Thoughts on a good Starter Rifle

PirateQui

I am looking to buy my first gun. I've been told by numerous parties to buy a .22 as it will be easy to work on the basic mechanics of marksmanship and the ammo is much cheaper than the larger ammo. My question is what would be a good .22 to purchase? What should I avoid / look out for to make sure I get a quality piece of equipment but still pay a reasonable amount? Should I be looking to purchase a used .22 or should I buy a new rifle?

Any thoughts on this would be helpful.

Thanks,

Pirate

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tjbert47

I would absolutely go with a .22cal. You can and will shoot it more than any other caliber. I would look for a bolt action and used would be my choice. You can get more gun for the money. And maybe even a single shot would serve your purpose if you are wanting to learn to shoot.

I would say a bolt action. they're excellent for learning the mechanics of marksmanship. you can learn basic marksmanship, breathing and all of it will allow you to be a better shooter. buying a .22 does 3 things. It allows you to get used to a firearm with minimal recoil, the bolt action allows you to have better accuracy and the .22 caliber allows you to shoot more economically..ergo more rounds for your money.

a 10/22 is okbut you'd do better with a bold action. a 10/22 is easier to find though..and will give about the same results.

one good thing about BRM is that you can learn many of the skills you need by doing dime drills and you don't even need ammo to practice it.

Yes, a Ruger 10/22 from good old WalMart is the best place to start. I would suggest using a better grade of .22 ammo, for example "minimag." It is popular and not over the top on cost, but not the cheapest either. It is reliable and accurate ammo. Remember too, a .22 rifle is a 50 yard gun.

For a second rifle, you might want to get a Marlin lever-action in 30/30 caliber. The 30/30 is a 100 yard gun.

Pwsh.... when i was growin up my grand daddy gave me a Mosin M44. I turned out just fine. :D

He said, when you can cut down smalls trees with it then your a good shot.

Guest coldblackwind

I personally started with a .22 bolt action that had been cut down to fit a 5 year old, then moved on to a rossi pump .22. 10/22's are great guns (I have 2) but I gotta say that ole rossi is dead accurate, cheaper than dirt, and has never once malfunctioned, whereas the 10/22's will occasionally. If I take a new shooter to the range, I generally start them with that. Cheaper than a 10/22, more fun than a bolt action, and hold more rounds.

Heck go to www.aimsurplus.com and buy a mosin nagant for $69.95 and a 440rd box of non corrosive light ball for $79.95 and call it a day. That way if SHTF you would have something that could actually protect you :-D

Exactly my point on my post...

Point stealer... :cool:

Guest Grizzly Johnson

I have a Marlin 25N bolt action with the micro groove barrel. It was the first gun my dad bought for me when I turned 11. I am almost 30 now and the gun still looks as good and performs like the day I got it. We practiced for squirrel hunting by shooting walnuts out of the tree in the back yard. I put a Deerfield 3x9x40WO about 10 years ago on top and I have never had a problem ever out of this set-up, and the scope has never had to be resighted either. It is VERY accurate and simple. It has a 7 shot clip and you can buy extra clips pretty cheap.

My first gun, 12th Christmas, 1960.

Production ended in '54, so must have been used, but I remember it being shiny new :cool:

Model 121 Remington Fieldmaster

Still shoots great.

You can mix .22 short, long, LR, any ole way, will fire them all off quick as you can pump.

- OS

fieldmaster.jpg

Guest Bronker
My first gun, 12th Christmas, 1960.

Production ended in '54, so must have been used, but I remember it being shiny new :stir:

Model 121 Remington Fieldmaster

Still shoots great.

You can mix .22 short, long, LR, any ole way, will fire them all off quick as you can pump.

- OS

fieldmaster.jpg

That's awesome OS. I too have my very first gun. Stevens / Savage .22LR single-shot bolt action. Got it on my 7th birthday. That was 30 years ago come December.

Good story.

So I bought a 10/22. How much time should I spend with the iron sights before I purchase a scope? When I'm shooting I'm having a hard time seeing the sight at the end of the barrel while I'm focused on the target. Any advice?

Congrats on the 10/22...a gun that can just about do everything well. Focus on good shooting and handling skills first. Go to the library and check out a copy of "The Complete Book of Shooting" by Jeff Cooper.

At .22 ranges the scopes are somewhat overrated and you will be really surprised how well you can shoot with simple iron sights granted your eyesight is good. I have seen people shoot 2" 100 yard groups with iron sights..!

Learning and putting into practice "how" to shoot well is very, very important.

/And fun