The appeal of 1911s

fizik

Why are so many here and everywhere infatuated or in love with 1911s? Is it the awesome performance and popularity of the gun in the US? Is it the customization available? Is it just preference? I'll happily admit there are beautiful and functional ones to be had, and that they are damn fine mechanically and battle proven. I wonder though if this is all warranted. And I'll also say I've never even shot a true 1911, just some copies with varying functionality, so maybe this is unwarranted. They seem so pervasive that I should have one in my collection. So here's my question: Do you love 1911s, and why or why not?

Edited by fizik
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup...I love 1911's and have a couple...but I don't carry them. I carry what's PRACTICAL for me. 1911's point great for me, are beautiful, and the straight pull on the trigger is very nice. That being said...Id rather carry the ugly combat tupperware with more rounds...but to him his own....and yes...you do need one in your collection. Its a disease though, and you'll wind up with another.

Ditto. Copies just dont cut it. The only copy i've found worth anyones while is the Taurus 1911.

They function, their accurate as hell, their thin... did i mention their just plain sexy?

I carry my 1911 almost every day weather permitting. Its very light and comfortable. If its too hot for it and the leather holster i switch to one of my others pistols.

My Kimber 1911 is the most accurate pistol I have ever shot. But the appeal is (in my opinion) that it is all metal, that it is precisely machined, that it has some "heft" in your hand, and that it's beautiful to the eye. And that it has nearly 100 years of history behind it. Having said all that, it's not the gun I choose to carry.

kimber01.jpg

kimber02.jpg

Guest m4coyote

I have owned several good 1911s, and have always lost interest, and sold them. The last 1911 I had was a stainless Colt XSE model, and the one before it was a 1945 Civilian National Match pistol. Yes, both were very accurate (ammo dependent), functioned well (also depended on the ammo), and were thin, but they were also low capacity, were comparatively heavy, and were more difficult to disassemble & reassemble ( especially the XSE).

My Glocks, H&Ks, and other plastic fantastics do the same job, are lighter, have higher ammo capacity, and disassemble & reassemble much more easily. A seven or eight round capacity may not seem like a handicap, but I just prefer a lighter pistol that holds between twelve and seventeen rounds.

I think a lot of the appeal is nostalgia. I've found that modern "like" 1911s are generally better shooters than the originals. I know where there is a 1943 Remington Rand military 1911 for sale. Asking price is $1200. I had one just like it at one time. My Rock Island shoots better.

But I've never had a desire to carry one. It was a revolutionary design in 1908, but there are much better designs available these days.

A good 1911 can provide the shooter one of the best shooting experiences possible.

A bad 1911 can frustrate the shooter to the point of throwing the gun in the closest trash can.

The key is finding/buying/building a good one. Anyone can put a 1911 together, but not all can build one that runs right.

They are all the rage now, but if another AWB comes all we'll hear about are poly guns with mega magazines.

That being said, the 1911 design has stood the test of close to 100 years and millions of copies.

I shoot my 1911s better than my XDs or Glocks

My 1911s are more comfortable to carry than a wider Glock or XD

It just points and feels right for me.

Round count doesn't really enter into it for me. I've got 9 ready to go, and 16 more available. If THAT doesn't take care of the problem...I should have brought my AR :-)

Last but not least...I can pistol whip someone much more effectively with a steel 1911 than with a Glock

They are all the rage now, but if another AWB comes all we'll hear about are poly guns with mega magazines.

I'm still not understanding why my 1911 with a whole 7 round magazine cap has a big ole' white sticker on the back of the box that says "not legal in California." :rock:

I have been infactuated with them since I was 6 years old, to me they are the only true battle tested american designed and built semi automatic pistol out there, they can be customized several ways to look so different, and when you get one that is built right, there is no better shooting experience, I carry and trust my life to mine, but to each their own, :rock:

Guest janwbrown616

The 1911 is such a simple, straightforward design you know why its lasted so long. If you know what you're doing you can take a frame and build your own.

You can make it as accurate as you can afford and it's kinda like John Wayne, "AMERICAN".

I carried one "Cocked and Locked" on duty for several years. I always knew that it would work, hit hard and be there when I needed it.

