Need to vent

Guest tdoccrossvilletn

Guest tdoccrossvilletn
I am frustrated because growing up my father never taught he how to "fix" or "work on" things. I smelled a burning smell this morning coming from my dryer so I shut it off and cleaned out the lint trap even though there was none. I put it back in and started the dryer. More burning smell only this time lint starts blowing everywhere. Now I've got lint to clean up and no idea how to fix it. I've got clothes to wash for work and my parents live an hour and ten minutes away and are busy so they couldn't help me anyways. Now I've got to spend the day trying to fix something I have no clue how to fix. I'm assuming either that silver vent hose had come unhooked or has a hole in it. I'd say a hole would be an easy fix with duct tape installing a new hose not so much. I just had a million things to do today with not enough hours in the day and now I've got a million and one things to do. Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy. Edited by tdoccrossvilletn
The best way to learn is to do. I've taken my dryer apart a few times over the decade+ that I've had it. In fact, most things I've learned how to tinker on in adulthood has been through trial and error. It's a learning experience you look back on and value despite it being so frustrating in the moment.
  • Like 3
Guest tdoccrossvilletn
[quote name="TMF" post="1042460" timestamp="1380717222"] The best way to learn is to do. I've taken my dryer apart a few times over the decade+ that I've had it. In fact, most things I've learned how to tinker on in adulthood has been through trial and error. It's a learning experience you look back on and value despite it being so frustrating in the moment.[/quote] Yeah, I plan to attempt to tackle this later. I've got to figure out how to move the dryer out of the tight spot its in without scratching the laminate flooring. I don't have a dolly so this will be fun I'm sure. Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy. Edited by tdoccrossvilletn
Guest 6.8 AR

The drier should slide out without scratching anything. They usually have decent glides on them. If lint is

getting in contact with the coils, which it shouldn't be, there is a serious problem. Usually lint is leaking

out of the exhaust vent, like you mentioned, and could be sealed up. also could be failing due to coils

being damaged somehow. Make sure the coils are uniform and none are bent towards each other. If gas,

no coils involved, but lint shouldn't get anywhere near the flame, either. Take care to put everything back

exactly the way you dismantled it. Not that difficult.

Probably the exhaust vent, though.

Washers and driers aren't that much to disassemble, but just be patient. We have a 20 y/o gas drier and

a 25+ y/o washer and I've had them apart many times.

The only thing I ever learned from my dad was how to shoot (he was a super shot!), but never any kind of repairs. When I purchased my house in 2000, I very quickly racked up some repair skills. 13 years later, I rarely call any type of repairman. I have learned out of necessity.  I'm sure you will do the same. 

Guest tdoccrossvilletn
[quote name="6.8 AR" post="1042477" timestamp="1380719712"] The drier should slide out without scratching anything. They usually have decent glides on them. If lint is getting in contact with the coils, which it shouldn't be, there is a serious problem. Usually lint is leaking out of the exhaust vent, like you mentioned, and could be sealed up. also could be failing due to coils being damaged somehow. Make sure the coils are uniform and none are bent towards each other. If gas, no coils involved, but lint shouldn't get anywhere near the flame, either. Take care to put everything back exactly the way you dismantled it. Not that difficult. Probably the exhaust vent, though. Washers and driers aren't that much to disassemble, but just be patient. We have a 20 y/o gas drier and a 25+ y/o washer and I've had them apart many times.[/quote] I got the dryer out without scratching anything and swept up the excess lint that escaped. Everything looks okay as far as the dryer goes. Of course I'm no expert but from what I can tell the only problem I have is the vent hose. However, the dryer hose certainly came off and there are at least two holes in it. I think I can get some duct tape for the holes. I think I'm going to buy one of those circular clamps you tighten with a screw driver to put on the end of the hose where it attaches to the dryer. Its an electric dryer and it was just purchased in June I doubt its failing already. Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy. Edited by tdoccrossvilletn

I got the dryer out without scratching anything and swept up the excess lint that escaped. Everything looks okay as far as the dryer goes. However the dryer house certainly came off and there are at least two holes in it. I think I can get some duct tape for the holes. I think in going to buy one of those circular clamps you tighten with a screw driver to put on the end of the hose where it attaches to the dryer. Its an electric dryer and it was just purchased in June I doubt its failing already. Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

Yeah, hose clamps are a must for keeping that on, otherwise it'll just keep slipping off. Still concerned about the burning smell though. That ain't good. I'd investigate that and run a few test loads through under supervision before being comfortable that it isn't a fire hazard.
Guest 6.8 AR

I do, too. You can get a rigid, but adjustable duct to your dryer vent from Lowe's. They tend to stay put better

at my house. Otherwise, use the metallic tape used on HVAC ducting, not the gray stuff. All it will do is wrinkle

shrink and possibly burn. Yeh, clamps are a necessity.

