cleaning bore snakes

I do the inside-a-cloth-bag method, in the washing machine. I have enough shop-rags and work mats to make a small load of wash, about once a month. I try to throw in any linseed rags I may have, as well as bath mats and bore snakes.

So far, this has fit the bill nicely.
The bottle cleaning method is cool.The bore snake is the last thing I run through my weapons after completing a normal cleaning.I like it to be the component that does a final wipe with a thin film of lube at the end of a thorough cleaning. Edited by Dustbuster

I put mine in a empty soda or water bottle with hot water and dish soap, then shake the piss out of it. You'd be surprised how black the water is after

Every time I go into a LGS I take a gander at the "Bore Snakes". Never used one..Your simple "water bottle shake the piss out of it" just sold me. Next trip I'm getting one!

Are they all as tight as my .17 ? I swear I thought the cord was gonna break when it was half way up the barrel the first time and it really never got much easier.

Some are, some aren't. Also varies by the caliber being cleaned. The snake for .22 is the same as for .223. That little bit larger diameter makes a difference. Super tight in my Savage .22, but moves with less effort in the AR. 12 gauge is easier to pull than the others to me. The snake is woven tighter in the smaller calibers making them tighter and harder to pull.

Speaking of 12 gauge, I think id need a six pack of bottles to clean that one. Shotties get NASTY.
Best way ruin a barrel and chambering is with a bore snake you can not remove all the particles in the rope on one and over time this will scratch the riflings and chamber in your barrel. Get a good bore guide and a one piece cleaning rod. Well unless you just don't care about the barrel then have at it.

sent from RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk Pro

Best way ruin a barrel and chambering is with a bore snake you can not remove all the particles in the rope on one and over time this will scratch the riflings and chamber in your barrel. Get a good bore guide and a one piece cleaning rod. Well unless you just don't care about the barrel then have at it.

sent from RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk Pro

Is that your professional opinion?

Is that your professional opinion?

I'm gonna take his word for it. Guys got 40+lb über duty bench gun and does some pretty crazy long range shooting from what it looks like. It's possible that he's got the same or more into one barrel than I have in two ARs. With that in mind...

Now for the rest of us, probably not a big deal. ;)

I don't know why I've resisted bore snakes this long. I'm using the Otis pull through the breach system now so I'm already half way there I guess? Maybe I'll grab some after the holidays.

I'm gonna take his word for it. Guys got 40+lb über duty bench gun and does some pretty crazy long range shooting from what it looks like. It's possible that he's got the same or more into one barrel than I have in two ARs.

Ah, my apologies then. All too often that's not the case I'm afraid
  • 2 weeks later...

as soon as he said bore guide I realized he was talking about a precision gun.  Yeah, those are a different story than a pistol or everyday rifle.  I personally use boresnakes just to clean my gun on the way home from the range just in case I need a semi-clean gun or to start the cleaning process at the house.  For shotguns though it's all I use.  For my precision Defiance Machine build with my custom 4-button lilja barrel, I wouldn't use one either.