Holster for Glock 26 Recommendations

GlockSpock

• Moderators

I have been and typically carry a Gen 3 Glock 19 in a Raven Concealment Holster:

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/holsters/phantom-modular-holsters/phantom-light-compatible-holster

I carry attached a Surefire X300 Ultra. It's a great combination. However, as you can imagine, it is quite bulky IWB (I use the tuckable soft loops):

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/accessories/iwb-modular-accessories/iwb-eclipse-modular-accessories-iwb-tuckable-soft-loops

Most of the time this is fine. If I am going into public for shopping or a friendly gathering, I typically will be wearing a button up or polo even in warmer weather. 

However, I also try and go  on several 4-8 mile walks a week. Recently I have been compromising and placing my Gen 3 Glock 26 in my pocket. Since I don't (and have no reason to) feel comfortable in placing a Glock in my pocket with one in the chamber, I leave it chambered when I place it in my pocket. On a long walk, it is generally more comfortable with the G26 in my pocket than the larger G19 rig IWB.

However, I am now wishing to pickup either an IWB holster or some sort of pocket carry setup for the G26. For one thing, this really caught my eye:

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/holsters/vanguard-holster-systems/vanguard-2-holster-full-kit

However, I've also seen the little "trigger blocks" for Glocks that go in your pocket and all sorts of other things. I'd like to know what all of you think about the most minimal ways to (safely) carry a Glock 26.

Edited by CZ9MM

CZ:  I sometimes carry my glock 33 (...same size as the 26, different caliber...) in an Allen Miller hip pocket kydex holster.  As to an IWB holster, i have built 3 of the "Quick Assemble Kits" from Old Faithful Holsters; including one for the glock 33... A forum member here, SW40, turned me on to them in a post about IWB holsters.   I think they are the best IWB kydex / leather hybirds ive seen; because they are put together with screws, and not rivets.  Check out this link for details:

http://oldfaithfulholsters.com/shop/quick-assemble-kit-inside-the-waistband-hip-gun-holster-kit/

I'm also a big DM Bullard fan too.  They make some excellent leather holsters, some of them "in stock"... I really like their "dual carry"; im thinkin about buyin one for my baby glock myself...  The also have excellent leather pocket holsters...

Hope this helps..

leroy

OP, I own a VG2, and love it.  It's great for what it is - an ultra concealable holster for non-permissive environments.   While primarily set up for AIWB, a great thing about it is that you carry use it at just about every point on your belt, save SOB.   

Having said that, everything's a compromise, and this holster's no different.  Biggest thing (for me) is not being able to reholster your weapon without taking the holster off your belt.  And this holster (like all AIWB rigs) works better with a longer slide than a shorter one. 

It I were buying fresh today for AIWB carry, I'd pick up a VG2 and a CCC Shaggy/DF Archangel/JM Custom AIWB or Dark Star AIWB holster - for a Glock 17 or 19.  Not really a fan of Raven's ACR, but I've owned a Phantom OWB for 5 years now. 

• Moderators

OP, I own a VG2, and love it.  It's great for what it is - an ultra concealable holster for non-permissive environments.   While primarily set up for AIWB, a great thing about it is that you carry use it at just about every point on your belt, save SOB.   

Having said that, everything's a compromise, and this holster's no different.  Biggest thing (for me) is not being able to reholster your weapon without taking the holster off your belt.  And this holster (like all AIWB rigs) works better with a longer slide than a shorter one. 

It I were buying fresh today for AIWB carry, I'd pick up a VG2 and a CCC Shaggy/DF Archangel/JM Custom AIWB or Dark Star AIWB holster - for a Glock 17 or 19.  Not really a fan of Raven's ACR, but I've owned a Phantom OWB for 5 years now. 

My understanding of the VanGuard system is that (for Glocks) you can use it with most any model Glock? Get one for the G26 and use it with my G19 if I want? For concealing a small firearm such as a G26, I don't mind or care about the "extra" step of holstering. Besides that, would you consider it adequate for safety concerns? The trigger guard if completely covered, how's retention? Once it is in place on your belt, does it sit pretty stable?

I have no desire to AIWB. I understand that functionally speaking, it is just as safe as OWB or IWB on one of your sides. However, I am a firm believer of never pointing a firearm at something you don't want to destroy. It looks like to me that AIWB has the firearm pointing directly at your thigh area. Just the though of that makes me cringe. If I am wrong about AIWB please let me know.

Wish someone in Cleveland had a VG2 for a Glock, I'd love to take a look at one!

Edited by CZ9MM

My understanding of the VanGuard system is that (for Glocks) you can use it with most any model Glock? Get one for the G26 and use it with my G19 if I want? For concealing a small firearm such as a G26, I don't mind or care about the "extra" step of holstering. Besides that, would you consider it adequate for safety concerns? The trigger guard if completely covered, how's retention? Once it is in place on your belt, does it sit pretty stable?

I have no desire to AIWB. I understand that functionally speaking, it is just as safe as OWB or IWB on one of your sides. However, I am a firm believer of never pointing a firearm at something you don't want to destroy. It looks like to me that AIWB has the firearm pointing directly at your thigh area. Just the though of that makes me cringe. If I am wrong about AIWB please let me know.

Wish someone in Cleveland had a VG2 for a Glock, I'd love to take a look at one!

BL - is the VG2 worth owning? Yes, absolutely. I know several guys that use it exclusively. I'm just not one of them.

