Here is a dose of Big Brother you might not like...

Guest 6.8 AR

TV cop shows have been preparing us for this all along. They give the impression that this is just good police work. After this is installed you can be located and identified anywhere there is video cam (traffic cams, ATMs, etc. The excuse is that this helps them get "Bad Guys" but  they will be determining who the Bad Guys are. (Maybe wrong political affiliation, wrong religion  or wrong color?) I'm for helping the LEAs as much as the next guy, but this is getting into "Big Brother!"

Edited by wjh2657
  • Like 3
I thought they already had this technology, since I see it in all the best Hollywood movies. It must be a good idea, because in the movies the gov't never uses for anything except finding/tracking bad guys. I'm sure they'd never keep the images on file lont-term to track innocent citizens' movements or any other nefarious uses. </sarcasm>.

I doubt it matters if we "like it" or not...we are living in a technological revolution that is and will have just as profound an effect on this country and the world as the industrial revolution or the renaissance did...there is NO stopping it.  If you tried to name just the parts of our lives that have changed because of technology in the past decade I doubt you could remember them all...remember "flip phones", Compact Disks, dial-up modems, AOL, or cars without more CPUs than the Space Shuttle?

Kids born in 2000 and later have no idea what a "record" is or that the interned hasn't always existed or that we can't just talk to our phone or our car and have it do something for us. Do any of you have young children or grandchildren that have walked up to your TV and tried to change the channel by swiping the screen because they think it's just a big iPad and a "remote control' is a foreign object to them?

Twenty years ago a futurists said that we had seen more technological changes in the past 50 years than in ALL OF HUMAN HISTORY up to that point but we haven't seen anything yet.

The truth is, technology is neither good or bad...moral or immoral...fair nor unfair...it just is. Facial recognition can be used to spot a known terrorist that DHS thinks is in the process of planting a bomb at a public event or it can be used to spot a "dangerous" patriot who doesn't trust the government and has spoken out about it. We can try to insulate ourselves from it...avoid it...but the truth is that technology has done a lot of good for us. It makes our lives easier; in some cases a lot easire and it some cases, it's the only reason we haven't yet taken that big dirt nap.

What really matters when it comes to technology is what we do with it. Most of us don't trust "Homeland Security" because we tend to not trust anything the "government" does...I understand that...but I don't think it makes any difference whether we like it or not. The best we can hope for is to try to put good people into power who ARE moral and good and fair.

• Like 1

Has anyone ever watched the TV show   "Person of Interest"?  That is exactly what this boils down to. They will soon be able to scan and sort out 5,000 people walking down a side walk and type one name into the computer and it will find you in that crowd of 5,000 in a matter of seconds. Now like 6.8AR mentioned. It all depends on who is looking and what their intentions are and to if this technology will be good thing or bad thing........jmho

Edited by bersaguy

Yes it does matter what we think, Mike. How do you think the Tea Party came about? Is it just spitting in the wind?

I hope you know that all I'm trying to do is get you to change your attitude about this stuff. The more people get

back in the game, the more chance for success in defeating tyranny.

Complacence doesn't pay the bills when the price is too high. Tyranny raises prices to the point of absolute

power stripping us of any liberty God, or whoever a person chooses to believe in, gave us. Next thing is a

Stalin like Utopia.

Sound good?

Edited by 6.8 AR

I agree with you 110%    6.8AR.  We need to get people thinking for them selves like folks did years ago when I was growing up. My father has got to be rolling over in his grave knowing what this country has become. I grew up is home that was very dedicated to America. There was always an Old Glory hanging from our flag pole at our home just as there is one in front of mine and when ever it was needed it would be lowered to half staff. When it wore out a new one was bought to replace it. I can remember how furious he got when he saw flag burnings in the news and the people not arrested for it. Anytime the National Anthem was played on TV or in Public my father made sure we all stood up and put our hands over our hearts and he saluted since he was vet from WWII. There was nothing negative allow to be said against America in our home. My sons were all taught the same thing and still do it today. I heard my grandson say something negative about America one day and he got an ear full of how great this country is from me and you can bet he may think what he wants but he will never mention it in my presence or his fathers presence again. The way I look at it is if you don't like America you have two choices. You can support the majority or your welcome to leave and find a country that suits your beliefs. Right now the majority have spoken and voted to fund the Government and de-fund the Affordable Care Act. That means it's time to choose. Are you part of the majority or are you not.............jmho

Guest TankerHC
Believe it or not this technology has been around for years. The National park Service used it during the million black man march.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Believe it or not this technology has been around for years. The National park Service used it during the million black man march.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Yep, Britain has been using it, and very effectively for years.  There was a story last month actually about the UK .gov skimming all of the facebook profile photos and loading them up into their system.

