Nashville Dining?

Lumber_Jack

What kind of food do you go for? For instance, if you hate "Taste of Thai" (which is a horror of a thought), then we'll leave out Thai places. Off the top of my head. The Pharmacy is an open-air beer garden if beverage and brats are your thing. - East Nashville. If you go, head over to Jenni's Ice Cream after and stand in line for a real treat. Mafioza's Pizza on 12th. I second Maggiano's - and The Italian Market (46th st exit off of I40w) may or may not taste as good, but it is the real deal - family-owned with bocce ball courts out front. Local Taco on Murphy Road [url="http://www.thelocaltaco.com/"] -by McCabe pub and golf course Breakfast: (Near Vandy) -Noshville Deli - Kosher, NY Delicatessen without the whole "being in New York" thing. -Fido's in Hillsboro Village. Awesome breakfast burritos and darn good coffee (Bongo Java- local roast). Oh, and this is a bit of a hipster joint.... more like Tomato Head than DoubleDogs. :) Lunch: -Gabby's Burgers and Fries. If you like burgers, GO!!! Lunch only except for Friday, grass fed beef and the line is out the door on most days for good reason. -Baja Burrito, Berry Hill/100 Oaks. If you like Blue Coast Burrito, this is the mother ship, the original that started it all, FYI: the best staff is on for lunches. -my wife used to eat at a wraps place right across 21st from the main hospital, she loved it.. Don't know if they are still there, but it would be good for a quick bite while at Vandy. (Mellow mushroom, subway, and Starbucks are also right across 21st) Lunch/Dinner: Local Taco - Murphy Road, also right across from McCabe Pub - good grub. As for Thai, you can venture down to cool springs and go to Jasmine. Possibly the best in town. If you like Greek food, Kalamatas in Green hills is pretty good and quick, but if you venture down 65 to Brentwood and find Mediterranean Cuisine in Maryland Farms - we think it is the best Mediterranean food in town. Good guys - We've been ordering from the same guy at the cash register for 10 yrs. Zoe's Kitchen in green hills, kabobs, etc. fast and healthy, no server to tip. For shakes and cheap burgers, etc. try Rotier's off of Elliston (near where it hits broadway/west end). BBQ: While you are in Brentwood, hit up Judge Beans BBQ for a second dinner. Simple, small, awesome. My wife swear's Jack' BBQ downtown is the best in town. Enjoy. You can probably PM any of us Nashville folks if you all need anything while you are here. Edited by Peace

What do you like? Or better, what do you not like? then we'll recommend other stuff. So if you hate "Taste of Thai" (which is a horror of a thought), then we'll leave out Thai places.Off the top of my head. The Pharmacy is an open-air beer garden if beverage and brats are your thing.Mafioza's Pizza on 12thI second Maggiano's - and The Italian Market (46th st exit off of I40w) may or may not taste as good, but it is the real deal - family-owned with bocce ball courts out front.Local Taco on Murphy Road http://www.thelocaltaco.com/

Well those all sound good. It's not what I like but what SHE likes. And no she's not a fan of anything spicy or of Asian origin (with a few exceptions)

Otherwise Italian, American, Mexican, anything that just stands out.

I had a really nice meal some years ago at a Place called the Mad Platter.

Their Yelp rating is still pretty good. Kind of place that might appeal to a woman.

Love the Mad Platter.

Flemings beats Ruth Chris for me. Stony River is a good step down.

Hattie B's for some hot chicken.

South Street is a decent place

Whiskey Kitchen is uppity ultra cool.
Guest ThePunisher
Not very far down Murphy Rd. off West End is McCabes Pub. Very good. Try the Hersey Syrup cake with ice cream for desert. Edited by ThePunisher

McDougal's Chicken Tenders off Belcourt, is good as well if your staying close to the hospital, it's posted but most of the decent restaurants within walking distance of campus are.

San Antonio Taco Company (SATCO) is pretty good texmex while school is in session(falls off a bit around breaks)(21st Ave a block or two north of VUMC)

Cori's Dog House has good dogs if your into that, interesting french toast buns that are are either loved or hated. (26th? ave off West End)

Ted's Montana Grill is pretty good for a dinner as is Blackstone Brewery both off West End.

Pancake Pantry is good for a late breakfast if you can catch it around lunchtime during the week when there is no real line, but otherwise I wouldn't stand in the line for it. (South of VUMC off 21st Ave)

• Like 1

McDougal's Chicken Tenders off Belcourt, is good as well if your staying close to the hospital, it's posted but most of the decent restaurants within walking distance of campus are.

San Antonio Taco Company (SATCO) is pretty good texmex while school is in session(falls off a bit around breaks)(21st Ave a block or two north of VUMC)

Cori's Dog House has good dogs if your into that, interesting french toast buns that are are either loved or hated. (26th? ave off West End)

Ted's Montana Grill is pretty good for a dinner as is Blackstone Brewery both off West End.

