SW BodyGuard 380?

Peace

I am accustomed to carrying a G23, but with my build (5'11" 170lbs), I can't conceal anything (comp-tac IWB - love it, but I can't bend down and kiss my kids without it printing.

I love the G27, but it won't be any better when my huggy friends and famy say hello. In my job, printing is not an option.

anyway, I love the way the s&w BG feels.. more so than the LCP.

thoughts?
Guest Skyline034
It's a good little pistol and very accurate for its size. I bought one for my wife last year and she has put 600 rounds through it with no issues. My only complaint is that the trigger is horrible and takes some practice.

I can't understand why the S&W 380 has such a horrid trigger.  First time I fired one was when one of my vet techs offered hers to me to shoot, she was so proud of her new carry gun.  I actually had to hide my disgust with the thing.  Such a nice sized pistol with an almost unusable trigger. Fortunately Galloway Precision has a solution.   http://gallowayprecision.com/smith-and-wesson/bodyguard-380-performance/

I am accustomed to carrying a G23, but with my build (5'11" 170lbs), I can't conceal anything (comp-tac IWB - love it, but I can't bend down and kiss my kids without it printing.

I love the G27, but it won't be any better when my huggy friends and famy say hello. In my job, printing is not an option.

anyway, I love the way the s&w BG feels.. more so than the LCP.

thoughts?

I haven't fired the SW BodyGuard 380, but like both the G27 and LCP.  At times when the G27 is too large to conceal, the LCP does a good job.

I also own both the LCP and the BG. I really like the LCP.  I wish it had better sights, but for the purpose that it was made, they are sufficient. I've never had a problem with the LCP, but I have had some light strikes with the BG and the laser activation is problematic. However, I do like the way the BG fits in my hands and the sights are much better than the LCP. Also since it is DAO, you have second strike capability by just pulling the trigger again if a light strike does occur.  I just had a stronger spring put in to see if that solves my light strike problem. I may have to look into the trigger kit that graycrait mentioned above if the new spring increases the trigger pull weight too much.

Guest Emtdaddy1980
Take a look at the TCP, I carry mine everyday and can conceal it in anything from shorts to a suit. The trigger is long like any DAO, but is only about 4.5 lbs from the factory and in my experience smooth as butter. It walks all over my buddies LCP and P3AT in the accuracy Dept. Sub 3 inch groups at 10 yards .
Guest The Itis

When I was still considering a 380, I decided the TCP was the best option.

Also, at 380 pocket gun distances, you should be able to point and shoot at anything without a laser or even using the sights.

I like my TCP and it fills a specific role. I did have to send it back to Taurus a few times, but after its last visit it has been nothing but reliable. I would have no problems recommending it to someone, but would caution they put a lot of rounds through it before they started carrying it.

I wasn't aware the BG locked back after the last shot? Which was another reason I went with the TCP.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Picked up a BG380 today at NA. Shot it. Love it. Satisfied. Laser not needed. It point shoots beautifully. Trigger is DAO, long, and feels just right. Center-of-mass, rapid fire at 3-5 yards was not just a breeze; it was a joy. This trigger (for me) has no tendency to short stroke. In contrast, I had some trouble NOT short stroking the LCP trigger. If anything changes, I'll let you all know, but for now, this seems to be one great little last-resort life-saver.** **. I know, I know .380. Here's hoping it never, ever gets put to the test. Edited by Peace
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Picked up a BG380 today at NA. Shot it. Love it. Satisfied. Laser not needed. It point shoots beautifully. Trigger is DAO, long, and feels just right. Center-of-mass, rapid fire at 3-5 yards was not just a breeze; it was a joy. This trigger (for me) has no tendency to short stroke. In contrast, I had some trouble NOT short stroking the LCP trigger. If anything changes, I'll let you all know, but for now, this seems to be one great little last-resort life-saver.** **. I know, I know .380. Here's hoping it never, ever gets put to the test.

Had mine for about 3 months now.  Agree with ya 100%. Nice little gun for what it is.

I have a BG. It has been back to the factory twice and has been repaired. I just don't trust it. The trigger is bad and the laser is useless unless you are at the range. I now carry a sig 938. It is a little larger but much more reliable and is 9mm.

I'm sorry for the trouble. You are certainly not alone. And that laser... Well... neat little training aid.... That is, if any of us felt secure dry firing it.... Which I don't. :)

I bought with disregard for the laser. At .380 distances, there will be no time, and therefore there is no need.

Hmmm.....Sounds a lot like the Nano to me. Takes a week and several of those "Are we there yet?" to pull the trig into a fire position.

I picked up a Pink Nano for the ole lady,the gun is built to last (u see how thick that barrel is) but the trigger

was very far back...Im sure some company will come out with a mod for it but the Nano is very impressive IMO

I carried a borrowed BG for a few days but I didn't get to shoot it.  My normal carry gun is a G23 or 27, the BG was much more concealable than either, I'm a small framed guy as well.  Usually concealment is a non issue for me (as in I don't care if it's concealed or not.)  I thought the BG would do very well in a "need to conceal well" situation.  The trigger may not be great but it's a "get off me gun" not a competition 1911.  Would really like to see S&W come out with a non laser model.  I found the laser a little difficult to operate quickly.  In a defensive situation I would probably not use it, I would be more concerned with eliminating the threat than pushing the button just the right way to get the laser turned on.

Agreed 10-Ring.

Really, my only gripe with the BG is the firing pin scandal... or so to speak.  I have read about lots and lots of folks having firing pin issues.  S&W may have fixed the issue, but because they never owned up to it publicly, we, the consumers just don't know.  

Hopefully Galloway Precision has come up with a solution that doesn't expose another weak link.

If you want a nice 380 I would recommend a SIG p238 or for a pocket 9mm a p938. Both are excellent guns have good triggers and easy to conceal. You may want to get a 7 round mag with extension on either for better control. To me the body guard has a terrible trigger and the laser is a waste for that size gun.