Anybody else gotten anything off a Persimmons tree?

At a lot of them growing up, folks made preserves from them too. Would find some every couple years maybe after that, but haven't had any in about 20 years now though...

They're great when you catch them at just the right mushy sweet peak, which always varies quite a bit depending on temps, amount of rain, whatever.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

At a lot of them growing up, folks made preserves from them too. Would find some every couple years maybe after that, but haven't had any in about 20 years now though...

They're great when you catch them at just the right mushy sweet peak, which always varies quite a bit depending on temps, amount of rain, whatever.

- OS

They're LOADED on the tree, he says it's from all the rain we had this summer. Can't wait to pick a few more, heh heh. :D

They're LOADED on the tree, he says it's from all the rain we had this summer. Can't wait to pick a few more, heh heh. :D

Generally, if they're still on the tree, they ain't quite perfect for eating plain. The ones that fall by themselves are the primo ones. Seriously.

- OS

• Like 1

I have eaten them off and on all my life, when I find them.  Ripe ones are good - not so ripe ones can pucker your lips.

A couple of years back I had gotten ahold of several from a tree that was loaded.  I talked about them at work and my supervisor said something about her grandmother or aunt, etc. having made something called 'persimmon pudding' when my supervisor was a kid.  She even had the recipe so I made some.  It wasn't exactly a 'pudding' as we might think of it - more like a loose, sweet bread.  Pretty good stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bonedaddy

I love the things. Used to be a lot of'm 'round the place I just moved from and they would sho' bring the critters in. I planted some seeds there for some close to the house. Too bad I'm not still there. Takes 'round 7 years, IIRC, for them to start makin' fruit. I bet there were a good 20 of the trees within a half mile of the house. Some within' 100 yds that the deer and tree rats frequented a lot. Even the yotes will eat'm.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lilfishbigpond
[quote name="Sour Kraut" post="1070482" timestamp="1385676814"]You can buy ones from Asia ( I think) they are are big as a huge tomato..and just as good...[/quote] Persimmons are great - but comparing Asian Persimmons and American Persimmons is almost like comparing Apples and Peaches; they're very different. Both are good but Asian Persimmons are eaten while still hard, and American Persimmons are much smaller and eaten when very soft, as already mentioned above. I had an American Persimmon tree in my backyard as a kid - they were quite tasty but we always tried to get others convinced they were good, then hand them a hard unripe one so we could watch their face pucker up ;-) Or we used the Persimmons as ammo and pelted each other... Now I enjoy eating Asian Persimmons each year when I can get them and found that these are best when they are still mostly hard unlike the American Persimmons. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Guest Bonedaddy

Didn't know there was an Asian persimmon. I need to look into that. Wonder if they take as long to produce fruit as ours and where I could acquire some seed from? Are they even legal to plant here?