Great War Movies

kieefer

Generation Kill has to be my favorite, although it's a mini-series, not a movie. They almost hit the nail on the head with that one. Painting war as anything but glamorous and focusing on much of the BS that goes with being in that environment.

Hollywood has acted like they want to make an effort with movies like The Hurt Locker, but they make it so stupid, unrealistic and dramatic that no one with two days in the military would classify it as being accurate or even mildly entertaining. Generation Kill really focused on the people of the story from their perspective, rather than focusing on exploits and drama.
  • Like 1

These are my favorites:

-Midway

-Great Escape

-Guns of Navarone

-Patton

-Escape from Navarone

-Saving private Ryan

-Battle of the Buldge

-The Longest Day

-Dirty Dozen

-Pearl Harbor

-Sands of Iwo Jima

-The Bridge on the River Kwai

-Black Hawk Down

• Like 3
Guest TankerHC
Bedt VN war movie i have seen came out in the 80s i believe, little known movie made by two brothers who had been in the adult film industry and as i recall one was a vietnam vet. Not a lot changed in tactics, especially defense between the 60s and 80s, its a movie any soldier can watch and know another soldier wrote it. Cant recall all the details but the movie is Platoon Leader.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

When Trumpets Fade....a good one about the three-month long Battle of the Hurtgen Forest just prior to the Bulge.  It was the longest single battle the U.S. Army ever fought, and cost a tremendous number of G.I. lives.

Unable to identify the weapons used but it's a good flick worth viewing.  :up:

Hook up with imfdb.org--it's the Wikipedia for movie guns.  http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title=Category:Movie

Edited by gun sane

When Trumpets Fade....a good one about the three-month long Battle of the Hurtgen Forest just prior to the Bulge.  It was the longest single battle the U.S. Army ever fought, and cost a tremendous number of G.I. lives.

Hook up with imfdb.org--it's the Wikipedia for movie guns.  http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title=Category:Movie

That was my first stop, apparently it's too new for a list of weapons used.

There are many great older movies but you don't see many new ones coming out. Guess the market dictates this, same goes for Sci-Fi  :shrug:  Prometheus and Cloud Atlas were pretty good with C-Atlas having a bit of war theme into it.

How about War Horse?

Saving Private Ryan is the best war movie I have seen. It is probably not the top of many lists because it is very tough to watch for many.

It's set the tone for all other war movies to follow. The last part is what got me balling. The grave scene.. One day I will make it over and pay my respects.. 

Movies to add:

Letters from Iwo Jima

Flags of our Fathers (yes it does have it's parts that suck)

We Were Soldiers 

Phantom - trip me up at the end, I thought they got rescued.. 

Too many movies to lists.. 

Guest Lester Weevils

I don't know enough about war to have any taste in the matter, but Midway and Tora! Tora! Tora! were memorable. Patton was purty good.

Every time have seen Robert Mitchum in a film I liked it. People don't seem to look like that any more, but he was the spitting image of one of my uncles. Maybe the films would stink if I saw them again, but there were two mini-series with Mitchum that I recall being purt watchable, "The Winds of War" and "War and Remembrance". Mitchum was in the cast of Tora as well.

Act of valor was good.

I loved Defiance. Daniel Craig leads a group of Jews to survive WWII. One of my favorites.
Inglorious Bastards is pretty good too although parts are rather boring. What's funnier than a bunch of Hebrew Children slaughtering filthy Nazis? Ha! Great!

Gotta throw Enemy at the Gates in there too.
  • Like 3