My PC is SOL...

whitewolf001

I haven't had at home a computer for some time now (hence the five day intervals in my updates on here since I have been doing them from work) and am just NOW getting around to fixing the darned thing and as luck would have it you can't just get the power supply anymore as it is a specialty slim model they only made for a few years. I contacted Dell directly and spoke to their "parts dept" and that is the info I was given, SUPPOSEDLY she was going to submit my file to Dell to see if there is anything that can be done though I'm holding my breath...  <_<   So I have a computer that is useless and the only way to get all the memory that is CURRENTLY on it is to piggyback(slave) the HDD to a new computer. Just awesome.   :shake:

Edited by whitewolf001

You could buy a new box and throw that Dell crap away. At least a new box from a generic vendor can be upgraded

many ways. I imagine you can find a fairly decent box for under 400 bucks.

That's just coming from a person who likes to play under the hood. :D

Holy crap! I've been searching the interwebs all day for this and you find it in like five seconds, hahaha! Thanks a million TDR!!!

I have an old midtower ATX case with power supply if you swing through Nashville. Free for the taking. If you can wait another three weeks or so while I get settled from my move across town, I'll swap it out for you too. Case and power supply are available now if you can't wait.

If it comes to that I'll let you know but with TDR's response and Tanker's pm I should be good now(hopefully-knock on wood)

The problem with swapping inards on Dell's is that they manufacture their own power supplies and mainboards so the power supply connectors and front panel connectors are in most cases proprietary.  Amazon and ebay will be your best friends for sourcing spare parts.  That being said it might be better for the long run to get something new and a hard drive enclosure.

• Like 1

The problem with swapping inards on Dell's is that they manufacture their own power supplies and mainboards so the power supply connectors and front panel connectors are in most cases proprietary.  Amazon and ebay will be your best friends for sourcing spare parts.  That being said it might be better for the long run to get something new and a hard drive enclosure.

Plans are already in the works for a custom build that a good friend of mine does, his dad is a programmer and fools around with the hardware on the side and has ever since he was a kid. His current PC has an 8 core CPU and 30GB of RAM, course, he said he's got about a DDM4's worth invested in his gaming computer, lmao. He built me a shopping list and it's going to cost me about $600 to get the gaming PC I want that should do me for several years.

Mainboards are almost always proprietary, so ATX cases don't work. The PSU, however, is usually just a standard ATX power connection with a separate 4pin for the proc.

Drives are either sata or molex. DVD drives power connection can be wonky, though.

I've used a standard ATX PSU on a few slim dells the past couple years at work to test and make sure nothing except a bad PSU was preventing them from booting.

What model Dell do you have, btw?

Edited by cj0e

Get an Apple.

Costs more up front but they last forever.  I'm an extremely heavy user and am still happy with going on a 4 year old iMac and the only thing that has been done to it is bump up the RAM to 8gb.  Thing runs windows 8 and OSX at the same time with zero lag.  in 3+ years it has never once locked up with anywhere from 2-10 hours of use per day.

I have a 10yr old Powermac G5 tower that has been sitting in the hot/cold/damp garage for a year... it powered up the other day and ran like a champ.  I've also lost macs to logic board issues after 5 years... so... YMMV.

Good luck with getting your computer back up.

Guest Lester Weevils
I've had lots of macs. It would be a chore to count them, since the first toaster mac 128 I got in 1986.

I still have a 5 year old Mac Pro that is still a strong machine, and a 7 year old macbook still works but a little slow. It hasn't done much traveling, and only minor use, which extends its life. About all I do on it is quicken and taxes.

I like mac for online use because it seems a little less likely to get malware. On a pc if you get unlucky you can get malware just innocently surfing the web with all shields up.

But I generally like winders better and won't likely buy another mac. Bought the previous decades of macs as business tools and I've swore off programming macs, so good riddance after the current two die. To get a 2013 mac pro outfitted the way I'd like would cost over $10,000, and it still wouldn't have all the connectors I'd desire, without adding on expensive adapters.

If you have computer trouble, then it is bad regardless of the OS. Winders is more adaptable, easier to program, and a heck of a lot cheaper for equivalent hardware.

I've had lots of macs. It would be a chore to count them, since the first toaster mac 128 I got in 1986.

I still have a 5 year old Mac Pro that is still a strong machine, and a 7 year old macbook still works but a little slow. It hasn't done much traveling, and only minor use, which extends its life. About all I do on it is quicken and taxes.

I like mac for online use because it seems a little less likely to get malware. On a pc if you get unlucky you can get malware just innocently surfing the web with all shields up.

But I generally like winders better and won't likely buy another mac. Bought the previous decades of macs as business tools and I've swore off programming macs, so good riddance after the current two die. To get a 2013 mac pro outfitted the way I'd like would cost over $10,000, and it still wouldn't have all the connectors I'd desire, without adding on expensive adapters.

If you have computer trouble, then it is bad regardless of the OS. Winders is more adaptable, easier to program, and a heck of a lot cheaper for equivalent hardware.

I really like the Mac and the Mac OS though the closest I have used it is apple store and a hackintosh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Guest tdoccrossvilletn
[quote name="Sam1" post="1039434" timestamp="1380192827"] Costs more up front but they last forever. I'm an extremely heavy user and am still happy with going on a 4 year old iMac and the only thing that has been done to it is bump up the RAM to 8gb. Thing runs windows 8 and OSX at the same time with zero lag. in 3+ years it has never once locked up with anywhere from 2-10 hours of use per day.[/quote] Macs are for liberal computer illiterates who think their poop doesn't stink. At least that's been my experience with them over the years. If it want libtards using them then it was certainly the illiterates. I hated dealing with Macs when I did tech support. Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy. Edited by tdoccrossvilletn

Macs are for liberal computer illiterates who think their poop doesn't stink. At least that's been my experience with them over the years. If it want libtards using them then it was certainly the illiterates. I hated dealing with Macs when I did tech support. Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

A lot of people in the IT field use them because they don't want to work on computers when they go home too.