Probably about to move to Nashville!

I am possibly about to move to the Nashville for work. It is not settled which particular where we are relocating the business to yet but I am hoping you guys can give me some ideas on what to expect for renting prices and what area may suit what I am looking for.

We have three dogs and will need an outside area so I will mainly be looking for a house and not an apartment with at least a nice front and back yard. Doesn't have to be anything fancy or large as the wife and I don't have kids yet but we don't want to live in a dump. We will probably rent for at least a year to get to know the area then look at buying. I despise the thought of renting but I think it's the smartest option. We will have to sell our house first anyways so I will be commuting back here on the weekends until she is able to find another job. Luckily her workplace is going to be accommodating in her finding another job and she doesn't have to sneak around about it.

EDIT: See latest post for current info.

Edited by maroonandwhite

There are some good and bad points about most of the areas around Nashville and surrounding counties, but in order to keep my reply brief at the moment, try to not end up in Antioch if possible.  If the business ends up on the North side, I'd seriously look at Sumner County, specifically Hendersonville.      

We are in the West Meade area, and we love it.  We've lived in Creive Hall (Harding and 65), but the lots are bigger here and the Nolensville corridor may be encroaching on Creive Hall.  Where we are, it is 10min from downtown, easy 12min drive into Green Hills, 20-25min to Cool Springs.  Big lots, plenty of trees, generally nice people, and desirable land/location value made it a win for us.

I would look for established neighborhoods that are "trending up".  ..  New construction is great, but in our current "economic fitness level" as a nation, getting your money back out of new construction in suburban settings is a question mark.

With that said, there are a ton of good houses in good neighborhoods with good people.. new construction or not.  I would stay away from the north.  

Good luck with your move. 

Well obviously I'd like to spend as little as possible haha. I'll be honest when looking on some realtor sights I got a little bit of sticker shock. I just can't see myself paying $1500 a month in rent. I am hoping to stay around $800-$900 but I may be dreaming. I just hate to spend that much on rent. I wouldn't have a problem spending that on a mortgage note though.

That won't really be an option for us because we will be moving relatively soon and I will have to stay somewhere in Nashville during the week while the wife stays here and works her job until she can find employment in Nashville. I realize I could just stay in a hotel but that would be insanely expensive. I also would really like to get a feel for all the areas around Nashville before buying and that will take some time living in the area. I am looking to stay in the next home we purchase for quite a while so I'd like to really take some time to find the right one.

I just can't see myself paying $1500 a month in rent. I am hoping to stay around $800-$900 but I may be dreaming. 

$800 - $900 per month is what a lot of apartments are going for so finding a single family house would pretty likely land you somewhere you don't want to live.  

the Nashville rental market is really tight right now. It's hard to get anything in the way of a house. The dogs will be a problem, some places are going to say no, others will ask for $350 ea. extra on the deposit and likely some addl. monthly for them. $800-900 is not going to be a beauty of a place, but maybe doable. I know of a house that's being fixed up for rent now, will probably be ready in about 60 days located in Old Hickory. It's probably going to be in the $1000 maybe a little less range. 2BR, 1BA nice detached garage and room for dogs with fenced back yard. Not a bad area, the pricing is typical of what you'll find in Davidson County.

Most real estate agents (unless they are the leasing agent for the property) won't fool with helping you find a place to rent as they hardly make anything on rentals, a lot of times $100. Be careful checking Craigslist for rentals. A high percentage are scams. You might try hotpads or other online listings, but be really careful with Craigslist.

Definitely not going to find anything within a reasonable distance from Nashville for $900.

South is expensive, north has the worst traffic, west is more rural and east is about the same, just a little more congestion

Definitely not going to find anything within a reasonable distance from Nashville for $900.

South is expensive, north has the worst traffic, west is more rural and east is about the same, just a little more congestion

Good summary.  West of Nashville seems to be your best bet.

I live in pleasant view. Right on the cheatham co. Robertson co. Line. I love it out here. Nice land small town and that price range is very doable this way. And from time to time I see quite a few pet friendly houses for rent. I work near 100 oaks and my commute isn't that bad. It helps that pv is right on the interstate to.

I live NW of downtown. The schools aren't as desirable, but since you don't have kids yet, it would be okay for renting. I'm maybe 15 minutes from Pleasant View closer to Ashland City and Briley Parkway.  It's maybe a 15 minute drive from my house to downtown. The downside is that it's rural so it's hard to find rentals or even decent houses near where I live.  Pleasant View has some nicer homes, but it's a few more minutes away from town, depending on how close you are to the Interstate.

I'd suggest you decide where to locate the business and then move away from town a comfortable driving distance. Be sure to test the drive during rush hour morning and afternoon. Some highways are awful during rush hour.

www.Zillow.com will show homes for sale, give you pics, and show their location on a map. You should check it out. It also shows some rentals.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring this old one back from the dead but the time is near!

It's not 100% yet but it looks as if we will be around the fairview area. As I mentioned before we would prefer to live in a rural setting within at least 30 minutes of work. Also as others have said it seems that the rental market is pretty tight around Nashville. Do you think I can expect to find a good number of rental properties that aren't listed on the MLS but rather craigslist or just a sign in the yard?

Trying to stay around $800 a month proves to be difficult the closer to Nashville you get but in the rural areas it doesn't seem impossible. I have mostly mobile homes on an acre or two and some houses close to that range. I am not opposed to a mobile home at all as some of them are pretty nice. We don't have any long term plans to stay where we rent for more than a year so it doesn't matter much as long as the area is safe.

Is the Dickson area a nice area? Seems to be pretty rural.

Sorry to bring this old one back from the dead but the time is near!

It's not 100% yet but it looks as if we will be around the fairview area. As I mentioned before we would prefer to live in a rural setting within at least 30 minutes of work. Also as others have said it seems that the rental market is pretty tight around Nashville. Do you think I can expect to find a good number of rental properties that aren't listed on the MLS but rather craigslist or just a sign in the yard?

Trying to stay around $800 a month proves to be difficult the closer to Nashville you get but in the rural areas it doesn't seem impossible. I have mostly mobile homes on an acre or two and some houses close to that range. I am not opposed to a mobile home at all as some of them are pretty nice. We don't have any long term plans to stay where we rent for more than a year so it doesn't matter much as long as the area is safe.

Is the Dickson area a nice area? Seems to be pretty rural.

I have a 2bd 2 bath apt in bellevue for under 800 a month and they charge a little extra for pets. I work out towards fairview and don't remember there being many rental options when I looked out that way. You may be able to find a house for rent in the Pegram/Kingston Springs area.

Almost everything available in Fairview is for sale, not much in rentals anywhere around here that I've seen.

Dickson is another 15-20 minutes west so you're looking at a 45 minute commute to Nashville from there.

Edited by Sam1