There was a shooting one time when a local pimp was shot with a 45. He was being hauled out on a stretcher and was asked what happend? He stated, "Man!, a nine is fine, but, a 45 stops all jive"..

Low capacity in a shooting situation is the only drawback. Went to the Glock 40, never looked back....

I don't own a 1911 now, wish I could find a Combat Commander frame, I'd build my own, again.

I'm still not understanding why my 1911 with a whole 7 round magazine cap has a big ole' white sticker on the back of the box that says "not legal in California." :)

Whether a gun is "CA Legal" or not has nothing to do with magazine capacity.

In order for a gun to receive the Kalifornia seal of approval, a manufacturer must submit 3 examples of the gun they wish to sell to CA DOJ.

The manufacturer does not get these samples back.

As you can imagine, this gets very expensive, which means most makers of expensive guns do not offer their entire catalog for sale in CA.

Mars says

I know where there is a 1943 Remington Rand military 1911 for sale.

i think I have handled and shot that gun. Its pretty darn nice.

I much prefer a GI model. I do not care for the fancy sights and beavertails, rails etc.. A scratch or two and some wear marks make it better. I could never see owning a high dollar 1911, i would be afraid of damaging the finish. I also think the 1911 in GI form is true to history, is truly a tool and a thing of beauty.

The orginal draw for me is that it is a weapon that helped whip the crap out of the Axis during the big one.

There was a shooting one time when a local pimp was shot with a 45. He was being hauled out on a stretcher and was asked what happend? He stated, "Man!, a nine is fine, but, a 45 stops all jive".

Lol, that's sig worthy right there.

Okay, so it's partly history, partly form, partly function, and maybe trend. So, looking at longer term interest, is a nice 1911 worth buying? Or should I look at less expensive but quality ones first, like the Taurus or maybe RIA? It's not right at the top of my list, but it's moving up toward number two, after the AR. I think I'll stop by Friedman's on my way into town in a bit, and check out what they have.

Buying a nice 1911 is like buying a restored/rodded classic American muscle-car... depending on who put it together it'll spank the ever-living-**** out of your neighbor's European coupe, and even if it doesn't, it'll look and sound a whole lot better doing it... maybe it's not as user-friendly around town, but all faults disappear when you press the gas/trigger.

Yeah... you're not going to find a nice 1911 at Friedman's.

If you want to drool over some look at Guns and Leather or Hero Gear. I think Bass Pro may even have some.

I'm a convert as well. I got the opportunity to shoot my grandfather's a few years ago.... after that i really wanted one.

Guest grimel

If you buy one built to JMB's specs with modern sights, a beavertail safety, and ambi safety there is NOTHING that shoots faster or straighter. If you can handle it, the Para P13 (again brought to spec by a GOOD 'smith) is shorter than a Glock23/XD45, the same length, and shoots 14 45's.

The 1911 is just about the worst possible design for police work. This is due to the short sweet trigger that makes it so good for combat pretty much sucks royally for threat management.

OK, I went to Friedmans while I was around Vanderbilt. And you're right sling, they don't have much in the way of 1911s. I got to fondle a Taurus PT1911 and something made by Metro-something-or-other with 'Firestorm' on the slide. The guy said it was "just like a Springfield GI but $150 cheaper," although I highly doubt that. The Taurus felt nice in my hands, it had some weight to it, some balance, and a nice feel, for lack of better description. Is it the best of the best? NO, but for what it is I understand it is a decent gun. I love the feel of the beavertail, and the safety had a nice solid feeling to it, I don't think it would be bumped off too easily. I'm not sure how I feel about the grip safety in general, as it would prohibit shooting from abnormal positions. I also think new grips would be nice, something with finger grooves. But I'm still kind of unsure why the design is so popular. It's good, but so are tons of other guns. And now I'm looking at something else to feed the gun habit lol.

Guest sermon8r
A good 1911 can provide the shooter one of the best shooting experiences possible.

A bad 1911 can frustrate the shooter to the point of throwing the gun in the closest trash can.

The key is finding/buying/building a good one. Anyone can put a 1911 together, but not all can build one that runs right.

Junk is still junk even if its spelled junque