Pancake Pantry is good for a late breakfast if you can catch it around lunchtime during the week when there is no real line, but otherwise I wouldn't stand in the line for it. (South of VUMC off 21st Ave)

Cori's is on 29th behind the liquor store at the corner of 29th and West End.  Ted's is straight across the street from the liquor store.

Batter'd and Fried in East Nashville is good fish-n-chips and sushi all in one.  The Pharmacy is good I hear, but can't speak for it personally.  

For breakfast I usually suggest staying away from Pancake Pantry.  It's good, but not worth the wait in my opinion.  Plus Cafe Coco (assuming you can stand the hipsters and weirdos) has much better hash browns.  

Also, PM over by Belmont is good burgers ... but if you're over by Belmont and it happens to be Tuesday, just head straight to Mafioza's pizza on the other side of campus.  2-4-1 pizza and drinks.

Here are some top picks in the Nashville dining scene. I've tried to group them more by price than by cuisine. I've avoided naming any regional or national chain restaurants. These are all local Nashville places.

$$$$ Reservations highly suggested for any of these

Etch

Kayne Prime <<best steakhouse in the city

Husk  <<New place. The foodies are going crazy over this one.

Germantown Cafe (ask for a seat by the windows for one of the best skyline views around)

Capitol Grille at the Hermitage Hotel

$$$

Merchant's (downstairs)

Tin Angel

F. Scott's

Mad Platter

Midtown Cafe

$$

Jackson's

The Pharmacy biergarten

M.L. Rose (2 locations now)

Batter'd & Fried

Cafe Coco

Coco's Italian Market

Noshville Deli

Mafiaoza's Pizza

Broadway Brewhouse (5 locations around town)

The Cottage Cafe (in Bellevue...If your wife's a girly-girl, this is a nice Saturday lunch spot to take her to.)

Swanky's Taco Shop (sort of becoming a chain, but still small enough for my list)

Puckett's (both downtown and in Franklin)

55 South (Franklin)

Shalimar Indian

Monell's <<Southern food, family style servings

$

Pizza Perfect

Baja Burrito

San Antonio Taco Company

Varallo's Chili Parlor

Arnold's

I Dream of Weenie

Merridee's (Franklin)

Cuova Calypso Cafe  <<tasty Caribbean food

BBQ gets its own category 'cause it's awesome. There's no shortage of places to try around here.

Edley's is popular, but I'm personally not crazy about it. 2 locations now.

Slow & Low has some killer brisket. Good beans, but the greens are soupy.

Judge Bean's in Brentwood is good. Stick to the beef brisket. Texans can't make good pork BBQ to save their lives. ;)

Pegleg Porker is the newest place and is getting some great press. I haven't tried them yet. They're in The Gulch, so may be a great choice before a show at Station Inn.

Jack's is good if you're downtown. Otherwise, there's better.

Tex's off Murfreesboro Rd. has good brisket, smoked turkey, and sausage. Pork is better than at Judge Beans', but there's better elsewhere. He has good sides. Only open for lunch M-F.

Bar-B-Cutie is decent. Certainly not the best but it does the trick if you're jonesin' for some que and it's close by. They have some of the cheapest prices around.

Hog Heaven behind the McDonald's at Centennial Park. Grab your 'que and find a shade tree in the park (no handguns in Metro parks though).

Last category is hot chicken. It's one of Nashville's culinary landmarks.

Prince's is kind of the standard, but it's in a really crappy part of town.

Hattie B's

Pepperfire

400 Degrees

Local Taco was mentioned above. The last time I stopped in there a few weeks ago, their health score was atrocious. For that reason, I can't recommend them right now.

You'll hear good things about Sunset Grill and Cabana. Both are Randy Rayburn's places and he's a big anti 2A guy. FYI. I've probably listed a few in here that are also owned by anti's, but not to my knowledge.

ETA: Calypso Cafe and Monell's

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 3

I drive past Nashville fairly often, Is the Gerst Haus worth a detour?

Mark

http://www.gersthaus.com/appetizers.html

Not really. It's dated. There are better choices. If you want a beer and bratwurst, The Pharmacy in East Nashville is better. the problem with East Nashville is that they have a serious infestation of hipsters. ;)

Im in Nashville quite a bit for work and one of my favorite lunch places of all time is McCabes Pub (spelling?). Its in the west end area, which isnt too far from the Vandy area iirc, Nashville natives correct me if im wrong

McCabe Pub is on Murphy Road, about 5 minutes from Vandy. Typical pub food. Decent burgers and club sandwiches so yeah, it's a good lunch spot. Fair prices. It's a neighborhood restaurant popular with the locals.

Our local award winning distillery is Corsair distillery, also open for tours. http://www.corsairartisan.com/

If you're a beer guy, check out Yazoo Brewing Co. They have tours and tastings on Saturdays. http://www.yazoobrew.com/

Blackstone on West End close to Vandy is a brew-pub that makes their own beer on site.

Bosco's is a regional brew-pub semi-chain (4 or 5 locations from  Little Rock to Nashville). It's a popular place for beer lovers too.