To answer your questions:

Yes, you can use it with any 9mm Glock, and other calibers/models as well - with the exception of both the large-framed guns (in 10mm and .45ACP) and the G36. 

Yes, the trigger is completely covered by the guard, and the pistol seats into the holster in a similar, secure manner that all RCS holsters provide.  The VG2 also has a lip on its left side to protect against activation of the mag release.

Yes, it's stable - but it's not as stable as a purpose-built AIWB or IWB holster for obvious reasons.  Nor is it as secure as using a purpose-built holster.  Having said that, it doesn't shift so much as to preclude using the holster.

I routinely carry a G17 with my VG2, even in summer months, using no more than a t-shirt for a cover garment.  I can't do that without some printing with my DF Archangel, and there's the trade-off.   I like carrying in my DF AA.  I tolerate carrying with my VG2.

As an aside - the ability to reholster allows you to train with the rig.  I read an AAR once of a guy that went to a shooting course with only a VG2 to validate his equipment.  He had a very tough couple of days.

There are plenty of good reasons to carry AIWB...but that's another thread.

• Moderators

BL - is the VG2 worth owning? Yes, absolutely. I know several guys that use it exclusively. I'm just not one of them.

To answer your questions:

Yes, you can use it with any 9mm Glock, and other calibers/models as well - with the exception of both the large-framed guns (in 10mm and .45ACP) and the G36. 

Yes, the trigger is completely covered by the guard, and the pistol seats into the holster in a similar, secure manner that all RCS holsters provide.  The VG2 also has a lip on its left side to protect against activation of the mag release.

Yes, it's stable - but it's not as stable as a purpose-built AIWB or IWB holster for obvious reasons.  Nor is it as secure as using a purpose-built holster.  Having said that, it doesn't shift so much as to preclude using the holster.

I routinely carry a G17 with my VG2, even in summer months, using no more than a t-shirt for a cover garment.  I can't do that without some printing with my DF Archangel, and there's the trade-off.   I like carrying in my DF AA.  I tolerate carrying with my VG2.

As an aside - the ability to reholster allows you to train with the rig.  I read an AAR once of a guy that went to a shooting course with only a VG2 to validate his equipment.  He had a very tough couple of days.

There are plenty of good reasons to carry AIWB...but that's another thread.

Well, give me the list of reasons here and now! I've read up on some of it, it just seems to violate on of the rules of gun safety, that's all. I will probably give the VG2 a try. Thanks!

Well, give me the list of reasons here and now! I've read up on some of it, it just seems to violate on of the rules of gun safety, that's all. I will probably give the VG2 a try. Thanks!

I think you're over thinking that rule.  What happens when you have a gun holstered at the 430 position IWB?  You're pointing a gun at your ass.  What happens when you bend over to pick something up?  Who are you flagging?  What happens if you're sitting on the second floor of some place?  What poor soul is in the line of your muzzle?  I don't even want to think about some of those shoulder holsters...

It is a secure holster, like any other holster.  It is a minimalist design intended for a specific style or need of carry.  You can use it with a 26, I have before.  But I think it works better with my 19.  That extra bit of slide helps secure it just a little bit more.

Another vote for DMBullard.  I have one of his "dual carry" holsters for my G26 and love it for iwb carry at 4-5 o'clock, it's tuckable too.  Some don't like it cause it has a lot of forward cant but, I find it doesn't print at all and is more natural to draw from than most holsters at the 4-5 o'clock position.  Also like his "body guard" owb holster that's a similar design.

I have a RKBA pocket holster for the G26.  It's all leather, covers the trigger completely, and draws from easily.  Ran across these looking for a pocket holster for my SIG 238 as I couldn't get my mind comfortable carrying a 1911 style "cocked and locked".  It covered the safety and I carried it unchambered for a couple of weeks working around the house before I was comfortable carrying with a round chambered.  Actually ordered one for the G26 and had it before I bought the gun at the first of this summer.  Have carried the G26 (w/round chambered) in the RKBA pocket holster in shorts front pocket probably 90% of the time since.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

I finally got around to purchasing the Raven Concealment Vanguard 2. It should arrive either tomorrow or Friday. So very excited about this one, as even though it isn't a "full" holster, it gives me several options such as keeping either a G19/G26 on the nightstand safely with very quick access or keeping either of those guns on my hip very minimally. Good $40 well spent I hope!

I finally got around to purchasing the Raven Concealment Vanguard 2. It should arrive either tomorrow or Friday. So very excited about this one, as even though it isn't a "full" holster, it gives me several options such as keeping either a G19/G26 on the nightstand safely with very quick access or keeping either of those guns on my hip very minimally. Good $40 well spent I hope!

Post up your thoughts after you try it out. 

You may never believe this but the Glock Sport Combat holster(with the friction retention nub removed is the best pocket holster I have ever used.

This is true . YOu can remove the inner friction thingy and trim the outer perimeter of the holster to fit properly inside your pocket  or just keep it on your belt . These cheap (as in price not quality)  holsters made by Glock FOR the Glock pistol work awesomely. They are only $14 . Once I got mine , I sold all my other holsters for my Glocks and now use this one for them all. 

Edited by tercel89

Has the Crossbreed Supertuck gone out of favour or manufacture? At one time, it was the highlight of any holster party. I have one for my G26 (but don't have the G26 anymore) and my CW9.

Mac

Nope still around and arguably the best IWB holster out there. Personally I prefer the horse hide version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • Like 1