Build or Buy?

UncleJak

I don't think you can build cheaper these days. You might get close with one of the kits, IF you already have the tools. I just finished two (one for a friend). Lowers are pretty easy. Uppers are a little more difficult, and require more specialized tools. If you decide to build, gimme a holler. I'll help you with the upper.

• Like 1
Probably cheapest is to buy a used one in fair condition. Tax and background make starter rifles more expensive off the shelf. I've built almost all mine and it isn't cheaper per se, especially if you're buying other whiz bang stuff to put on it, such as rail systems or go fats gear. You can get a nice used one for about $700 whereas a new one off the shelf is gonna push $900 after tax and TICS, or shipping, if you go that route. Unless, of course, you get one of those cheapo sport rifles that S&W or DPMS make. Those start around $600-650 and they're nice enough. Just plastic lower I think.

Does this hold true for all calibers, or is general to 5.56 (stuff available at Walmart, etc.)?

Question re new vs build, not used ( and especially for exotic cal ?? Like 300 aac or 204 ruger) Edited by R_Bert

Does this hold true for all calibers, or is general to 5.56 (stuff available at Walmart, etc.)?

I haven't seen any starter rifles in other calibers. A 300 BLK is just a different barrel. Other calibers require mods to the gun. I wouldn't start with anything other than 5.56.

.204 Ruger is a varmint caliber. You don't want standard starter AR furniture, 'cause the barrel needs to be free floated. IMO, the barrel also needs to be rifle length.

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1

Question re new vs build, not used ( and especially for exotic cal ?? Like 300 aac or 204 ruger)

I would like to sell my 308 and build my own. I haven’t done it because I don’t think I could build one for less than I could buy one. 308 prices on lowers and quad rail hand guards are crazy. They don’t cost anymore to manufacture so I assume its because they haven’t really taken off yet. Once they become more popular and manufacturers can move their inventory faster; the prices should be about the same. There also are not “AR” standards in some of the other calibers.

Edited by DaveTN

Complete factory AR’s are below $700 and in stock again. You might be able to order parts and build one for less than that, but it would be close. As Mike said you would also need tools if you don’t have them.

Yep, I think complete rifles led the supply recovery after King Big Ears' war on guns. You can get parts now, but they're still not as plentiful or as cheap as they were before the libs got their gift massacre. 

As others have said, buying a whole rifle off the shelf is cheaper right now. That's if you have the full amount ready to purchase.

I have been buying parts as I've had the money and when I see deals. The TGO lowers are going to put me behind significantly but I can't think of a better reason.

I would like to sell my 308 and build my own. I haven’t done it because I don’t think I could build one for less than I could buy one. 308 prices on lowers and quad rail hand guards are crazy. They don’t cost anymore to manufacture so I assume its because they haven’t really taken off yet. Once they become more popular and manufacturers can move their inventory faster; the prices should be about the same. There also are not “AR” standards in some of the other calibers.

Actually, I think they really do cost more. The parts are all bigger and beefier (as you know), but more importantly, they don't sell near as many. Unit cost on any metal parts is going to be driven by the number of pieces in the production run. You knew that too :)

I like the 'build" thing the best; especially the lowers... I like to tinker, and it causes ya to understand just how all this stuff works.  That could come in handy some day.  Like mike and others have opined; the upper buildin thing is a bit more of a problem due to the specialty tools needed.  I like the "build it yourself" thing because ya get exactly what ya want... 

leroy

You can change out "pretty much" whatever you want on an AR, but if you are going to go that route (just my opinion) you might as well build the rifle yourself.  While it might be cheaper to purchase a whole rifle, once you start swapping out parts to get what you want, you probably are going to end up spending more than if you just built it with the parts you wanted from go. 

• Like 1

You can change out "pretty much" whatever you want on an AR, but if you are going to go that route (just my opinion) you might as well build the rifle yourself.  While it might be cheaper to purchase a whole rifle, once you start swapping out parts to get what you want, you probably are going to end up spending more than if you just built it with the parts you wanted from go. 

Depends on the person. A lot of folks leave their rifles bone stock forever. I'm one of the biggest Magpul sluts in the world, but I ain't normal :)

• Like 3
For me, with the options I enjoy (free float tubes, Magpul items and such) it's cheaper to build. Now if I were in your position and wanted a "bare bones" rifle, I'd just buy it. I enjoy building as well because it gets me familiar with every single part of my AR's, like others have said it may come in handy someday. Edited by KKing

Complete factory AR’s are below $700 and in stock again. You might be able to order parts and build one for less than that, but it would be close. As Mike said you would also need tools if you don’t have them.

Sure, I've seen them new priced around $750 online, but after shipping ($15-20), FFL fee ($15-25) and TICS ($10) it starts to get up there. Even buying a $750 rifle from Wally World means you're tacking on another $80 bucks in tax and TICS. Cheaper to buy from a private seller at a gun show or face to face.

Not knocking it, just saying you have to look at more than sticker price. The only price that matters is out the door.

So if I buy one can I change parts out? Like a lower for instance?

sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

This is the reason all the ones I currently own are my own builds; well that and I tend to build around the extra parts I have. But I have a pretty specific idea of what I'm building when I do it, so it isn't cheaper for me to buy one complete off the shelf since a bunch of the stuff I may not even want on there. Big one is usually barrel, sights and handguards. No point in buying one if I'm gonna change all that anyways.

I just finished this one. It was $1000 or so, not counting the cost to transfer the lower receiver, or any shipping. It has cheap (aka milspec) furniture. I wouldn't call it a starter because if the MPI tested stuff in the business end. It was built from stripped receivers and a stripped barrel.

I'm very happy with what I spent, and know it's put together right. It's probably not the cheapest, if I could have found an A2 on the rack somewhere. If you add the cost of the specialty tools that I already own, the cost would have probably been stupid.

IMG_0935a_zpsd4f37899.jpg

If you can swing it, get a SigSauer 516(Pist) or M400(DI)($1500+/-), Daniel Defense DDM4(DI)($1500+/-), LaRue PredatAR(DI)($1500+/-) or Bravo Company Car16 mod0/1 or Mid16 mod0/1(DI)($1000-1200+/-) as they are the best AR's for the money IMHO. If you have a lower budget table($999 or less), go with a S&W M&P 1/8 5R barrel, Spikes, Stag, or Rock River. There are many more brands out there but these are the first to jump to the front of my mind for quality and price point.

Edited by whitewolf001