they want to pay what the hell is the problem? It's their money and they can spend it any damn way they please. If someone else doesn't want to pay the prices being asked then fine, DON'T BUY THE AMMO; wait for a better deal or whatever...dozens of threads and hundreds of posts complaining about it isn't going to change anything..

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Like 3

I see you're from Knoxville, and I don't shop there, but around here several things have been in short supply since 2008.

I'm sure that's the case. Fortunately, I stocked up on most of what I need before '08. I hand load all of my ammo except .22 lr and my carry ammo.

I do remember seeing AR lowers showing up at gun shows for 100 bucks or less sometime in 2010. I have several boxes of .22 that have a 2010 date on them (yes, I write the date I purchased it on the box. Don't judge me. ) from Walmart after it started showing back up on the shelves. That's what I'm basing my recollection on. If other shooting commodities were still in short supply, I've been fortunate enough to not be affected.

So that's accusing someone of something if you ask them how long they stood in line? Sorry I made somebody mad.

Sounded pretty accusatory to me; especially taking the rest of your post into consideration...if that wasn't your intent then you have a odd way of starting a conversation with someone you want to buy ammo from.  :shrug:

It seems everybody loves the free market until they get the short end.

What I find amusing about all this "free market" support for the few people who are choking off the supply and selling for 5 times the cost, is that many of these people supporting that are the same people I've seen chime in on threads about how evil Walmart is and how they refuse to shop there. Funny when you consider that they are providing some of the lowest prices on .22, but they are still evil, but the ahol that cleans out all the .22 at my store and resells it for 5 times the cost is a hero of the free market.
  • Like 1

It seems everybody loves the free market until they get the short end.

who are you referring to? i've got over 30k rounds of various calibers so i know you're not making an ASSumption about me.

Are you ASSuming he was directing his comment towards you?
Edited by TripleDigitRide
  • Like 1

Just for the record, I happen to hate Walmart but it has zero to do with their ammunition.

I've had to deal with them on a professional level on behalf of some of the companies they've screwed over with their business practices - since that time I swore I would never buy another thing from them again.

I also won't go to a Walmart because of the danger!

For every three incidences I read about somebody getting shot or mugged or carjacked one of the three has happened either inside a Walmart or in their parking lot; I'm not going to put my life in danger to save three cents on a pound of ribeye.  ;)

• Like 1

With approximately 80,000,000 gun owners in the U.S. with approximately 270,000,000 guns (3.3 or so guns each, on the average), with say, 1000 to 5000 rounds per each weapon, would be 270 TRILLION to 1.35 QUADRILLION rounds. Check my math, I think I've got the zeroes in the right place.

A thousand rounds per weapon isn't really all that much, maybe an ammo can of loose .223, weighing less than 30 pounds. A thousand rounds of .22 is less than eight pounds.

Five thousand rounds a weapon is considerable, but there are folks who have a lot more than that, and 5,000 rounds of .22 is less than 40 pounds. Five thousand rounds of .223 would be less than 150 pounds.

However, times 270 million guns is a lot of production, and certainly enough to dry up manufacturing output in a year.

However, what does that say about an armed citizenry? There is NO WAY the government could stockpile that much ammunition, or win a conflict against that many weapons, even if only ten percent were employed.

• Like 1

who are you referring to? i've got over 30k rounds of various calibers so i know you're not making an ASSumption about me.

Overly defensive much? You ASSume too much, I was just making a point - there are tons of folks posting in this thread castigating those who are part of the free market simply because it doesn't benefit them.

I have more ammo that I will ever use under any possible circumstance and I'm not selling. I just find the moaning from the (generally) 'free market' crowd amusing. 

Don't let me get in the way, y'all continue to bash the free market enterprisers whilst you promote pure-free-market capitalism in other threads.

Carry on...

• Like 1

Overly defensive much? You ASSume too much, I was just making a point - there are tons of folks posting in this thread castigating those who are part of the free market simply because it doesn't benefit them.

I have more ammo that I will ever use under any possible circumstance and I'm not selling. I just find the moaning from the (generally) 'free market' crowd amusing.

Don't let me get in the way, y'all continue to bash the free market enterprisers whilst you promote pure-free-market capitalism in other threads.

Carry on...

Well that's just silly to call this "moaning". People bitch about overpriced businesses all the time. There are a few gun shops I see folks post about here frequently who complain about over pricing for various things. The difference here is that there are a few people controlling the stock for the many. The same as if a gun shop moved into an area with no competition and jacked their prices sky high. Sure, that's their right to do and there are people out there dumb enough to patronize them, but it won't stop people like me from calling them out and directing people to a cheaper alternative and boycott those businesses.

Just as it is their right to price how they want, it's my right to call them POS's with no ethical standards. Capitalism goes both ways. You can sell your AR for $3,000 during a panic, but I'll remember that and remind people of that down the road when things get back to normal. Goes both ways.
  • Like 1

Carry on...

I find these threads somewhat tiresome (albeit a bit amusing) but yes, I've noticed that some will extol the virtues of the free market at other times but then complain when it impacts them negatively. There is always a little bit of pain for someone when market conditions change; some win and some lose but it's usually those who don't panic and have some patience who are the least affected.

I want ammunition prices to come down as much as anyone; I'd also like to see $1.89/gallon for gasoline but I suspect $5 is the more likely future; perhaps even $10/$20/$30 per gallon (when gasoline can be found) when considering the current dictator-want-a-be that's in office and the very real possibility of Egypt decaying into total anarchy but back to the topic at hand...

The free market takes care of itself almost 100% of the time; when it doesn't it's usually because of the government stepping in to "help"...I'm sorry if some folks don't have enough (or as much as they want) ammunition right now or can't afford to buy at the prices it's being offered for but I don't see how constantly complaining about it is going to help much. Moreover, like gasoline, we may never again see ammunition prices return to the levels they were a year or two ago and we may just have to learn to live with that.

Edited by RobertNashville

Where the free market is failing here is that logically, the ammo producers and the retailers should be upping their prices to ensure that ammo can be bought by those who use it. Unfortunately, this would result in much screaming and crying by those who don't understand the free market about being gouged so they keep the prices at or close to regular prices "for our loyal customers" and so the scalpers come in, buy it up and exploit the opportunity and exacerbate and prolong the problem.

Where the free market is failing here is that logically, the ammo producers and the retailers should be upping their prices to ensure that ammo can be bought by those who use it. Unfortunately, this would result in much screaming and crying by those who don't understand the free market about being gouged so they keep the prices at or close to regular prices "for our loyal customers" and so the scalpers come in, buy it up and exploit the opportunity and exacerbate and prolong the problem.

:stunned:  Just how would upping there prices ensure that it would be bought by those that use it? :shrug:

Also you want the producers and the retailers to become the gougers so the scalpers can't? :screwy:

Edited by crossfire
  • Administrator

Is now flipping it on armslist for $100 profit. I know this happens all the time but this time I was in line with this guy and know how/where he got it b/c this ammo has been sold out forever. Hmmmm...what do I want to do with this situation. Part of me says nothing, part of me says something.

Part of you also said, "Start a thread on the Internet about it!".  That part should have gone along with the part of you who decided to say nothing.  This thread is pointless.

Closing it.

• Like 1