I love me some technology. I just can’t see how IDing someone at a border crossing or looking for a suspect in a crowd is tyranny or a Police State…. Just can’t make that leap.

I feel the same way about this I did when folks were whining about ONSTAR. If I crash and I am unconscious my car can call for help. I’m supposed to pass on that because some man in black somewhere might use it to track my vehicle? smilielol5.gif

The black men can track us too, being able to check your fuel level from your cellphone before walking out in the morning to know if you'll have to leave early and gas up or grab another vehicle is just too awesome to give up.  Plus the remote start from anywhere you have phone service can't be beat either.

If you're about to renew, call them up and tell them you want to cancel because it's too expensive.  They cut $80/year off the plan with navigation over what's listed on the website.

Edited by Sam1

I never said that was tyranny, Dave, but in the wrong hands, and using things like that in the wrong way, yes, that is tyranny.

Oh, yeh, and Onstar is a paid private service. You have a choice in that.

Edited by 6.8 AR

Oh, yeh, and Onstar is a paid private service. You have a choice in that.

Technically the facial recognition stuff will be a paid, private service too cause your plethora of taxes paid for it and we're sure as hell never going to know what kind of data is being recorded or what it is used for - so it will be very private  :up:

I love me some technology. I just can’t see how IDing someone at a border crossing or looking for a suspect in a crowd is tyranny or a Police State…. Just can’t make that leap.

I feel the same way about this I did when folks were whining about ONSTAR. If I crash and I am unconscious my car can call for help. I’m supposed to pass on that because some man in black somewhere might use it to track my vehicle? smilielol5.gif

What is one of the tenets of a police state?  Massive amounts of surveillance.  What is this program if not massive surveillance?  I know this might not bother you as you come from the crowd that believes that if you have done nothing wrong, then you should have nothing to hide or fear.

Initially this program will be benign.  In fact, some good may come of it.  However, as government grows, which it incessantly does, and becomes more and more involved in our lives, more than likely this program will expand beyond its original scope.  Think of London with all of its video cameras through the city.  I do not like the fact that the government will eventually have the capabilities to track everything we do on a day to day basis, just like I don't like the fact that the NSA captures massive amounts of metadata.  It is just too much power for the government to have.

• Like 1

I know this might not bother you as you come from the crowd that believes that if you have done nothing wrong, then you should have nothing to hide or fear.

I don’t come from that crowd at all; I’ve seen plenty of innocent people get hammered. I believe that anything that will be used as an apprehension or enforcement tool shouldn’t be a bad thing just because in someone’s wildest dreams it could be used for evil…. I feel the same way about guns.

Don't overestimate the capability of a government that relies on the lowest bidder and a 9 to 5 attitude to get things done. You become a person of interest when the us atty office says so. Or piss off an agency. It costs money to run white vans and black helicopters. So take a deep breath put the foil back on the grill and rest assured, John q agent doesn't care.....
Good day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.
Guest ThePunisher
Does anybody trust this administration in charge with all of our technology capabilities in all the bureaucratic agencies? Of course, all we've seen from this administration is only phony scandals!

The biggest negative change to society that I see on a daily basis resulting from rapid technological advances is that the art of conversation is being lost. People have their faces glued to their smartphones with their earbuds in and don't interact face to face as much with each other anymore. We chat on our computers and stay at home more now, because you just don't have to get out in public if you don't want to.

The good thing is that communication with our friends and family is much easier now than it used to be. I have reconnected with many people that I have not seen nor spoken with in over 30 years.

I don’t come from that crowd at all; I’ve seen plenty of innocent people get hammered. I believe that anything that will be used as an apprehension or enforcement tool shouldn’t be a bad thing just because in someone’s wildest dreams it could be used for evil…. I feel the same way about guns.

The only trouble is that the track record of using technology is that it gets used in way not intended, like England. We

supposedly have laws to protect us from this, and we still see things get used in the wrong way. Privacy is a big issue

we have been allowing an overreach, for many years, regardless of laws. That's not a wild dream. The internet is a

prime example.

Guest semiautots
I'm beginning to believe there needs to be an answer to the monopoly of force that resides with government. All laws carry the threat of force if you don't comply, and the average citizen does not have the ability to resist. We are entering a new phase of civilization, where absolute distrust of politicians and their armed enforcers is becoming acute.  A phase where laws are written to benefit some at the expense of others.  Without an ability to resist, the government can, and will, do whatever it wants to.  There is no way to stop it. 

There is. It's called the US Constitution. More should read it! It is really a profound document many

have no idea about, and is chock full of protections against the kind of stuff we see get through

Congress that shouldn't. It is the defining difference between a nation of laws and a nation of men.

We don't seem to grasp that very much, though, when we should always default to it.

Edited by 6.8 AR