Geico Auto Insurance?

I had insurance with Geico for 15 plus years.  They are a good company, but they are expensive.  When I bought my house, I switched to Travelers.  I got homeowners and car insurance for just a little bit more than what I was paying for car insurance through Geico.

That's very unusual. Geico is typically cheaper than most companies.

• Moderators

Check out USAA, they are now taking non military folks.  Been with them since 1989.

I tried to, but I don't think that their insurance is for non military folks. My Father was USMC, but he is not and has never been a member of USAA. He isn't really the type to switch insurance to save a few bucks either. I may mention it to him.

Unless you have reason to believe I can somehow get it (I tried, but it said I was not eligible).

When my daughter bought a new car we aggressively shopped for insurance. She got a much better bang for the buck with Allstate.

Allstate screwed me over badly about two years ago.

After nearly 40 years as a auto customer, and ~20 years as a home customer, they rezoned my fire protection zoning (I was 0.25 miles over their new limit) they, without warning (and no home claims in 10 years), dumped me to a subsidiary, and doubled my premium.  I and my extended family told them to eff off, and found new carriers.

Allstate can rot.

B.

Edited by R_Bert

I tried to, but I don't think that their insurance is for non military folks. My Father was USMC, but he is not and has never been a member of USAA. He isn't really the type to switch insurance to save a few bucks either. I may mention it to him.

Unless you have reason to believe I can somehow get it (I tried, but it said I was not eligible).

I'm a USAA member since 91, I have 2 vehicles that cause quoting problems with everyone mention, when I've tried quoting an average car usaa always beats them, always...

BTW I'm not military, just have military toys.

• Moderators

I'm a USAA member since 91, I have 2 vehicles that cause quoting problems with everyone mention, when I've tried quoting an average car usaa always beats them, always...

BTW I'm not military, just have military toys.

How do you get them if you are not military or do not have a family member that makes you eligible?

I learned my lesson a few years ago with those primarily internet based companies.  Progressive, geico etc are all the same.

If you like nationwide, why not call them and ask if they can do any better?  A lot of times people can actually get better rates from their current insurance because of personal credit changes, age or whatever.  Learned that from Dave Ramsey - cause the insurance companies are not going to volunteer info that makes them less money.

Would personally rather pay more for a company that when I have a problem, I can drive down to their office and handle the issue face to face...  They seem to be more willing to take care of you if you're a person and not number ABC123 that comes up on their screen in the Hoboken, BFE.

Geico has been long rumored to be an anti gun company.  A quick Bing search (I don't use the anti gun Google) did not produce any conclusive evidence to this, but I did find this blub which I would deem accurate.

http://www.armedlutheran.us/anti-gunners/anti-gun-companies/

I took out a renters insurance policy with Geico two years ago and specifically asked about firearm coverage. Not only was the guy very helpful but he and I talked about guns for a long time.

Didn't appear to be anti gun to me.  :up:

Guest Riciticky

I am no expert but I heard on talk radio that allstate is the worst when the time comes for them to pay. I use State Farm and they have always paid. It might not be a good idea to go with the cheapest. It is not cheap , it is expensive, if they leave you hanging when you need them. JMO.

Guest 6.8 AR

The measure of value for your insurance should also include what can or will happen if you have an accident that is your fault.

Some will drop you like a fly, others not necessarily. I'm not so sure I would go with anyone like Progressive or Geico or several

others only because of what people in the insurance industry have said. But, I won't make a recommendation either. The only

claims I have ever had were for accidents that weren't my fault, and there are several companies I would run from with even that.

They all make fancy advertizing for TV, but do your own diligence.

Find an independent agent that handles several companies. Personally I have been with Cincinnati insurance for 15+ years now and, last time I checked, am about $500 a year cheaper than Allstate, geico, and progressive. I also get better coverage. I have had 4 or 5 claims in that time. Each time I chose the repair center and was assured they used oem parts (also verified this). Now with that said they are selective and will not insure just anybody.

Being in Tennessee now I use Cornerstone here in Chattanooga as my agent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The absolute BEST insurance is USAA (if you qualify). Cheap insurance is not good insurance. Good insurance is that which will PAY when presented with a claim. USAA pays. Farm Bureau pays. Many other insurance companies deny, delay or deminish claims. 

Edited by James in Franklin
  • Moderators

Well, Nationwide countered and is offering a premium of $92.92 a month from ~$105. It is still a bit more than the $80 from Geico, but they did make an attempt. Also, to get the $80 from Geico the policy must be paid in full for 6 months. If not, they add a $5 amount to each monthly payment.

Thinking of Sticking with Nationwide because it's the easy thing to do, but still have a bit to change my mind.

My wife and I have had Geico for years.  They really have earned our loyalty, which is a strange thing to say about an insurance company. 

A few years ago my wife hit a deer in the middle of a Sunday night in Kentucky.  She was in the middle of nowhere, alone, and the car had pieces hanging off of it like the front bumper cover, wheel well liner, rear view mirror, and a dent that shoved the fender too close to the tire.  The cop that came basically took down the report and left, being of no help at all.  Geico gave her permission to further damage the car by removing the hanging bits and beating the fender away from the tire with a hammer so she could get going again.  She drove to a truck stop and duck taped more hanging bits to the car body.  When she got home they fixed all the damage with no issues at all.