Mosin Nagants

The only current source I know of for buying crates of Mosins is Classic Firearms in NC.  They are getting $2600 as of now, figure $150 minimum to ship and you are looking at $137.50 per rifle.  If you don't have a C&R there will be transfer and background fees as well from your transferring dealer, assuming you can find one who would bother (for a reasonable sum) to do the paperwork for 20 rifles going to different buyers.  Most of the internet retailers (Classic, AIM, J&G, etc.) are offering single rifles for $125-175 depending on the type and variant.  In addition, the big box stores are also running sales on these again, so the price differential is somewhat negligible between a single purchase and multiple sales.  Why go through the hassle of a group buy?  Also, most people with C&R licenses would be very hesitant to participate in such a buy, as it's very possible to run afoul of ATF regs if not done right.  If you are looking for a buy from an individual, Armslist is probably your best bet, as they come up frequently there, usually nearby, and the prices asked have fallen dramatically in recent months as folks have begun to realize that the sky hasn't quite fallen yet.  I can't see any good reason to get involved in a group buy for Mosins, but I can think of many why it's a bad idea.

• Like 1

Alright. My thought was a C&L could buy them, then distribute. Thus saving a lot of money. I've been looking locally, but nothing's come up. I guess I'll keep on...

keep looking, took me a while to find mine though I still haven't shot it :P

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Guest TankerHC

Almost forget, was at Gander Mountain in MS, (Dont they have a Gander right up towards Knoxville?) last week, had a couple of racks of Russians for 179.

Alright. My thought was a C&L could buy them, then distribute. Thus saving a lot of money. I've been looking locally, but nothing's come up. I guess I'll keep on...

You really need to double-check the terms of a C&R license.  It is not for "distributing".

Yes, you can buy and dispose of as you see fit but flipping a crate of rifles is way outside of what that license is for.

Guest TankerHC

You really need to double-check the terms of a C&R license. It is not for "distributing".

Yes, you can buy and dispose of as you see fit but flipping a crate of rifles is way outside of what that license is for.

Don't have it sitting in front of me but I believe the reg says you can sell C&R guns in order to add to your collection or to dispose of a collection. I do have it sitting on the table maybe someone will post before I get home but yep, I believe anything outside of that is a no go.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Irishman

If I've read my C&R license fine print right you can sell from your collection in order to "improve" your collection. To me the gray area is who you sell to. It may be all legal if the buyer is C&R or a F.F.L. Also do not forget to keep a written record of all purchases, trades and sales.

I have one question that perhaps somebody can answer. How many of these "trades" or "sales" can be done before the feds come knocking? 

Guest Riciticky

I would be interested in going in with one or two guys for a crate if there is an interest. Would prefer 2 other guys but might consider one. I have a C@R but never used it yet.

If I've read my C&R license fine print right you can sell from your collection in order to "improve" your collection. To me the gray area is who you sell to. It may be all legal if the buyer is C&R or a F.F.L. Also do not forget to keep a written record of all purchases, trades and sales.

I have one question that perhaps somebody can answer. How many of these "trades" or "sales" can be done before the feds come knocking?

C&R transfers aren’t reported, so they wouldn’t know how many. Someone turning you in or someone with a C&R getting on the internet and offering to do a group buy and sell to non licensees might cause some attention. As has been pointed out; it’s illegal.

Basically an “incident” could set it off. But unless they have a search or arrest warrant it won’t be a knock on the door; it will be a phone call to schedule an inspection.
Guest TankerHC

C&R transfers aren’t reported, so they wouldn’t know how many. Someone turning you in or someone with a C&R getting on the internet and offering to do a group buy and sell to non licensees might cause some attention. As has been pointed out; it’s illegal.

Basically an “incident” could set it off. But unless they have a search or arrest warrant it won’t be a knock on the door; it will be a phone call to schedule an inspection.

As a C&R Holder, I wouldnt want to not put all of them in my book, which not doing would be violating the law. Then when all but two or three were sold, on the off chance that you get inspected, I wouldnt want to have to explain why I ordered a crate of guns on my C&R then sold a bunch. And what I did with the money to improve my collection. Where are the guns I bought to improve my collection?

Too many questions on that "off chance" of getting inspected that would have to be unanswered for a bunch of 100 dollar guns to not pay a visit to stoney lonesome.

Yep, would never happen, no one cares....until it happens to me or someone else.

not a risk I our any C&R holder should be willing to take. Fill your paperwork out, send in with a $30 money order. Wait 60-90 days. Buy all you want, including the sales no one gets to see until the online sellers see your C&R.

BTW, I know a guy in Pa that can get all the crates of 91/30's you want. He was selling them, completely arsenal refinished (Things looked nearly new, except all were counter bored), with complete accessory kits for $115 each just 5 months ago. I had asked him about a crate, he will deal. But for a group buy would still require a transfer. But you could probably do better than some of the prices I have been seeing on some of the C&R sites. I'm not interested, but if anyone is, Ill give him a ring, see what he can do, and pass on his number in a post here in this thread.

Edited by TankerHC