How 'bout those Commodores??!!??

gregintenn

so I suppose this makes the commodores a real sec powerhouse?

Please, don't make an ass of yourself.  I've been a Vandy fan since I was a little kid (I'll be 53 in January).

My father was a Vanderbilt graduate (Phi Beta Kappa, 1956). My wife graduated from Vanderbilt in 1982.

We've suffered through losing seasons year after year.

Probably a reason why I chose to attend (and graduate from) Auburn University (Yeah, that, and the tuition cost).

I'll always be a Vanderbilt fan, and their recent success has been refreshing. I'm also a third generation resident

of Nashville (& work near Vanderbilt), so I appreciate the success Vanderbilt has had.

It's funny, because Vanderbilt has usually been very successful in Basketball and Baseball on a regular basis for a number of years.

Sadly, you sound like one of the Big Ten people I've read on other boards. Anyway, where did you graduate from?

(Don't get me wrong, I have a daughter that's a graduate of Spring Hill College in Mobile, AL [no, they don't have a football team, but she has a very good job//career], another daughter that graduated from UT-Chattanooga this summer [& worked for the UT-Chattanooga football trainer--this paid for 3 years of her tuition]---who are  8-2 so far this season, & a son currently at UT-K).

Guest Bassman17SC

I went to the UT/AUB game yesterday and the Vols apparently have forgotten how to tackle.  It was my most painful visit to Neyland Stadium I've ever had (and I've been going to games there since the '70s).  The whiffs on both the defense and special teams were atrocious.  The lack of "team speed" was clearly evident and shows just how much Tennessee's talent level has fallen since they got rid of Coach Fulmer.  However, I am optimistic about Coach Jones and his ability to build the program into another good one.

On the other hand, I attended Vanderbilt University and have had season tickets there since I was a student in the '80s.  It is very satisfying to see the Commodores finally playing fairly well (and very well at times) over the past several seasons.  If they can keep Coach Franklin, then I see continued success for the program.  As to the game in Knoxville, the Vols have two weeks to prepare they better be ready to play if they are to win and get to 6-6.  They need to play disciplined football and keep their focus as Vanderbilt had a 17-play TD drive yesterday against the mighty Gators.

Yes, I know - how can I be a fan of both football teams?  Well, our entire family is kind of divided.  Dad graduated from Missouri; Mom from Tennessee (and orange/white were the first collegiate colors I ever received, long before I ever thought about attending VU); my middle sister and I attended Vanderbilt; baby sister graduated from Memphis State; I later got my MBA from Belmont.  Pops is kind of psyched about how well Mizzou is playing in the SEC; they seem to be the real deal this year.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TresOsos

I'm happy with Vandy beating UT, they had a good season and you can't just write them off.

UT on the otherhand, needs a good coach and has a decade of rebuilding to do.

I'm happy with Vandy beating UT, they had a good season and you can't just write them off.

In the interest of honesty, it was a pitiful exhibition last night, and in my opinion, both teams should have lost were it possible.

Please, don't make an ass of yourself. I've been a Vandy fan since I was a little kid (I'll be 53 in January).
My father was a Vanderbilt graduate (Phi Beta Kappa, 1956). My wife graduated from Vanderbilt in 1982.
We've suffered through losing seasons year after year.
Probably a reason why I chose to attend (and graduate from) Auburn University (Yeah, that, and the tuition cost).

I'll always be a Vanderbilt fan, and their recent success has been refreshing. I'm also a third generation resident
of Nashville (& work near Vanderbilt), so I appreciate the success Vanderbilt has had.
It's funny, because Vanderbilt has usually been very successful in Basketball and Baseball on a regular basis for a number of years.

Sadly, you sound like one of the Big Ten people I've read on other boards. Anyway, where did you graduate from?

(Don't get me wrong, I have a daughter that's a graduate of Spring Hill College in Mobile, AL [no, they don't have a football team, but she has a very good job//career], another daughter that graduated from UT-Chattanooga this summer [& worked for the UT-Chattanooga football trainer--this paid for 3 years of her tuition]---who are 8-2 so far this season, & a son currently at UT-K).

Easy, let's not take to angry name calling.

We have a good coach. And it won't take a decade, maybe another 2, but not 10.

Vandy fans can enjoy it now. It won't come so easy in the coming years.

Congratulations to Vanderbilt (both parents went there) and they have a very fine coach.  Grew up in Nashville and over the last 60+ years watched their pathetic program.  Vanderbilt football has gotten much better.  But lets be realistic.  Vanderbilt has gotten big brakes on scheduling versus teams being at their low points in their programs.  In 2012 Vanderbilt beat five  SEC teams (UT, Auburn, Kentucky, Missouri with James Franklin hurt, and a rebuilding Ole Miss team).  The combined SEC records of these five teams was 6 wins and 34 losses.  The only team they beat with a winning record was  the University of Mississippi (with a 7 and 6 record).  This year they have won 4 SEC games.  Three of the teams have a losing record.  Georgia is the only team that they beat with a winning record this year. 

They had better enjoy their last two wins over UT.  Unless their recruiting improves dramatically UT will be back beating them again next year.

I can't remember a year when Florida and Tennessee were so pathetic in the same year as this year.  And Georgia lost their best receiver before the season and I believe both of Georgia's best running backs were hurt/out for the season in the Vanderbilt game.  I am glad Vanderbilt has been doing some winning.  Vanderbilt fans need to enjoy these seasons.  But look at the 2014 recruiting class rankings.  Nine teams in the SEC ahead of Vanderbilt (UT at #2).  And who knows what is going to happen with the rape case.  Looks like some of the defense attorneys may be willing to play dirty with Vanderbilt.   This could cause James Franklin to find another job more quickly.

I can't remember a year when Florida and Tennessee were so pathetic in the same year as this year. And Georgia lost their best receiver before the season and I believe both of Georgia's best running backs were hurt/out for the season in the Vanderbilt game. I am glad Vanderbilt has been doing some winning. Vanderbilt fans need to enjoy these seasons. But look at the 2014 recruiting class rankings. Nine teams in the SEC ahead of Vanderbilt (UT at #2). And who knows what is going to happen with the rape case. Looks like some of the defense attorneys may be willing to play dirty with Vanderbilt. This could cause James Franklin to find another job more quickly.

Not trying to sling mud at Vandy, but I've heard he possible obstructed justice by telling players to delete phone messages. Don't know if that's true or not, or even if it's being pursued. Either way I don't know if Franklin is at Vandy long term.

I'm thinking Franklin bites on an offer from a bigger-time program in the coming few years.  He's a really good coach.  I just don't see his career trajectory needs being satisfied at Vandy long term.  Vandy beating UT 2 years in a row is much like Halley's comet...happens just under every hundred years, pretty to watch, but not a permanent state.  I see UT building back to mid-level SEC consistently with occasional years where they challenge for the division title as the program rebuilds; and Vandy going back to consistent mediocrity when Franklin does leave.  After all, who would want to follow his act there with the expectations that have been developed recently?