Edited by 6.8 AR
Guest tdoccrossvilletn
[quote name="TMF" post="1042502" timestamp="1380722492"] Yeah, hose clamps are a must for keeping that on, otherwise it'll just keep slipping off. Still concerned about the burning smell though. That ain't good. I'd investigate that and run a few test loads through under supervision before being comfortable that it isn't a fire hazard.[/quote] Yeah, I'm going to repair and reinstall the vent hose. Then I'm going to start a test load and see what happens. Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy. Edited by tdoccrossvilletn
Guest Lester Weevils
Yup, learn by doing. However, I usually will pay a fella to work on HVAC, washer dryer, and plumbing. And unless I can purt quickly diagnose it, will also pay for an electrician, though I have "fairly considerable" experience designing, building and fixing electronics. The most important-- UNPLUG the dryer before working on it. Simple but people get killed thataway.

Appliances have lots of special parts and the parts store salesmen are impatient with dummasses who don't know what to ask for. So an amateur repair that could stretch into a day or more to replace a stupid switch or fuse, is settled in less than an hour by a repairman possessed of specialized knowledge, even though it isn't hi-tech or complicated. You just need a little knowledge of the field.

Plus, you can watch the repairman and ask questions and be better qualified to maybe DIY next time.

Wish I'd clipped the cartoon, can't find it online. Long ago there was a newspaper comic "Our Boarding House". A lazy fat boastful guy Major Hoople undertakes to repair the washing wachine. After banging all day in the basement, he comes up with a big box of assorted gears and parts.

"Did you fix the washer?"
"Yep."
"What was wrong?"
"It had too many parts!" :) Edited by Lester Weevils

The most important-- UNPLUG the dryer before working on it. Simple but people get killed thataway.

Been there. In fact, just posted about it in the dummy thread. Takes a second to realize the sensation you're experiencing is all that juice flowing through you.

I do, too. You can get a rigid, but adjustable duct to your dryer vent from Lowe's. They tend to stay put better

at my house. Otherwise, use the metallic tape used on HVAC ducting, not the gray stuff. All it will do is wrinkle

shrink and possibly burn. Yeh, clamps are a necessity.

This.  Use quality foil tape.  Shockingly, one of the worst possible uses for duct tape is on duct work. 

If you're working on the dryer vent, clean it out as best you can.  Dryer ducts should be rigid metal pipe.  Small sections of the flexible metal stuff are ok to fit odd joints, but don't use it for the full length.  DO NOT use that nylon crap they sell at the box stores. 

As you well know, lint is an excellent fire starter.  You might be surprised to learn how many houses are destroyed by fires caused by blocked or incorrectly installed dryer ducts.  Once it starts burning, it gets real hot real fast and it very difficult to extinguish before it gets out of hand. 

As for other such problems, google and youtube are your friend for instructions.  Ebay is your friend for parts.  Dryers are pretty simple.  Just be wary of sharp edges when you get things apart.  It's almost impossible to not cut yourself while fiddling with all that sheet metal. 

Edit... and yes, UNPLUG IT!  Getting hit with 220 VAC isn't a great deal of fun, AMHIK...

Edited by peejman
Guest Lester Weevils
Actually, most wise to throw the appliance's breaker in the mains box before dragging the thing out far enough to unplug it... Especially old appliances can get "hot chassis" problems. Edited by Lester Weevils

Make sure the vent and hose are not clogged up with lint or other obstructions, check that it is clear all the way to the outside. If it got restricted that could cause the coils to overheat and result in the burning smell. The restriction could also cause it to blow out the hose or clamp. I have had this happen a few times over the years usually clogged at the little grill outside or in a bend of the hose.

Good luck with it. No better way to learn than tinkering around with it yourself.

I was alarmed when you said a burning smell. I really would look farther than just a lint issue. Have had lint issues in the past but none ever smelled like something burning. Just be on a cautious side for a while after you restart the dryer to make sure that is your only issue. Could be shorted heater coils or drum belt burning out or pulley bearing going bad. Could even be motor that turns drum. Not trying to be an alarmist but don't want your home to burn down either.....jmho

• Like 1

As others have noted, just stay close and watch it for the next several times it's used.

Worked a buncha fires that started with the dryer.

Even worked one where the homeowner extinguished the fire before we arrived on the scene -- by smothering the fire with dry dog food, of all things ...

My dad was a mechanic and of course an all around fix-it kinda guy. He never taught me anything as a child either. As a young adult I couldn't afford to pay to have anything fixed. I was lucky to make rent half the time so I learned the hard way. Now I can fix most stuff that needs fixin' and sometimes I can even afford to pay someone else to fix something I could fix myself. I can't say enough good about the difference between HAVE to fix and CHOOSE to fix. 

This.  Use quality foil tape.  Shockingly, one of the worst possible uses for duct tape is on duct work. 

The original name was actually "Duck tape" (or so I was reading a while back). Which would kinda explain things. I believe it was due to its waterproof properties (though it was originally a bit of a different formulation).

Guest Lester Weevils

The old formulation duck tape was something else. When I was young'n'dumb had a VW with a leaky back winder and I duck taped plastic over it til it could get fixed. When it came time to take off the duck tape, it took off the paint down to the bare metal.

Guest 6.8 AR

Yeh, Duck Tape and real duct tape are two different things that evolved from the same idea. One is metallic and the

other is webbed plastic. The metallic stuff is a lot more expensive, and is very handy for sealing up heat/coll sensitive holes.

The other is good for anything that needs a temporary patch, including socks. :D