20 year old powder

I have 2 partial cans of Unique and Bullseye that have sat in my basement for the last 20 or so years. Either in a big tackle box like plastic box or on top of my safe. I have just so far been using them for "looks" on my reloading bench but I have wondered about using them lately. Think it's safe to use powder that old that has been unsealed?

I would be interested in that knowledge also...I inherited several cans of powder along with my dad's reloading equipment when he passed...would be nice to not ha e to worry about buying any at this time...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

if it smells ok (like new powder) and doesn't have any funny growing things   I think it was described to me as "cheesy" once

should be fine

A solvent smell is an indication the powder is still quite good.

An Acid smell is a warning the powder has started to break down and nitric acid byproducts are forming from the nitrocellulose breaking down.

Are they the old square metal cans? actually those might be older Some of those old cans are collectors items.

Some of my powders are older than that  and work just fine.

Edited by LngRngShtr
  • Like 3

some powders changed and the load data for the "same" type may be different if you use modern data and old powder, at least I was warned of this when I asked about my old powder. 

Um my powder was close to 20 and it looked nearly identical to today's --- it was in a plastic bottle that more or less looked like today's bottles in other words.  If you have something other than plastic, its probably older still.

I just finished up a can of IMR 4064 that didn't have a upc code on the metal can. I think that dates it to at least the early 80's. It worked fine.

Like others have said, if it doesn't smell or look funny, use it.

Edited by gregintenn

If only powder was still $16.....

Heck...I am still using powder I bought for $8 a pound sometime in the 80's.  Still has the sticker and still shoots as good as new.  Still have some bullseye from no telling how long ago that I still use....60's or 70's

Keep it cool and dry and it lasts a LOOOOOOONG time.

I'm 36 years old.
I just shot some cast 308 loads using components given to me by a very good friend and upstanding member here.
I used Winchester Staynless primers and 2400 powder. The powder was made before I was born and the primers....well, they were in WOODEN trays.

Not only did they go bang but they were some of my more accurate loads to date using this particular boolit.
....oh yeah, the mold is older than me too!
  • Like 2

I had a can of IMR that went bad. It had been stored like all the others I've got, but there was a lot of brown on the powder. I don't remember giving it the sniff test, but it didn't look like a good idea to use so I scatter it out in the yard. It could have been rust residue from the metal can, don't know. It's was nearly full.

I've got some Bullseye in the round cardboard 1 lb. cans I've been using out of for a couple of years.i got it with a bunch of reloading equipment I traded for a few years ago.Also have 2 11 oz. unopened metal cans I bought at a gun show about 8 years ago.I'd like to know how old they are.

some powders changed and the load data for the "same" type may be different if you use modern data and old powder, at least I was warned of this when I asked about my old powder. 

Um my powder was close to 20 and it looked nearly identical to today's --- it was in a plastic bottle that more or less looked like today's bottles in other words.  If you have something other than plastic, its probably older still.

Yeah I got the old timey manuals too.